Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Shadowmoor Fulminator priced high on Ebay??

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Manowar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Why Shadowmoor Fulminator priced high on Ebay?? Reply with quote

Why???It is a 3 mana for 2/2 and has to sacrifice to trade for a limited stone rain, no haste even worse than 4mana Rider.... Sad
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because people dont know the prices of their cards when they first come out
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means it can stay in play until you need it. You can also play it even though he don't control nonbasic lands, so he won't play his Mutavault, or eventually use a removal spell to kill him before he do.

BTW, why either/or? Play both Fulminator Mage and Avalanche Riders...
rDMKZVrX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: about the mana Reply with quote

He can be played in a bg deck or a rg deck or br deck, or others.
There will be lots of decks he's playble in.

although, I believe it will most likely make aggro return, which will most likely make decks like merfolk, faeries, and other aggro control decks less dominate in the format.
Kytep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameOn wrote:
Mage is good for the following reasons:

-3 CC for a 2/2 is not the height of efficiency but still playable.
-He trades then destroys a land (2-for-1).
-Lots of deck play non-basics so people will not want to trade with it as they will lose a land. This can sometimes lead to damage sneaking through
-On the play he can swing once and then delay wrath/damnation for a turn. THIS IS SICK
-LD decks will become awesome with him.
-Some decks play stone rain's/rain of tears already, this guy is a beat stick and can also function similarly.
-He kills Urborg, destroying this can often ruin decks.
-Killing a mana fixing land against some decks in amazing tempo.
-With an aggressive curve you can put some serious pressure on your opponents and this guy damages resources.
-Possibly with simian spirit guide he can come out turn 2.
-Did I say he is a 2-for1?

These are some good points. Some might say, "Magus of the Moon does a lot of this stuff too (e.g., neutralize Urborg, mess up opp's colors, etc.) - and he does it for ALL of their lands, not just one, AND gets to stay on the table - but it doesn't see much play in Type 2". However, that misses two very key points:

1) Magus of the Moon can be killed, and all of those benefits are then lost (Urborg comes back, etc.).

2) MotM doesn't restrict the number of available mana to your opponent - if they can get their colors without non-basics, they can still cast their spells unfettered.

On these points, Fulimator is clearly superior. You can GUARANTEE (short of split-second spells, of course) that if Fulminator resolves while an Urborg is on the table, that Urborg will die. You can permanently reduce your opponent's non-basic land count by 1. Magus is fragile and can't do these things.

Still, I'm not so sure Land Destruction will be a viable strategy in Type 2 anytime soon. LD tends to work better in control-heavy environments, and poorly in aggro-heavy environments, such as we see today. Stone Rains don't stop Elves, Faeries, Goblins, Rogues, Merfolk, etc. from beating your face. And Grey Ogres won't do the job either.

My bottom-line expectation: Fulminator will probably not see maindeck play in any Tier 1 or even Tier 2 Type 2 decks. Even sideboard is probably dubious.

Kytep
center
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a black STE
TugaChampion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51$ a playset of pentacrap???!!! OMG I better sell mine if I get some of those in the pre releases!
gypsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ruined halo the goyf of the set
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1