Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regionals: help and advise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
just2fierce

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Regionals: help and advise Reply with quote

If you were/are going, what would you play? Not trying to prod but I'm prolly not gonna be able to make it due to work....but I'd still like to know your meta call......

I figure it's obvious that one should plan for lots of:

Faeries
r/g aggro variants
g/b elves
r/g and g/w manaramp
Rev-blink
Swans variants

in lesser numbers:
merfolk
doran
hybrid stompy

Two of my buddies are planning on going and are torn on what to play but have 1 decklist they like so far, they hardly ever get online so I told them I'd do some research for them.....

So, here's the deck....

4 Nightshade Stinger
4 Prickly Boggart
4 Inkfathom Infiltrator
4 Oona's Blackguard
4 Earwig Squad
2 Sygg, River Cutthroat

4 Thoughtseize
4 Bad Moon
3 Bitterblossom
3 Cloak and Dagger
2 Sudden Spoiling

4 Mutavault
16 Swamp
2 Pendelhaven

SB: 15
3 Noggin Whack
3 Pithing Needle
3 Extirpate
3 Deathmark
3 Tendrils of Corruption

Any positive help would be great! Good against most combo/control but r/g aggro is worst matchup in testing.
Orlandu

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Hm Reply with quote

Well,rogue is one deck I would most definetly not play. It folds to the same sb hate that faeries does, and doesn't have nearly the longterm power that the deck does.

Honestly, I'd just play Faeries..
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to play Rogues, you must realize that the only thing they do is racing the opponent. They can't defend. They can discard cards, but only to gain tempo.

So you need 4 Stinkdrinker Bandits and 4 Morsel Theft. Period. The rest of the creatures need to have evasion. That's why Earwig Squad does nothing. It will be chumpblocked or killed in blocking... guaranteed. It is good vs control decks, but no-one runs control. The only non-racing card you can put in there is Shriekmaw. That's because it does have Fear and can kill Tarmogoyf.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
18 [SHM] Swamp (1)
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 [MOR] Mutavault

// Creatures
4 [MOR] Prickly Boggart
3 [LRW] Nightshade Stinger
4 [MOR] Oona's Blackguard
4 [SHM] Inkfathom Infiltrator
3 [SHM] Sygg, River Cutthroat
4 [LRW] Oona's Prowler
4 [MOR] Stinkdrinker Bandit

// Spells
4 [MOR] Bitterblossom
3 [LRW] Profane Command
4 [MOR] Morsel Theft

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [MOR] Earwig Squad
SB: 4 [MOR] Noggin Whack
SB: 4 [10E] Dragon's Claw
SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
maltabus

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They can discard cards, but only to gain tempo.

Hand disruption almost *never* nets tempo. Usually it is a tempo loss, since you spend X mana to 1 for 1 your opponent, who has put 0 mana into the card you're trading for.

The only exception to this, obviously, is when a deck plays a few powerful spells which a card like Thoughtseize can hit, effectively blanking your opponent's turn because he only has one play. Think most control decks.
dv8r

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically agree with everything verdolfenor says except that I would like to point out that morsel theft is bad, as it actually loses you tempo, it's a bad finisher (deals only 3 damage to them for 2 mana, life gain is irrelevant when you are aggressive deck), it's a bad card to play early when you would rather have a random 2/2 for 2, and late game if you are still doing damage odds are you are going to win anyway
GregorClegan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: 1 cost-hand disrupt nets tempo Reply with quote

Cheap hand disruption almost invariably nets tempo. This is because you can steal your opponents tempo efficient cards. Wrath of God is often a great tempo card because it generally trades for more than 5 mana of your opponents stuff. It also greatly reduces their ability to do damage to you. If you can steal a wrath of god for 1 mana you generally generate enough tempo to win.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, discard is _only_ tempogain. They slow down the opponent. They don't stop him, and they don't speed up your deck. They are not win conditions. They do not deal with threats, but they may sometimes deal with answers - however never in the long run.

Discard is simply thinning out the threats and answers of your opponent's starting hand (or sometimes re-filled hand), making their deck do less efficiently what it is designed to do. In other words making it go slower... tempo gain.
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then Player C plays Tarmogoyf and all Player B's Grizzly Bears laugh at Player A's Grizzly Bears has they are eaten alive by Player C's Tarmogoyf.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djww19 wrote:
Until 2 bears eat eachother and Goyfy becomes a powerhouse 2/3.

lol

2 bears counts for Tarmogoyf as Creature: check. 1/2. If the decks have only bears and Tarmogoyfs, Bears will win.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it nostalgic to believe that a 2/2 for 2 mana in anything but green should be ok?

I think that if they made a

Name: Axemen

Type: Creature - Human Warrior

CC: 1R

P/T: 2/2

Text: n/a

... it wouldn't even be close to cutting it for anything remotely competitive.

Even this one;

Name: Tattered Squire

Type: Creature - Zombie Knight

CC: 1B

Text: n/a

... would anyone even consider using it?

Let's take it as far as it goes;

Name: Pwnogoyf

Type: Creature - Lhurgoyf

CC: 1G

Text: Shroud. Storm.

... is this card too good? Really? In this meta?

Discuss.
Mirage

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UB Rogues, right? Try out Looter Il-Kor, hasn't gotten any love since UG aggro days and maybe now that is has a relevant creature type it might be good again
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2