Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 cards. That would completly warp the meta.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
gmoney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: 5 cards. That would completly warp the meta. Reply with quote

1. Engineered Plague

Fae, Merfolk, Kithkin, Elves...
if you add engineered plague to the meta every deck now has to splash black for the best SB card. Plague would slow down deck's so that more doran decks would be prevelent.

2. Goblin Ringleader

We would now be looking at a much less token oriented build of goblins. I feel the ringleader is the primary culprit as it is basically a potentially unholy source of cardadvantage(sorry Wort, Boggart Auntie) w/ the ringleader the deck now has all the parts necessary to dominate

goblin lords
mogg fanatic
earwig squad
frogtosser banneret

3. daze

another card that would slow down the goldfishes of the more dominate decks. would give Draw-Go-Counter strategies a chance against the amount of early game pressure they face and would help a blue mage survive until CC comes online.

4. Lightning Helix

BOROS! lightning helix w/ balefire liege in play is exciting enough for me to bring back the fallen Rav guild. would be the effective utility spell the deck needs to reach critical mass on RW spells for the Mimic and have the lifegain to fight the other aggro decks that are winning with fog combat conditions.

5. Sword of Ice/Fire

Would give less linear creature strategies a power card to compete w/ all the Lorwyn synergies.

Anyways it was a debat me and some friends were having and we all agreed on Engineered Plague so the rest are IMOP.
Engineered Plague is the only reactive spell on the list (give or take helix) i just think the rest attack open areas of the current meta.
curly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOO I KNOW how bout the whole entire extended card pool!!! or better yet the whole legacy card pool! standard would just kick some ass then.
Craze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curly wrote:
OOOO I KNOW how bout the whole entire extended card pool!!! or better yet the whole legacy card pool! standard would just kick some ass then.

in some cases sarcasm is just stupid. Welcome to one of those.
Alvaro21k

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Force Spike or Daze and watch Fae go completely mad.
trueeevil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterspell, Force of will, remand, etc.

Goblin ringleader might not be that good without warchief.
Kholdstare42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armageddon much?
gmoney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there are huge cardpools in both extended and legacy my whole arguement is that it would only take a few of those cards to make the whole meta change completly almost all of those cards have got to be considered for some reprint in the near future (barring the Goblin Ringleader)

i think they are gunna reprint the engineered plague for sure
[/quote]
ZW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineered Plague doesn't help that much versus elves, and its not incredible versus merfolk. Doran would not dominate the format, that is one of the craziest things I've heard. Engineered plague does nothing to help doran beat mono red. Sword of fire and ice is slow, and you can always burn the creature in response, not to mention it does nothing to help versus demigod. Daze would only be good versus bitterblossom. Goblins is already slow enough in T2, ringleader would just add another expensive spell. Lightning helix would not do much, as there are not enough good red and white cards that could go together to make a competitive deck, and adding red to kithkin would ruin it, as would adding white to rdw. Engineered plague would only really help versus faeries, and it has to resolve first. Plague really does the same thing as raking canopy, except canopy can kill clique, and plague is good versus mutavault. I doubt many people would splash black for it, and none of these cards would really do much to the format.
gypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could say any card could warp the meta but they dont because they arent in the format so why bother speculating on something that doesnt exist
curly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah exactly,gypsy, its liek saying jitte in the formate would warp it.
gypsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZW wrote:
Engineered Plague doesn't help that much versus elves, and its not incredible versus merfolk. Doran would not dominate the format, that is one of the craziest things I've heard. Engineered plague does nothing to help doran beat mono red. Sword of fire and ice is slow, and you can always burn the creature in response, not to mention it does nothing to help versus demigod. Daze would only be good versus bitterblossom. Goblins is already slow enough in T2, ringleader would just add another expensive spell. Lightning helix would not do much, as there are not enough good red and white cards that could go together to make a competitive deck, and adding red to kithkin would ruin it, as would adding white to rdw. Engineered plague would only really help versus faeries, and it has to resolve first. Plague really does the same thing as raking canopy, except canopy can kill clique, and plague is good versus mutavault. I doubt many people would splash black for it, and none of these cards would really do much to the format.

plague is a lot better vs faeries than canopy. canopy they have to sit and wait for command then attack, but with plague they cant rly wait for cryptic cuz they will have no guys from bitterblossom.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZW wrote:
Plague really does the same thing as raking canopy, except canopy can kill clique, and plague is good versus mutavault. I doubt many people would splash black for it, and none of these cards would really do much to the format.

I completely disagree with you on comparing the Engineered Plague to Raking Canopy. Much less saying the Canopy will have more of an effect.

Raking Canopy will only do something when your opponent attacks into it. So the Fae player will keep pumping out tokens and Scions/Spellstutters/Cliques and then Cryptic Command the Canopy, tap your creatures and swing. GG.

Where as if it were a Plague, Bitterblossom would have no use except as a champion for Clique (which would be the only way to champion Clique besides Muta) since Spellstutters and Scions would die immediately. Forcing the Fae player to hold back, use the Cryptic Command to bounce the Plague and hold a counter to stop it next turn since they can't just bounce and swing.

Not to mention that if on the play and your opponent goes turn 2 Blossom and you go turn 3 Plague with counter backup for the Commands, then the game is yours.

So vs Fae- Engineered Plague > Raking Canopy
Balthazar88
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound that crazy that Engineered Plauge will be reprinted in say 11th. It's a very "core basy" kind of card that would be relevant in todays meta.
Shagrath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I will not be surprised if plague comes with shards of alara
PhyrePhox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would rather have tsabos decree than plague.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2