Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I wanna learn Dutch

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
KrovikanMist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: I wanna learn Dutch Reply with quote

to dutch speakers out there:

is it easy to learn?
whats the best way of learning it?
is there any sounds that are difficult to pronounce for an english speaker, or anything thats totally different to english?

its just a random idea I thought of, I dunno if I am actually gonna try hard and actually put some effort into studying it, but hey first of all at least find out what it might be like?

cheers

btw I noticed there are lots of dutch people here in ML so I thought of it and it would be good to be able to communicate with y'all in dutch...

edit: I see all dutch people speak english perfectly so why not the other way round
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a hint, you are on the internet, Google.com

I'm 100% sure there is free services online to learn to speak any language from English as a base. To answer your question though, no, Dutch is not similar to English. From what I understand it, easiest to learn from English as an only language in order: Esperanto (why?), Spanish, Italian, French, Northern European/Russian, Eastern languages with 100% different characters.
boeda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

You should try, I dont know if its hard because its my first language but I know:

- others have done it before you;
- and second its very close to English, French and German (much closer then Spanish or Finnish for example).

I think the best way to learn is by speaking with Dutchmen, if there are none around (wich is likely with only about 20 mln. dutch speakers) you might try a holiday in Amsterdam.

Wich btw isnt a drugloaded, sexaddicted partytown but a big city in the Netherlands where dutchmen live and work and tourists like to use drugs and have sex..

If both options are out of reach there is a third, a little list with some dutch words!

Hi---------------------------------------------------------Hoi (as in joy but with an H)
Bye------------------------------------------------------Dag (with a guttural G and an A as in mark)
Love-----------------------------------------------------Liefde (ie pronounced as ee and de as the)
I love you-----------------------------------------------Ik hou van jou (ou as in wow, vAn as in mark)
Sorry-----------------------------------------------------Sorry
Is that your boyfriend? -----------------------------Is dat je vriendje?
Lightning bolt on your Hypnotic Specter---------Bolt op je Hippie!
Goddamnit!--------------------------------------------Godverdomme!
America is great!--------------------------------------Amerika is groot!

Okay, thats it for now, I hope now you can learn your first Dutch words.. Use them on your friends or that nice Dutch girl at work, be sure you use the right one though!

Dag! boeda
Ro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to study journalism in holland and I can tell u..

it's one of the most hard languages to learn, especially if you're from the US. Where are you from? If you're from germany or something it should be easy though.
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's hard to learn. Non-german foreign people have real issues pronouncing our words with G and SCH. It's also not worth it unless you live in the Netherlands, because most dutchies speak english quite well so you'd have no problem communicating.
It makes perfect sense for us that we are the ones that have to learn other languages. We are a very small country after all.
DaveK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G and SCH is easy to pronounce for Slavic-based languages speakers (Russia, Czech, Poland, Slovakia, Byelorus, Ukraine, maybe I've missed something). I'm Polish and I had been learning German for a few years and pronounciation was never an obstacle for me or any of my friends.

So yeah, there are non-Germans who shouldn't have issues with pronouncing most of Dutch words.
KrovikanMist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thanks for ur replies...sounds encouraging............
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1