Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grow

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Grow Reply with quote

I have played this list for the last few days. I mostly put it together to slap around some friends. The deck is really fun to play. I doubt it will be anythings more then a good tier 2 deck but hey you could win FNM with easy.

// Lands
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [10E] Shivan Reef
4 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
4 [TSP] Forest (2)
3 [TSP] Island (1)
3 [TSP] Mountain (1)
2 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket

// Creatures
4 [10E] Quirion Dryad
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [MOR] Taurean Mauler
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter

// Spells
4 [TSP] Ancestral Vision
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [LRW] Tarfire
4 [TSP] Think Twice
4 [SHM] Firespout

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [SHM] Guttural Response
SB: 3 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [PLC] Fatal Frenzy
SB: 2 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer

The way to play the deck is pretty easy GROW your GUYS! Ideal opening hand is Ancestral Vision turn one (duh), thurn two QD, thurn three Taurean Mauler, turn four Think Twice, turn five Ancestral Vision hits. The deck does have it soft spots. Cryptic Command is really good vs this deck. Counter and Bounce kills your tempo. Wrath of God/Damation are not that effective vs you as you never have a need for more then 2 guys on the board. Mogg Fanactic needs to be played around. The sideboard is pretty soild other then the Fatal Frenzy. I think that you could tune that slot to your local meta. If you can think of a sideboard card that helps the game plan let me know please. Have fun!
kby

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sower beats this...

also run Teferi's moat sb, it is needed.

Guttural Response sucks, get rid of it and toss in Shusher, worst case it steals a target of removal

otherwize seems basic and decent, though how it will do in format.... idk
kfcman

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kby wrote:
sower beats this...

also run Teferi's moat sb, it is needed.

Guttural Response sucks, get rid of it and toss in Shusher, worst case it steals a target of removal

otherwize seems basic and decent, though how it will do in format.... idk

sower, really? with 8 instant 2 mana or less cards that kill it, and 4 sorcery speed cards that also kill it. lawlz at you sir.

why would he play moat? doesnt fit the deck at all. also only way to get white would be from....oh thats right. he doesnt play white in the deck...

Response doesnt suck. its actually pretty ok when you think of the format. snags, cryptics etc. obv a sb card, but it does exactly what you want a SB card to do. shusher is better and worse at the same time. shusher stops counters, but response stops cryptic no matter what modes they choose.

But R3wind, i'd say maybe gettin some counterspells in there. maybe drop think twice. yea think powers up QD twice, but if you can counter their spell instead then i think the tempo swing is better than the extra +1.

Also, not sure you need full 4 of all of your burn spells, and in genereal, lash out is better than incinerate.

But cryptic command seems like it would be good in this deck.
PsyK

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my totally untested suggestions:

Drop the mauler, 2 land, the think twice and like 1 firespout. Replace with 4x ponder, 4x rune snag, and like 3x prefered counter other than rune snag. Personally i think this deck might actually like cursecatcher, decent turn 1 play that could help you keep your dryad round those first few critical turns, late game not so valuable but it does still interrupt your opponents progression a little.

Btw ponder makes love to dryad and helps reduce necessary land count
R3wind

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some of the advice that you peeps gave me. Cryptic Command is nuts as most players don't think that I will cast it. The mana base changed a bit also. I dropped the Guttural Response for Rune Snag in the sideboard. Turn two QD into turn three Taurean Mauler pretty nuts as well. I still have some issues with true control decks. I guess that it's the */4 beaters that give me the most trouble. Fatal Frenzy became Kitchen Finks for the Red Deck Wins matchs. Thanks again for the comments. More testing is coming I will post matchups as I have better info gathered.

// Lands
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [10E] Shivan Reef
4 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
4 [TSP] Forest (2)
3 [TSP] Island (1)
3 [TSP] Mountain (1)
2 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket

// Creatures
4 [10E] Quirion Dryad
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [MOR] Taurean Mauler
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter

// Spells
4 [TSP] Ancestral Vision
4 [LRW] Tarfire
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [SHM] Firespout
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [CS] Rune Snag
SB: 3 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the most up to date list that I am playing. It's now more of a tempo deck. The deck takes a few turn to get going (turn four is the big turn) I lowered the land count as per a post. Ponder and Mystic Speculation are great in the deck. The Blue is only for card selection and Mulldrifter. On the sideboard Blue gives you Snapback. That card is very key in some matches like GU/GB/GW/GR Mana Ramp. Tauren Mauler is a beast (no really it's a beast) vs creature based aggro decks like Merfolk and Kithkin. I am testing the Crusher to see how well it work in the deck and so far it's pretty good. Crusher let's you filter past extra lands in the aggro match. It also nuts with Ponder and Mystic Speculation. Both are nuts with QD. All of them tie into 'Goyf! The deck is very synergistic. So here is the newest list. Comments are welcome.

// Lands
4 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
4 [TSP] Forest (2)
4 [TSP] Mountain (1)
4 [10E] Shivan Reef
2 [10E] Yavimaya Coast
2 [TSP] Island (1)
2 [LRW] Vivid Creek

// Creatures
4 [10E] Quirion Dryad
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [MOR] Taurean Mauler
4 [MOR] Countryside Crusher
4 [LRW] Mulldrifter

// Spells
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [LRW] Tarfire
4 [10E] Incinerate
4 [SHM] Firespout
2 [FUT] Mystic Speculation

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [TSP] Snapback
SB: 3 [10E] Dragon's Claw
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1