Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proving Intentional delays

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
R_Bastardsen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Proving Intentional delays Reply with quote

I had a chat with the judges today about a player I thought may be delaying game 2 so that his game 1 win would be a round win. Whether it was intentional in this case or not, I'd like to avoid being cheated that way in the future.

I was told that I would have to prove the delay. irc as used in the chat-rooms doesn't keep time-stamped logs of conversations. They suggested I use chat client that does keep timestamped logs. They also suggested that I save MWS logs.

I want to be prepared in case it comes up again. But asking my opponent to communicate with me using MSN, Yahoo, or anything else doesn't seem realistic when that is all provided on the site. MWS logs will not always contain the info I need, for example, of delays in reconnecting.

Since this doesn't quite sound like real advice to me, I'd like to ask you fine folks here the question they would not answer for me - is there any precedence - has anyone ever had a judge rule that their claims of delay were proven - and then had that judge act on it? I don't mean simple cases like your opponent not showing up. Specifically, if possible, have you had a disconnection, and had the other player not reconnect without being asked repeatedly? What was the result?

If there is no precedent for something being done about this sort of shenanigans, then it surely isn't worth any efforts on my part to try to prevent being cheated that way.

I was also advised that I'll get more connection (and reconnection) problems using the mwsgames server. I was advised that sending my opponent my IP is more reliable. The judge also said that he had been playing that way for 4 years and had never been hacked. I'd like to ask if you've ever had problems as a result of giving out your IP?

Thanks for your thoughts on all of this.
Craze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah people have been giving their ips to each other for like 6 years or so on this league, and I have yet to hear of someone getting hacked.

Secondly the program they told you to get to keep timestamps was called mIRC. The current chat system you use on the website is a java application that connects to a irc server called solidirc. mIRC is just a better version of the java one. Its an individual FREE program that most people on the league use, in fact if you become a judge you pretty much are required to use it.
Its got a dozen advantages over the java piece of crap the site has such as:
-keeping timestamps and recording logs of all your chats
-Being able to change the back ground and the color/fonts of what you see
-Allowing you to(with scripting knowledge) build automated scripts to do anything from playing UNO to trivia
-and several more advantages

if your interested in playing at magic-league alot I suggest you look into: http://www.magic-league.com/guide/mirc.php
R_Bastardsen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I thought the judge told me that no IRC program kept logs. I guess I misunderstood.

Is the mIRC Guide out of date? The one I installed doesn't have the same interface. Let me know if you have any suggestions on another good guide, otherwise it may take me some time to get it working.

Oh, my opponent today said he couldn't connect to my IP. Any thoughts on what might cause that?
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you have a firewall or mws is blocked by your computer. the mirc interface is different but the guide still helps you as the tools and etc are all the same mostly. giving your ip to someone doesnt mean they can rly hack you anyway. anyone able to hack you probably has better things to do then hack some random mlers computer.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1