Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EVE MBC

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
jdf121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: EVE MBC Reply with quote

MBC V.1

23 Lands
4 Mutavaults
19 Swamps

16 Creatures
4 Creakwood Liege
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Murderous Redcap
4 Shriekmaw

21 Other Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Nameless inversion
2 Damnation
4 Unmake
4 Cruel Edict
3 Mind Shatter

There are a lot of creatures but most of them kill others and act as blockers to hold down quick threats. Liege is Win cond. and mind shatter can be used after liege hits to regulate their hand if needed. I thought about nightmare incursion (I remember how good extraction was, but incursion is strictly worse) I decided I wasn’t a good fit. Its record so far is 3-0 in straight games against and EVE tweaked doran deck. Thoughts??
ZW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not strictly worse. While it is worse alot of the time, there are definentally situations where it is better. Anyway, it seems like your deck would have a hard time vs. many of the major decks, including red deck wins, elves because of chameleon and man lands, and faeries. Faeries seems like a very, very hard matchup which is not good when it is the format's most popular deck.
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Urborg>1 Swamp
PonzaFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing I learned about playing black it's that no matter what you will not win unless you have at least, the very very least 4 answers to Colossus MD, and that's bare minimum. Edict might work some times, damnation is alright, and thoughtseize is probably your real gold but doesn't do much for topdecks. It's hard playing MBC in today's environment but good luck. Maybe you can find a card to lock him down like trip noose I'm not sure.
jdf121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about collossus. I played a overbeing of myth deck that ran ohran viper, myth, collossus, counters and lots of drawing. It was close. He won the first game and I took the last two. Counters are a problem as I found out in this game too. If I get the liege out for a couple of turns, it becomes a race with collossus. Like I said, counters are a problem, so fae is too prolly. I'm just feeling out something new. see how it goes. What is MBC's answer to counters? Hand disruption?

EVE Doran tweak - 3-0
EVE Myth, counter, draw - 2-1
D'storm - 0-2 Ignite got me both times.
jdf121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this. Here is my pick for a sb. It was done very quickly so..

4 Trip Noose
4 Warren Weirding
3 Nighmare Incursion
2 Smallpox
2 Stupor

Everything really is for chameleon. Noose, weirding for more sac, incursion if I can manage to get rid of a few early ones, pox for more control vs anything, not sure about stupor. It seems ok, but haven't ever used it.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnotic Specter isn't good. Run Korlash instead. Or Demigod of Revenge.
jdf121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are u serious?? specter isn't good?? For MBC? thats just not true. it needs to be in there for the 3 drop. 4 is flooded, so no korlash. revenge may be good, but im keeping specter so its not taking its place. Ill look at it, but this deck is worse w/o specter cause you lose lots of hand control.

more games.
EVE wither deck - 2-1 (wrecked after board.)
Merfolk- 1-0 he left right as I was smashing his face in round 1...
IgnisFatuus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liege doesn't really impress me. He is somewhat fragile, seeing as he dies to much of the format's removal: Incinerate, Nameless Inversion, Recap and pretty much every other creature. The same is true of Hippie Spec, which is rather slow (as a 2/2 for 3) compared to similarly sized creatures in the format. I think Korlash would be better in the 4-drop spot. And I think Demigod should also be in the deck. I think relying on 4x Liege as the only real finisher will make it really hard to actually kill people, especially given how easily the Liege can be handled.

Also, you should run 4 Damnation over some of the spot removal. With so many one-for-one cards (Inversion, Edict, Unmake, and Thoughtseize), I can see this deck easily running out of gas. You need cards that provide more card advantage (like Damnation) or some way to draw cards (Graveborn Muse does not sound good, but it's the only thing that comes to mind.)
jdf121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liege is sick. Sure, he can die, but not when they don't have a hand. If they do topdeck some removal, there will be a wurm or two in play and I can drop another. It sprouts creatures like an amoeba. In testing, game is over when it drops. You could be right about damnation, but I haven't ran out on spot removal yet.

You guys are just not seeing the benefits of the hippie. Its good.
jdf121

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBC V. 1.5

23 Lands
4 Mutavault
18 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

16 Creatures
4 Creakwood Liege
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Murderous Redcap
4 Shriekmaw

21 Other Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Nameless inversion
2 Damnation
4 Unmake
4 Cruel Edict
3 Mind Shatter

Sideboard

4 Trip Noose
4 Warren Weirding
3 Nighmare Incursion
2 Smallpox
2 Stupor

EVE Doran- 3-0
EVE Myth, counter, draw- 2-1
D'storm- 0-2
EVE Wither- 2-1
Merfolk- 1-0
Scarecrows- 7-0

So far, it only lost to d'storm. Ignite memories both games. Haven't played fae yet. Merfolk gets faced. RDW will probably beat me easily. But the ones I saw in the last trial are really creature heavy...
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I would run icy over trip nose
jdf121

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, I dunno. I just don't like the idea of spending an entire turn casting the arti. I'll look at it, but I haven't even had to use noose yet, so I don't know how it does...
Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about possible cardadvantage and 3-drops, Dusk Urchins come to my mind.

Another guy that could be interesting is Ashling, the Extinguisher:

When he deals damage YOU chose the target, which means he can theoretically kill a colossus. Problem is that a colossus will ofc block him, but if you can tap him you are fine. Ashling also survives almost any spotremoval in the format.

But the most important question is: Why do you play Mono Black when it is so easy to splash colours in this format? That would only make sense when you play cards that really benefit from having a huge number of swamps, like Korlash or Corrupt or Tendrils of curruption.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shogun wrote:
T
But the most important question is: Why do you play Mono Black when it is so easy to splash colours in this format? That would only make sense when you play cards that really benefit from having a huge number of swamps, like Korlash or Corrupt or Tendrils of curruption.

... or all of them.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2