Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Magic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
illus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testament wrote:
go to a real t1 tournament. or build a real t1 deck and tell your friends to do the same.

this
ransom3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is very annoying how a new set comes out every 2-3 months and it can be quite expensive to try to "keep up" as you say. I'm not sure I like the direction Wizards has taken in recent blocks, and I've started to take a disliking to Standard because you do have to spend a lot of money to stay up to date. So that's why I'm trying to play Legacy and Extended tournaments. It's a lot easier to stay on top of, I suggest trying that if you are sick of T2.
Lunari_
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Magic Reply with quote

Ahrimanius wrote:
type 2 decks are winning type 1 tournaments...consistantly

Umm, if that's true, umm, YOU SUCK.
YWNightmare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/join #care
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of type 1 tournaments have you been to...sure type 2 decks might win type 1 "i just want to play with my old cards" tourneys, but in serious type 1 tournaments decks can win easily in the first few turns...

people complaining about new cards being too powerful is nothing new. if anything, with a few glaring exceptions (tarmogoyf, bridge from below/narcomoeba) wizards has gotten BETTER at balance of power. look at block constructed seasons.

odyssey: you played madness, or you played mbc
onslaught: you played goblins, or slide
mirrodin: you played affinity, or you played affinity
kamigawa: you played gifts, or white weenie
ravnica: no season, but the decks from charleston were amazingly versatile
time spiral: i honestly didn't like the flavor of the block, but the block season was VERY varied and an interesting format, much unlike the ones prior. hopefully shadowmoor will accomplish the same for lbc season

i mean come on...what, wren's run vanquisher is too powerful? do you not remember affinity????
GoneBananas
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your purple font confuses
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Magic Reply with quote

Ahrimanius wrote:
"Where is the balance?" "Why are they trying to snuff out all of the older sets?" etc. etc. I'm not saying every card in the new sets, but most of them are very unbalanced compared to the standard used in the past for M:tG. Creatures have sick abilities and cast practically nothing to play. There's no originality as Wizards pretty much builds all your decks for you...it's already laid out.

show me these creatures with sick abilities that cost nothing to play, and if you say tarmogoyf your whole argument pretty much becomes invalid
Quote:
In a type 2 tournament it's not that bad...but type 2 decks are winning type 1 tournaments...consistantly...why? There's no more balance and it seems to be that they are snuffing out the old magic cards. On top of that you HAVE to buy new cards in order to keep up making me think it will be an endless cycle of bigger and badder cards...with less mana costs. I honesty wish they would have made a M:tG 2 or something of the sort instead of ruining the game most of us have put a ton of money and time. Before it was worth playing...now it's not.

then play extended, legacy, or REAL vintage
Quote:
There's no more fun as I go to tournaments and it's all about winning. I know you're aiming to win, but the type 1 crew does it with a smile and laughter, whereas the type 2 crew is all business. My friends and I have stopped playing the new stuff altogether and there aren't even enough people to play type 2 anymore so type 2 decks win type 1 tournaments. If anyone else out there feels the same let me know. If you don't agree the I realyl don't care to see your opinion on here, it'll probably be immature and no one will pay you any attention anyways.

how about you show us the decks that are winning these T1 tournaments, or even better how about I play against you with my manaless ichorid or gushatog on mws, or stax, nothing like pounding a player in with stax Smile
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think magic is popular because its constantly changing with new sets coming out, how boring would it be to play the same ptq format for 6 months with nothing changing. if t2 decks are winning your t1 tournaments then dont play super metagamed hate decks that cant beat anything but the 1 deck your hating out. wizards isnt trying to snuff out the old sets as you say, how can magic change or have any new cards if they just make new versions of old cards, weres the originality in that. if wizards makes everything more powerful then whats the difference if other cards are weaker, if there is a healthy variety of decks in any format then the format isnt too powerful or certain cards arent too powerful. just because no one plays serra angel anymore doesnt mean theyre ruining magic. wizards makes the creatures cheaper and spells less powerful for a reason. if your not having fun playing then dont play, people like you arent good for the game if you just bitch and complain about how your not having fun anymore, we dont care if you dont have fun just dont complain to us about it, its not us not having fun. magic is a game of change, adapt or die. you dont like changes stop playing a game like this and go play poker
EddDydoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that magic is just after the big bucks now. myself was really into magic but the coming of this new block made me not like magic its still seems to creature base. that last two sets brought out a variety of decks but now idk wats happening the creatures are to ridiculous
Sprouts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with lots of things u say
I specially think people became so overly competitive and everything seems to be about winning while having a good time is forgotten. People seem to want something in exchange for all the effort they put into this game, and dont get me wrong, nothing more natural than that, but i feel that takes something very important from magic, and honestly, i dont think mtg gives u much in return anyway.
I also feel that maybe due to their attemps to make blocks more synergistic, the deck possibilities u have are smaller. Big part of the game for me is building my own decks and playing with them and that seems to be getting harder, altough it might be just a feeling, i dont know.
I believe they are getting better at balancing yes, but the power level in creatures have certainly increased a lot in the last years..
At last, this all happens because WOTC is running a business, thats all, and the changes will be what they consider to be good for business and not what we might think its good for the game. This may seem
sad, but as long as we keep buying, they wont care if were happy or not.
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all the opening post is retarded, no Type 2 deck could ever win a serious Type 1 tourney, never ever, not even when type 1 was new and there was only like 300 or so cards cards difference. Anyways that aside Wizards has said they are actively trying to make creatures matter more which is why they are getting more powerful, I mean even the combo and control decks now revolve around creatures to an extent. As much as I like old magic I think Rav block marks a turning point where Wizards has been trying to balance the game more and I think Kawigama is the last of the "garbage blocks" where there is one "best deck" and then everything else (Sway the stars for block and Affinity T2). As soon as Rav came the tide turned, there hasn't been a "best deck in T2" since, more like a handful of tier 1 decks. Green is becoming more powerful and traditional blue is becoming less, especially with Shadowmoor. That's just the way it is.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was sway the stars the best block deck, the best block deck was gifts. and yes wizards is making creatures more powerful but making the spells less powerful, just because a few people dont liek creatures doesnt mean theyre ruining the game theyre trying something different because for so long the creatures have been slow and clunky while the spells have been amazing. serra angel and swords to plowshares are examples of that respectively.

