Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T2 metagame

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Hank333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: T2 metagame Reply with quote

Lets see if i have this T2 metagame down.

Faries is the best deck. tier 1

RGBig Mana, Lark, and GB Goodstuff(From elves, to doran, to other) decks are the tier 1.5, RDW varients may fit here as well.

Tier 2 is Kithkins, Merfolk, Dragonstorm, Burn, White Maryter decks.

seems pretty boring. I was messing around with Mono Black Snow thing, i think it was ok, but it sure cannot compete with this tight metagame. Thoughts and Opinions? am i missing anything?
rdeg87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the decks you listed as Tier 1.5 are probably just Tier 1's. While Faerie's may well be the best deck, it is just not dominant enough to be considered the only Tier 1 deck
Jon_Ma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doran is significantly more powerful than elves...
kfcman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo_jojo wrote:
doran is significantly more powerful than elves...

i agree.
its much more versatile, able to play different roles in the varying matchups, makin it much more resilient

also i still consider U/b/w Mannequin/Lark decks a player in the meta, they are just under represented.
lizardgod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man so little blue...lark has a bit and faeries a bit...but no blue main decks...yeah i understand that alot of decks would just suck without the blue but it seems only to be playing support. too bad Sad
Jon_Ma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faeries only runs 4-8 black spells
jared

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think highlander is the best and most fun deck to play. It makes you play better than your opponent, which isn't hard when they find some list and play it card for card no matter what.
jazzbat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Random irrelevant comment]
Delicious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jared wrote:
I think highlander is the best and most fun deck to play. It makes you play better than your opponent, which isn't hard when they find some list and play it card for card no matter what.

Wrong
Conway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: the metagame Reply with quote

The meta game is very diverse but there are three clear tier 1 decks.

tier1

Faeries
UW lark
AggroRed w/ 16 or more burn spells and 4 mutavaults.

This top tier is paper rock scissors. Lark beats red, red beat the fae, and the fae beats lark. The case for red being tier 1 is that it beat the crap out of 35% of the metagame right now (faeries) and also rapes on another huge chunk in the process; elves, WW, rogues, mana ramp w/out primal commands and to a lesser extent, merfolk.

tier 2

GR manaramp
Merfolk
Doran Rock Decks
Manakin skywalker decks. (mulldrifter decks with recursion like manakin. most are GUB now.)
Dragonstorm

Of these decks, GR manaramp can actually go 50% vs the top tier if built correctly. i.e WITH PRIMAL COMMANDS. if it packs em it is 60% vs red 40% vs lark and about 50% vs faeries. Then again, it doesnt outclass the lesser decks in the metagame like the top tier does

Merfolk is a great metagame pick. It Islandwalks all over the top tier, and if ur board is good, it beats red too. Its shortcoming is that in most matchups, faeries is just better.

Doran is sick. It can beat anything with the right draw. Its just hard for the rock to be properly built when the metagame is this diverse.

Dragonstorm is a strong tier 2 deck. Its not goood enough that a lot of people will play it, so it wont get hated on. But at the same time it will not dominate the meta.

The mulldrifter decks are really good. They beat like everything, BUT, they lose to red, get asspounded by faeries, and get slightly outclasses by Lark. Other than that they don't lose often.

tier 3

WW
rogues
Elf Axe warriors BS
everything else.

WW lacks reach. Rogues is the worst version of faeries out there. It loses with or without bitterblossum.

Of special note here is te elf warrior battle axe builds that EVERYONE loves to play right now. Yeah you can beat faeries. ok. cool. But the deck is also NO BETTER THAN 45-50% against anything else in the metagame. WTF?! there has to be a lot of faeries around for me to shuffle up this pile. And then, ill just play red thx. Seriously this deck is bad. Its like someone started with that awesome states elf deck with infinite reach from masked admirers, 12 pump lords, and Garruk, and pulled out all the good cards. Then they replaced them with battle axes and more warriors, chasing some fires of yavimaya pipe dream. This deck is always on the back foot, seriously. They always end up like all in on a chameleon colossus that is irrelevant because they are so far behind. The old elves would explode in ur face then overrun ur shit. This one puts everything on one dork and waits patiently to get roflstomped by a removal/bounce spell. in summary, please kepp playing this deck everyone.

If you dont like my metagame breakdown, then write something as comparably long. thx.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key card for RG manaramp now is Sulfurous Blast, not Primal Command. A good build should run both main. I think that RG ramp/big mana is arguably tier 1.

Dragonstorm isn't tier 2. Some WW decks are simply better than it vs more of the meta.

I have tested GB Warriors. You are right, it loses consistently vs WW, and even my budget Elemental Shaman deck beats it easily. The "I begin to attack in turn 3 at the earliest" is a catastrophe vs Wrath decks and Thoughtseize isn't enough. I have given up on it.
Nezeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how underrated white decks are. Keep playing Faeries and Mana Ramp and Burn decks, please. I'll keep winning the tourneys. =) Just make sure Guile decks stay out of favor and I'll do just fine. It's my only bad matchup that I have nothing on board against (8 cards against Reveillark decks that go from 70-30 in their favor to more like 80-20 in mine)
jared

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otta love it when people take you seriously, lol
Batibot23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still playing Ug Control.
gypsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gb warriors is bad but just regular gb elves is pretty good, i haven't lost with it much in testing vs the whole field
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2