Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REGIONALS: what to [play

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

What deck should i play at regionals
Swath Storm
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Merfolk
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 18

gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play merfolk but make the list better
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maindeck Sowers and the Vensers seem out of place. Look at the decklists in the Deck section here at m-l and see what they do. Then tweak them/it slightly to fit your own meta.

If your meta is choke full of GW beatdown etc, Sower main can be good, but it is a bad card vs red decks, gb elves, faeries and suboptimal vs merfolk.

The Merfolk strategy of spewing out critters turn 1-3 then counter and trick ftw is not well supported in your deck, with all those 4-drops. You need Rune Snag imo.

Your sideboard seems suboptimal. You lack Temporal Isolation for instance. The extra Cryptic Command is just a waste of space. Serrated Arrows another 4-drop that doesn't do enough. Reveillark should be main or not there at all. Unsure about Sunlance in this deck. Oblivion Ring is missing from main/side. Wispmare also. Forge-Tender isn't enough vs rdw. You have no Bitterblossom answer. There is much to do with your Merfolk list. Idk if the swath storm list is optimal, but it looks like a swath storm deck should, I think.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sower is rly good, sunlance is rly good side, forge tender is enough to beat rdw. try a list like this http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=16785 the numbers in the list you posted are bad, your decks consistency goes down when you have a bunch of 2s and 3s. you dont need oblivion ring or wispmare and reveilark is a good sb card. arrows isnt that good. Vedrfolner has some good points but mostly he doesnt know what hes saying
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
sower is rly good, sunlance is rly good side, forge tender is enough to beat rdw. try a list like this http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=16785 the numbers in the list you posted are bad, your decks consistency goes down when you have a bunch of 2s and 3s. you dont need oblivion ring or wispmare and reveilark is a good sb card. arrows isnt that good. Vedrfolner has some good points but mostly he doesnt know what hes saying

With 4-drops I meant casting cost, not numbers. Other than that, the list you posted looks optimal or close to optimal. I forgot Mirrorweave, which is a really good card in this deck. Note that the Russian deck doesn't have Reveillark, Sower and Venser. The 3 slots he dedicated to Psionic Blast could be Sower, Wispmare or a lot of other cards ,depending on your meta (I presume it is an answer to Colossus)

4 Unsummon seems a bit much - what would he side out? all his Ponders? There are room for more options, especially in his sideboard.

Last edited by Vedrfolner on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
jakeywakey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

play merfokl but play 4 copies of banneret and 4 sages dousing... and 4 ponder.
ckfnpku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why anyone would play banneret and aquitect's will over sygg and tideshaper is beyond me, especially when not running sower.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you dont run banneret your retarded its like one of the best cards, tydeshaper mystic isnt that good. sygg is rly good more people should play him
PresRufus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain the SB choices for the swatch storm deck, and is taking out ponder really a good call? how is the deck testing with your build over the one that t3ed two trials?
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are u going to use to cast ponder?
kfcman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
what are u going to use to cast ponder?

i'd say any of his 19 U producing lands, but that's just me.

EDIT: typos
ckfnpku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsy wrote:
if you dont run banneret your retarded its like one of the best cards

No, it isn't. It's plain bad. It's good with dousing and sower and otherwise total junk.
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deckchoice always depend on A) the deck you feel more constable playing and B) the meta (and maybe some other minor aspects)

both decks you have/can play are good but i do believe that merfolks are more "consistent" that storm...but you have to thin your decklist because has a few weird things

i dont like venser on a merfolk deck thougth i dont know if can be that good, i suggest, not knowing how is venser on a merfolk deck, cutting the 2 vensers and 1 sower and add 1 banneret/aquitect's will (depend on you wanting to use 3 or 4 banneret's but with all thoses islands and fast deck this guy is amazing) and 1 ponder and 1 more cryptic command...there for on sb - 1 cryptic command - 2 serrated arrows - 3 sunlance + 4 oblivion ring + 1 wispmare (blossom, teferi's moat) and + 1 sage's dousing

i will like to point out that jan ruess on the PT used ancestral visions over ponder because he expected to go many times on late game and not win really fast (mainly because of the field) so if that is your case you could test visions (2-3)
HHH1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckfnpku wrote:
gypsy wrote:
if you dont run banneret your retarded its like one of the best cards

No, it isn't. It's plain bad. It's good with dousing and sower and otherwise total junk.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2