Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Deck - "Let's Go Fly a Kite

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Yuri5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: New Deck - "Let's Go Fly a Kite Reply with quote

land:
7 Snow covered forest
9 Snow covered mountain
3 highland weald

Creatures:
2 Grim Poppet
2 Hostility
4 Bodargan Hellkite
2 Stuffy Doll
3 Wall of Roots

Sorcery:
4 Harmonize
4 Into the North
3 Molten Disaster
3 Primal Command

Instant:
4 Skred
4 Sulferous Blast

Artifact:
4 Coalition relic

Planeswalker:
2 Garruk Wildspeaker

Sideboard:
4 Krosan Grip
4 Vexing Shusher
2 Detiritiore
3 Squall Line
2 Akroma, Angel of Fury

When I got 4 Bogardan Hellkites pretty easy in a trade, I decided to mess around and throw them into a deck. the only way I figured out how to consistantly pull them out of the deck was to use the power of green mana ramping and mana excelling to get them out. I always loved the Snow lands and Coldsnap in general, so using those land was just natural. Into the north allowed me to run the Highland wealds, not to mention that using most of my snow mountains involved ripping apart my Skred Red deck. I never looked at Red Green Mana Ramp, but I've been told the mana gathering was strangly identicle. After dissassembling my skred red I just decided to throw the two decks together into one. After I played is several times and tweaked it to what it is now, I went to a magic tourney and took first. The Deck is not cookie cutter, however it's bad match-ups are Faries, and, for some reason, "stompy". other then that it outraces most others, and has an answer for everything else. the Side board runs control hate, which leaves faeries in the cold. please destroy my deck with your words now?
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen worse, like my own for example...
ebbitten

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 lands in a mana deck just seems wrong, i know that you have accel but you still need to be able to hit each drop consistently. The rest looks cool
OldBear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to emphasise the point you are not playing anywhere near enough lands typically a deck like this would want 24.
ransom3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a kite deck you definitely need Tatterkite.
Yuri5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zemuppet: blarg!!!

ebb, and trot: try it before you tell me what for!!!

ransome: lawls!!
Orlandu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

I'd suggest -2 Poppet -2 Hostility -4 Sulfurous blast for +1 Wall of roots +2 Mouth of Ronom +1 Mountain +4 Firespout
R3wind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to drop the Moltens. They are not very good right now.
Yuri5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orlandu: poppet deals with creatures one at a time very well, I hated using a huge skred on a small creature or a feild removal on small creatures. the hostility as just a 6/6 haste beatstick that I do not depend on at all. sulfurous blast is far better then firespout. eitherway, my creatures do not care that they got hit, so the selevtivity of firespout is out, one more cost to hit the player and allow me instant speed is sooo worth it. if there was a 5 cost WoG would you play it (retoricle)? 4 walls was played, then I got colo relics and wall was soo much less..... agro can be burn away easy enough...... mouths are colorless and not good for me, I tried, but they didnt make the cut so well.... "I destroy my land to hit a creature then top deck hellkite next turn and cannot play pass turn" not my favorite thing to think stop adding land to me T.T

rewind: I run molten because merfolk is played often enough, not only that, but it's a split second to my stuffy win..... stuffy doll is the second win condition, hostility is third, poppet is 4th, hellkite is number one baby!!! lol... uhmm, moleten disaster allows me to tie game 1 against those pesky blue white counter control bitches T.T resolving stuffy doll is nice though, I did that once without sidboard tech, and oh man he should have just scouped after stuffy was choosing him ^.^
Noobsauce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try out their suggestions before telling them they're wrong?
Yuri5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobsauce: I have tried most of the advice, I did run 23 land at one point..... however it was just not worth the hassle. grimmy was thrown in because of issues and has been good to me since.

bananas: you've told me one thing I haven't tried so far.... cloud thresher would be nice, but I am almost affraid to run it because I run more red based creature then green. running him might make it so I drop 1 mountain, and go up one forest.... but other then that it's workable...... I might give it a try, I Just like how having the creatures that I do, they do what they do best most of the time and that's just get in their damage then fish out removal
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuri5 wrote:
orlandu: poppet deals with creatures one at a time very well, I hated using a huge skred on a small creature or a feild removal on small creatures. the hostility as just a 6/6 haste beatstick that I do not depend on at all. sulfurous blast is far better then firespout. eitherway, my creatures do not care that they got hit, so the selevtivity of firespout is out, one more cost to hit the player and allow me instant speed is sooo worth it. if there was a 5 cost WoG would you play it (retoricle)? 4 walls was played, then I got colo relics and wall was soo much less..... agro can be burn away easy enough...... mouths are colorless and not good for me, I tried, but they didnt make the cut so well.... "I destroy my land to hit a creature then top deck hellkite next turn and cannot play pass turn" not my favorite thing to think stop adding land to me T.T

rewind: I run molten because merfolk is played often enough, not only that, but it's a split second to my stuffy win..... stuffy doll is the second win condition, hostility is third, poppet is 4th, hellkite is number one baby!!! lol... uhmm, moleten disaster allows me to tie game 1 against those pesky blue white counter control bitches T.T resolving stuffy doll is nice though, I did that once without sidboard tech, and oh man he should have just scouped after stuffy was choosing him ^.^

If you rank your win conditions like that, it means that the 2nd to 4th are suboptimal. Compared to Cloudthresher, Chameleon Colossus and Siege-Gang Commander they obviously are, and don't tell me you don't know that.

If you use Molten Disaster just to get a tie with UW control, it means that it has no proper function in the deck. Firespout is more efficient at killing creatures, and since you are a control deck, Molten Disaster is rarely a win condition. Play max one.

19 lands are not enough to drop a land each turn. If you use your mana acceleration to get enough mana, then it isn't mana acceleration at all. The mana you get with your accelerators should come in addition to the obligatory land drop each turn (with the help of Harmonize). You need to play more than one spell each turn, and with the extremely high casting costs of your spells, that is unlikely in a relevant period of the game.

Finally - don't pretend your deck is better than regular RG manaramp, because it isn't.
Mirage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This deck isn't new at all. Don't try to make a successful Stuffy Doll deck by throwing it into a proven deck.
ZW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your joke about how the deck outraces others with hellkite. Your deck never ever gets 8 mana, it has 19 lands. R/G ramp decks have 8-10 accel cards and 23-24 and they couldn't use hellkite to outrace opponents. Have you tested at all? The deck seems much worse than you think...

Also, in a deck with as lands as horrible as this, play search for tomorrow, not relic, because most of the time you will not hit land 3. I'm not making fun of the deck, its the truth. You need way more lands.
onecleanceli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to be as nice as possible here:
a) you run so little land for a "mana-ramp" deck with only 7 accelerants
b) where is cloudthresher? your 'bad matchup' is faeries but yet you dont run thresher mainboard
c) with all the -1/-1 counters going around (spells + wither + nameless) stuffy doll is invaluable to this meta, i.e. he sucks in any deck right now
d) dont post a deck you want help/advice with and turn down EVERYONE'S ideas when they clearly have given advice that is much better than your 'pile' you have so far
e) if you want to play Hellkite just because you got them in a trade IRL, then go click on the left side of your screen at "Magic Decks" and fine the current optimal RG mana ramp deck builds and fit them into a similiar build like that, then you dont need advice anymore, b/c those decks have already proven their worth

edit:

f) why are you not running coldsteel heart over coalition relic and where the hell are the scrying sheets???
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3