Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCTGN 2.0 Updated Sept 2009 - Superior to Magic Workstation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software

Have you tried out the newest Sept 2009 release of OCTGN 2.0 yet?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 20

Laplie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to this thread is:

jods wrote:
We don't advertise OCTGN 2.0 much right now because we don't think it's ready for prime time. But we honestly believe that when it comes out of beta it may very well be the best CCG client available. Stay tuned Wink

I think the OP jumped the gun a little.
tyrcho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: MWS deck converter Reply with quote

I made a small program (in Scala) which takes all your decks from MWS and converts them to OCTGN.

The doc and download is here :

http://code.google.com/p/tyrcho/wiki/MWStoOCTGN2DeckFileImporter
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as we appreciate your drive to improve Magic-League, we will not post any links to the application. As we no longer support any application, we have since removed all links to downloads for all applications.
Sigil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded OCTGN and the Magic Standard, and it looks nice.. But I don't know how to start a game. I went to the chat IRC you suggested and all the players are dead (IE, doing nothing..) Are there any other channels OCTGN is used with?
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this program can be awesome, can be much better then Workstation... But with no players to play against, How the hell can we try it???

Quote:
"To connect to a chatroom full of players, simply go to...
http://www.mibbit.com/networks/ircstorm/octgn.html "

LOOOOOL it really was full of players... =\
I just installed all I need to play, and then, only 16 people on the chat, and no one wants to play...

You have so much work to make a program better then Workstation, and forgot to make a simple way to start games??

BTW, Is this the only way to start a game? on a IRC chat?
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... Maybe you're right...
But I'm on the chat asking for a opponnent for almost 2 hours now...
And I didn't found a single one till now... This was my first try playing with OCTGN, and I couldn't even see how it works... I couldn't even try it...

I'm sure that there is a lot of people that had the same problem, and they just went back to workstation for sure!... It can have bugs and more bugs, but at least you can play it! =\

How do you want to see more people interested on OCTGN, if you have to wait so much time for a single game?
And if I alredy had seen the program, and I really loved it, maybe I didn't mind to wait at all...
But keep waiting on a chat with just 16 people for hours, so you can try a game that you don't even seen if its good or not??

I'm afraid that you will not have so many adepts as you desire to have... =\
chakal-PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that you said just what I was thinking, and the "problems" I had trying it for the first time. (And I couldn't try it yet..)

About all of those problems, I think that you should give priority to the server, so both players that are trying it for the first time and for the ones that already enjoy playing with it can join a game fast and easier...
But I don't know how you do that, so, I don't really know if I'm talking about a step too big for the moment in your projects...

Quote:
The community is still little, so the newcomer goes to the chat, see few people and go away. How can one solve this dilemma other than publicizing the program on sites like ML?

I don't really mind to take a few more minutes to install all the card-pics and the program at once just for trying it out, if I could join a game easily after that... So, I think that the server will be a good thing to improve in the future! Wink
And you dont have to care about the number of people on the chats anymore, and all the ports and firewall problems, etc...

This is the opinion of a person who tried to use OCTGN for the first time... Maybe many other possible future-users are facing the same problems right now...
I hope that this helps you to improve your project! Smile
DaWorm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
Not trying to put octgn down, but the moment mws was released to the public, it gathered popularity very quickly (and I really mean very quickly) for 2 main reasons: backwash, and the opportunity to play via a server, so you wouldnot have to bother with firewall settings and port forwarding.

It depends on your undertanding of very quickly but it took months for mws to establish a large enough comunity despite the fact that mws was so much better than apprentice.

Back then there was first apprentice for several years, then mws was released and shortly after a beta of mtgo where you could play for free for some time. Also there were rumours about an Apprentice 2.0.

As you mentioned there was also a cheating programm called backwash. Here on magic-league were 2 channels one for apprentice the other for mws. Despite the cheat backwash ,apprentice was a long time after the release of mws used to play the master/trials. There were minis both for apprentice and mws.

The arguments against mws were:
-it's only 0.9x , bugs, wait for 1.0
-we used apprentice for so long we don't want to change
-there will be apprentice 2.0 that will be superior to mws, so why change

If OCTGN is better it will suceed in the end but to do so it will take probably years. It took mws months to replace apprentice and it was better in so many ways.

Be patient Wink .
Craze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If OCTGN is better it will suceed in the end but to do so it will take probably years. It took mws months to replace apprentice and it was better in so many ways.

Be patient Wink .

It won't ever happen here. I suggested OCTGN first 3 years back, this was before ClarkKant or whatever his nick is had ever shown up. At the time Lordhawk was still staff and he and Lamex took a good look at the program, and they ultimately decided against it. Since then it's been looked at a few more times everytime someone from the small OCTGN community comes to ML. And every time it's ultimately dismissed and declined for various reasons.
Now with the Wizards C&D, ML can't commit to any program, they can't advertise any program either. With this it's nearly impossible to switch over from MWS to any newer program because players would have to do it individually, the league couldn't force them. As mentioned no one likes change. And witrhout force, it will take a program that is as superior as MWS was to Appr to become any type of force in this league.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just wanna throw in my two cents into this thread (and this is all from personal opinion, none of this is from my position as a staff member):

- It's been a long while since I weighed into the last OCTGN debate. I know that the last time it was really looked at by the community that it was considered...not up to speed to use. I feel that this is now worth another look at by the entire community. And no, I'm not recommending players use anything - It's simply a nudge in a different direction if players feel agrieved by current play options.

- There is currently a scripting console being developed for OCTGN (that uses Python, no less). This is something that excites me a LOT. I have been keeping an eye on this for the past few months and I am really interested in seeing what the limits will be for allowing scripting.

Being quite familiar with Python myself, I'm hoping this opens up doors. I've got a number of ideas floating around in my head, and i fully intend to grill the developer(s) once a version with the scripting console is available and I've had the time to play around with it.

- The possibilities of cheating to the best of my knowledge currently are no more severe than any other application we've used here. An application being open-source does not necessarily make it easier to exploit - for the old fogies among you you would be well aware that there was one very public exploit of a closed-source application in addition to minor exploits of others. Again, I will be taking the time to grill the developer(s) on this as soon as I've had the time to explore OCTGN properly, including with the scripting console.

And...I think that's it at the moment.

Cheers,
Roo
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've had a bit of time to look at it (although I haven't had the time to dl the new Python-friendly version yet). Based on the documentation and what forum threads I've seen to this point, these are my current thoughts:

- Python scripting has to be embedded in a game definition. Any ideas that have been floating around in my head are more than likely going to require working with brine and anyone else maintaining the de facto official game definition (which is by no stretch of the imagination a bad thing Smile)

- It's still early days in terms of documentation, so there are still a lot of things that are unclear in terms of scripting (many of which I hope will resolve themselves when I actually get down to the nitty-gritty).

- Once all the OCTGN interaction is clearly documented, it should be quite easy to extend game definitions to add new elements in (such as Chaos Magic) i THINK. Again, it's early days and I haven't had the time to look at exactly what the limits are in terms of Python scripting in OCTGN.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brine: apologies for the uhh...lack of reply for the past few months. Life and all that Sad

If you were to add the chaos dice (and this is where I'm running off the top of my head because I can't exactly remember what OCTGN supports)...using the Tkinter python module would be best if OCTGN allows you to use the module. then you could store everything internally using lists and call them based on the result
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7