Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UB control, not faerie no ts or coldsnap

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
metroman722

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: UB control, not faerie no ts or coldsnap Reply with quote

Ok, ive been working with u/b control and its just not that effective as ive realized.

It lacks an effective board sweeper...*cough*damnation*cough*, so in its place is soul snuffers which is sub par. which also means i need more spot removal in order to keep anything bigger than x/1 off the table. Counters are ok but there is no consistent 2cc counterspot *cough* rune snag, delay *cough*. No incredibly good flash creature *cough* Teferi, Aeon chronicler (not flash but suspend)*cough* and oona is ok in place of korlash, but i just can't fit him.

so with all that out of the way...

B/U control

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
6 [LRW] Swamp (2)
4 [LRW] Island (3)
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [10E] Underground River
4 [LRW] Secluded Glen
4 [SHM] Sunken Ruins

// Creatures
2 [LRW] Wydwen, the Biting Gale
4 [EVE] Soul Snuffers

// Spells
1 [MOR] Mind Shatter
1 [10E] Diabolic Tutor
2 [MOR] Mind Spring
2 [LRW] Profane Command
4 [EVE] Dream Fracture
4 [LRW] Broken Ambitions
3 [EVE] Unmake
3 [LRW] Eyeblight's Ending
4 [10E] Terror
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command

wydwen- its pretty good. Evasion, flash, flying. Same cc as cryptic so i can do one or the other turn 4 some times.

Soul snuffers- ineffective board sweeper

Mind shatter- pretty good actually. Once you get some control over the board its a pretty nice card. Bounce collosus end step with cryptic and mind shatter him away Smile

Diabolic Tutor- MYSTICAL TEACHINGS Sad

Mind Spring- its alright, need good draw cards from shards

Profane command- SICKNASTY! especially if you can sneak some damage, this can easily put the game away against gb elves and some red decks.

Dream fracture, Cryptic Command, Broken Ambition- Counterspells

Terror, Eyeblights Ending, Unmake- Spot removal since there is no board sweep.

manabase is consistent somehow but yeah, so sub-par needs a lot of work

constructive criticism please, its a work in progress and i am by no means a good deck builder.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
metroman722

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cause theres no real time left to work on anything other than tweaking your faeries deck so i figured id look ahead...

got a problem?
arkadias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok look ahead

but fearies will obviously be tier 1 until LWR/SH block rotates out of standard, so if you're going to play UB either play the fae or mannequin
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need a lot more powerful win conditions than Wydwen and Soul Snuffers. Wydwen is good, but Soul Snuffers are useless. You probably need Oona as well as Bitterblossom and Ashling the Extinguisher... at the very least. Add Sower of Temptation, Ghastlord of Fugue, Shriekmaw, Razormane Masticore, Midnight Banshee as well while you're at it.

Sitting back and counter stuff until you get lucky and find one of 2 real win conditions does not work anymore. Control decks nowadays destroy stuff early on then start dropping more powerful win conditions than the more aggroish decks.
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list that Ved came up with. I will detail the changes that you should make for post rotation. Please keep in mind that we don't have a lot of info on Shards at this time so I will use known cards and in print cards for the changes. This is the base list at the top.

// Lands
8 [TSP] Island (1)
4 [TSP] Swamp (1)
4 [LRW] Secluded Glen
4 [SHM] Sunken Ruins
3 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

// Creatures
4 [TSB] Shadowmage Infiltrator
3 [SHM] Sygg, River Cutthroat
3 [LRW] Shriekmaw
2 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant
2 [SHM] Glen Elendra Liege
2 [TSP] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

// Spells
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
4 [CS] Rune Snag
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [PLC] Damnation

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [10E] Bottle Gnomes
SB: 3 [10E] Deathmark
SB: 3 [10E] Boomerang
SB: 3 [MOR] Mind Shatter
SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle

So what is the deck going to lose? Shadowmage Infiltrator, Teferi, Venser, Damnation, and Rune Snag. That's only 14 cards or almost 1/5th of the deck. That's a big change. We need to find cards that are a least close to what we had before.

Shadowmage Infiltrator is an easy to replace card with Augury Adept. There is of course the chump blocker issue but it's the only thing that can fill that role.

Teferi and Venser are replaceable. I would suggest another tempo card to replace Venser like Vendilion Clique. I would replace Teferi with Oona. She is such a beast and if you untap with her in play it is really hard not to win.

Damnation is also not replaceable with any known cards. I would play Terror or Eyeblight's Ending in the slot for the time being until we know more about Shards.

Rune Snag is the hardest card to replace in the deck. On one hand you could be more proactive and play Thoughsieze. On the other hand you can go for more card drawing with Sage's Dousing. Both are really good and you should consider your meta game before committing to one or the other. I think that Sage's Dousing would be the correct card for my meta as Red Deck Wins is VERY BIG here. If you have a slower meta then play Thoughtsieze for sure.

So the deck would look something like this. With the very minor loss of Urborg, I removed one Reflecting Pool to add two more Swamps to smooth out the mana. This version is untested and is provided as a guide to UB aggro control.

// NAME: Wizards!
// AUTHOR: R3wind

// Lands
8 [TSP] Island (1)
6 [TSP] Swamp (1)
4 [LRW] Secluded Glen
4 [SHM] Sunken Ruins
2 [SHM] Reflecting Pool

// Creatures
4 [SHM] Augury Adept
3 [SHM] Sygg, River Cutthroat
3 [LRW] Shriekmaw
2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
2 [SHM] Glen Elendra Liege
2 [SHM] Oona, Queen of the Fae

// Spells
4 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [MOR] Sage's Dousing
2 [10E] Terror

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [10E] Bottle Gnomes
SB: 3 [10E] Deathmark
SB: 3 [10E] Boomerang
SB: 3 [MOR] Mind Shatter
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
itsnotme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont u simply play UB kelpie?
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well given the fact that it takes Kelpie a long time to win, I would go for something faster. I don't want match to go to time in a tourney. Like most players I would like to eat something or go to the bathroom.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1