Last edited by gypsy on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeySam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find i highly entertaining that you complain about irrelevant posts and dont answer to the good ones. So first of all i started playing with 4th edition(long breaks inbetween) and i think its pretty interesting what your saying here. First of all i can understand that you say the creatures became better, because if your looking back they became better. There cards like Serra Angel dont get played at all and cards like black knight see less play, but the powerlevel of the cards isnt insane. I actually dont feel like the cards are increasing in power for quite some time. There are several cards that are extremly powerful(tarmogoyf, but they say it wasnt on purpose), but the rest seems quite ok in powerlevel to me. And if Type 2 decks are realy winning T1 Tournaments, then your metagame is hellish weak.(Why because any T2 deck can be improved EASILY with older cards and the powerlevel of certain old cards is above good and evil, mutch more powerful then any card sees print these days,). The only thing that realy got improved are the creatures and the control spells got worse, thats a change thei did of making creature based strategies more viable. If you dont like creature based strategies then its not a good thing for you, although there are enough tools in older formats to stop them easy. Wizard are actually well aware of the power creep and they have it very good under control. And btw, if you look at shadowmoor cards you will see that the time of LOR is over(the dont try to force to build our decks). Even if their are some restrictive cards SHM will open a lot of posibillities in building decks. I also find LOR for constructed kind of annoying because a lot of the cards where so restrictrictive to their own class/race, but thats the flaw of a tribal block. Some things you should consider:

You dont like competition - > play with friends for fun

You want competition - > go to tournaments

You hate new cards - > play eternal(most of the new cards dont affect etnernal at all[Why here something for you Rune Snag < Counterspell < Mana Drain.... ]

You start to dislike magic - > quit the game.

Dont start a thread like this and saying absurd things and then you start flaming because they dont take you seriously.

edit: And that your complaining about the balance from the cards seeing print these days and see in the older days, just makes me laugh. The most broken cards see print BEFORE Wizard actually knowing what is good and bad.

KeySam
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say this:

Good riddance, random old card!!!!

*opening a box of non-type 2 cards*

MURK DWELLERS

... And I hope I will _never_ see you again!
Shooter
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldaryn wrote:
what kind of type 1 tournaments have you been to...sure type 2 decks might win type 1 "i just want to play with my old cards" tourneys, but in serious type 1 tournaments decks can win easily in the first few turns...

people complaining about new cards being too powerful is nothing new. if anything, with a few glaring exceptions (tarmogoyf, bridge from below/narcomoeba) wizards has gotten BETTER at balance of power. look at block constructed seasons.

odyssey: you played madness, or you played mbc
onslaught: you played goblins, or slide
mirrodin: you played affinity, or you played affinity
kamigawa: you played gifts, or white weenie
ravnica: no season, but the decks from charleston were amazingly versatile
time spiral: i honestly didn't like the flavor of the block, but the block season was VERY varied and an interesting format, much unlike the ones prior. hopefully shadowmoor will accomplish the same for lbc season

i mean come on...what, wren's run vanquisher is too powerful? do you not remember affinity????

actually,kamigawa had MUC,UG,black hand,gifts,WW. pretty diverse to a block season.

to author: have u ever played "the perfect storm"?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4