Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R/W Stuffy Swans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Dannar

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithing Needle hates on Stuffy Doll
thedarkness

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how. Pithing Needle doesn't seem to do anything to Stuffy Doll except stop 1 damage per turn...

Now Oblivion Ring on the other hand..that's a problem. So are Nameless Inversion and Profane Command. All of those see more play than Pithing Needle anyway.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play all four Sulfurous Blast. You may want to drop the Disenchant for some Mana fixin'
Ownj00

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't play disenchant main. not even in this format. wrong.
Miztef

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest Volcanic Hellion? If you have more life then your opponent, you win with it and stuffy doll. It's an win at any life with stuffy and pariah.

Also, Lightning axe becomes a fairly good utility spell in this deck, with all sorts of options attached. it could be a replacement for skred that allows for more land options.

Love the deck so far, needs some tweaking for better answers to the big decks, but I really like it.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peligrad wrote:
perhaps in most decks you wouldn't because you are worrying about wasting a draw...this is a late game combo deck. Unlike most decks that try to do something offensive early game, this deck sit back and tries to slow down the other's progress. IMO disenchant is essential because it may be the key to the other deck's impediment. It also needs to do something offensive later and most impediments to this sort of combo are either artifacts or enchantments. To say you don't main deck disenchant with defense in mind because it MAY not be useful is ignorant.

So you're saying that you say you maindeck a card because it MAY be useful isn't?

You don't maindeck cards because they might be good sometimes against opposing decks or, in this case, inidivudla cards. You maindeck them because they further YOUR deck's game plan. A card that only deals with one threat to your game plan (and for the record, Oblivion Ring is the only one of the four or five PLAYED anti-stuffy doll cards that it stops) is the DEFINITION of a sideboard card.

And yes, maindecking Disenchant because it might be useful, even with defense in mind, IS ignorant.

IT'S A STUFFY DOLL DECK. You're not building it with defense in mind AT ALL. It's a freaking pile of removal. If you're adding more defense, it should be Oblivion Rings of your own, because they do the same thing Disenchant does, but they also do other things.
floreskiller

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random idea but you can try to test Swans and Deep Slumber Titan with Pyrohemia and Sulfurous Blast in the same deck.
sorot

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUNE HAlO

Shuffy....

End
Miztef

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just some quick suggestions from me again:

condemn - There has got to be something out there that works better for this deck. This card seems to go directly against the plan the deck has. I'd suggest sunlance off hand, but even that seems suboptimal.

Shivan Meteor - this can be replaced by volcanic hellion. I can't see a many situations where the meteor is better, although I suppose the biggest problem is when you have less health the your opponent, then it doesn't work too well.

skred - Love the card, but lightning axe comes to mind as an alternative. With swans as an engine, dicarding 1 card doesn't seem that big a leap, and you can use it to get rid of early threats in addition to a semi win condition. The biggest help is that it completely frees your mana base to great stuff like mutavault, the R/W dual land, and possibly more.

Turn to mist - Certainly powerful, but is it better then just more straight burn style cards or other solutions? I don't have an alternative here, but I think there are better options for this slot.

Anyway, thanks for listening, I may be retrying this deck, so I look forward to seeing how/if it develops.
R3wind

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add that Condemn does not fit the deck very well. Incinerate fits the plan a lot better. Maybe you should also move the Turn to Mist to the sideboard if you keep it at all.

I think that you have the basic deck idea down for sure. Have you thought about running your spells more like this?

4x Coldsteel Heart
4x Skred
4x Incinerate
4x Pyroclasm
4x Sulfurous Blast
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Pariah

I feel that Turn to Mist is very good. I just don't think that it is as good as a faster clock. Coldsteel Heart speeds your clock by one turn. One turn is a huge differance in a very aggro heavy metagame as we are in now.

If you don't mind going the money for all of the pain lands you could get crazy things going into the deck/sideboard like Tamanoa. I would almost main deck it, if it would not make the mana so wonky.

If you stay RW I would make a basic sideboard of...

4x Aven Riftwatcher (RDW/FAE/Stompy)

3x Blink! (You can set Coldsteel to U for flashback and still play Swans faster!)

3x Disenchant (Mostly for O-Ring fights/Bitterblossom/Shield of the Oversoul/Everlasting Torment)

3x Wheel of Sun and Moon(Combo decks/Persist)

2x Pithing Needle (man-lands/Combo decks/Stuff)
bl0t

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to beat Reveillark?
bl0t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peligrad wrote:
its true if you turn to mist the body double the hated reveilark combo falls flat on its face.

1. (Entity in play) You Mist my Double, and I activate Mirror Entity again in response.

2. (Entity in grave) You Mist my Double, it (reveillark) triggers because it left play, I get back a Mirror Entity and something else.. EoT Double comes back, and I go off then.

Flat on its face?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2