Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R/B aggro (CAUTION: Spoilers!)

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
thranarama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: R/B aggro (CAUTION: Spoilers!) Reply with quote

So, this is a deck I was looking to test once Shadowmoor is available on MWS. If you don't know what a card is, you can probably look it up on Mtgsalvation.com. If you don't want to know any names of new cards, don't look at this deck list. Anyway, now that that is out of the way.

Creatures:
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Tattermunge Maniac
3 Shriekmaw (may become lash out for the sake of having more burn)
4 Countryside Crusher
4 Ashenmoor Gouger
4 Keldon Marauders (debatable spot, dunno what else to put here)

Spells:
3 Profane Command
4 Rift Bolt
4 Incinerate
3 Sulfurous Blast

Land:
4 Graven Cairns
2 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
5 Mountain
4 Sulfurous Springs
4 Mutavault
2 Ghitu Encampment

Sideboard:
1 Sulfurous Blast
3 Thoughtseize
4 Extirpate
4 Dragon's Claw
3 Fulminator Mage (also debatable slot: could be Vexing Shusher or Boom//Bust or something to that nature.)

Anyway, give me thoughts or suggestions on how to improve the deck. Or if you need specific cards explained, I can do that, too. Thanks!
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a question of personal taste, but why don't you try Fulminator Mage? It can sacrifice itself for free and is a good bet for Profane Command. Wink
thranarama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is in the sideboard, I'd have a hard time fitting him into the Maindeck, considering I already have 8 3-drops, both of which survive Sulf blast if I choose. I think fulminator is better in the sideboard where it can come in and give me that little extra oomph vs. a control deck.
floreskiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out Sulfurous Blast. You have too many creatures for it to be effective and not screw you over.
thranarama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually purposefully use Countryside Crusher, Keldon Marauders, and Ashenmoor Gouger to avoid getting beaten by my own sulfurous blast. The only creature I really lose out on is Tattermunge Maniac, but he usually can die pretty early anyway, and i can wait to play sulf blast until after it's more advantagous than disadvantagous. I do see what you mean, there is the possibility of it being not as good for me, I could try to make it so none of my creatures die to it or that I am still left with an advantage, which I think I am currently.
Husapi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just 9 generators for play mogg fanatic or tattermunge maniac at first turn? add more and...

- 4 keldon
- 4 ashenmoor gouger
- 3! blast
- 1 profane command
- 1 crusher
+ 3 avalanche raiders
+ 2 makeshift mannequin
+ 4 rain of tears
+ 4 fulminator mage
thranarama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, the problem w/ that deck is that it straight up loses to Bitterblossom and faeries. It also loses to G/B Elves or Doran decks that use elves. Sulf Blast is probably one of the most important cards, not to mention one of the best cards in standard right now. If i was trying to make an LD deck, I would have included those cards to start with. However, I will add more basic mountains to get red mana turn 1.
Lynolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to them. Sulfurous Blast is excelent in the new meta. As mentioned, it doesn't beat Colossus or Doran, but beats everything else. Against Doran you can try Fulminator Mage (see, I knew I would find a use for him Very Happy ) from SDB to screw your opponent's mana and use it as a barrier. I'm sure you'll find something new on Shadowmoor to beat Colossus. Good luck with that deck. Cool
McRishel42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally people play Colossus on the first turn that they can, so if you're really that worried about him then you can add the new Flame Javelin possibly. Pretty much Colossus shouldn't be a problem if you deal with him early. I like the deck, and I think Shriekmaw is better than Lash Out because even though Lash Out is burn like you said, Shriekmaw is also removal and more reliable in my opinion. Another new card I think might be good would be Brutal Visions. You(and opp of course) get to draw and extra card, all while burning away at the same time. Anyway, all around pretty good.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say, that I do like the sulfurous blasts in your lists, building around being generally immune to it while having such a good answer to the meta is really smart. More innovative deckbuilding than what I've seen lately.

You might fish around for some edict type abilities like Cruel Edict to try and deal with Colossus and such. Actually, perhaps what would make more sense is for you to play Greater Gargadon in your deck. You can sack Maniac when he's about to go suicide, and you can sac Marauders before he vanishes, and you can sac Shriekmaw if you evoke him, before the evoke trigger resolves. What inspired me to suggest Gargadon in the first place was maybe the idea of Threaten as a decent answer to opposing fatties. Of course, there are all kinds of other things you can add to the Gargadon package...Idk what to tell you to cut anyway, though. Good luck with your deck.
Cosmo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are having troubles to hit double-color mana, you may try 1 or 2 Reflectin Pools
thranarama

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that dragon's claw might come out for cruel edicts if i need them. There is a card that was spoiled today that might be good:

Lurebound Scarecrow 3
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow

When *this* comes into play, choose a color.
If you don't control a permanent of the chosen color, sacrifice *this*.

4/4

What do you guys think?
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a good 3-drop creature in aggro.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1