Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a new type 2...... suicide black

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
yesm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: a new type 2...... suicide black Reply with quote

22 Swamp
4 Thoughtseize
4 Temporal Extortion
3 Bad Moon
4 Oona's Prowler
4 Hidden Horror
4 Garza's Assassin
4 Dauthi Slayer
3 Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
4 Nether Traitor
4 Hypnotic Specter

sb ignore. i have no idea what to use in the sb. i only play online and ive only been playing with lorwyn t2 for 2 weeks and i usually only play magic (though i fucking love the game) when i come home drunk unsuccesfully from trying to get laid at my local bar (which is more often than not). so im no expert but back in teh day when i was 15 i was the number one ranked t2 16t and under player in the country for about 6 months. that was 8 years ago so that doesnt mean shit now but i know the game a bit. this deck seems pretty tight. lots of synergy. hidden horror to ditch hakkon is strooonnggg. well at least kinda coooll. since i dont own cards or invest money in the game i only try to make original decks. what do ya think.....be fuckin brutal if u think it fit
i know the sb is crap, i want advise

SB: 4 Shriekmaw
SB: 3 Pithing Needle
SB: 3 Loxodon Warhammer
SB: 4 Stupor
SB: 1 Bad Moon
billjoar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- 4 temporal extortion
- 4 garza's assasin
- 22 swamp

+ 4 Stromgald Crusader
+ 4 nameless inversion
+ 1 Bad moon
+ 18 snow-covered swamp
+ 3 mouth of ronom

Try that on for size
yesm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh the temp is not a commonly used card but one of the cards that gives this deck some speed
Craze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenihilator wrote:
- 4 temporal extortion
- 4 garza's assasin
- 22 swamp

+ 4 Stromgald Crusader
+ 4 nameless inversion
+ 1 Bad moon
+ 18 snow-covered swamp
+ 3 mouth of ronom

Try that on for size

mouth of ronom is not really all that desired

land base should be...
17 swamp
4 Spawing Pool
1 Urborg
billjoar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, you honestly did not say that spawning pit is better than mouth of ronom... In this deck's case, the mouth adds that last bit of removal if a game goes long and smooths out mana floods. Thoughtseize and (if he takes my advice) nameless inversion can only do so much against the current meta which is all agro-control and midrange decks.

- 1 snow-covered swamp

+ 1 Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth - I concede to that addition.
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run Shriekmaw in the main. Also Profane Command and Consume Spirit are really good in Mono Black. Nameless Inversion with Haakon is a great long game plan vs most decks. Nameless Inversion is also good to end the game when cast on Hidden Horror or Phyrexian Ironfoot.

Mouth does not seem correct for the deck when you can play Sudden Death. Also you need to play more cards that give you card advanage like Shriekmaw, Profane Command, Stupor, and even Nekrataal. Also I would work in a one drop like Nightshade Stinger.

You really need four Pithing Needle on the sb as you don't have any card drawing. If you go with Nightshade Stinger as a one drop then Thieving Sprite may be better then Stupor on the sb.

This is very close to a list that I would play.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [LRW] Howltooth Hollow
5 [LRW] Swamp (4)
5 [LRW] Swamp (3)
5 [LRW] Swamp (1)
5 [LRW] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [LRW] Nightshade Stinger
4 [LRW] Oona's Prowler
4 [CS] Stromgald Crusader
4 [10E] Hypnotic Specter
4 [LRW] Marsh Flitter
4 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [TSB] Bad Moon
4 [LRW] Eyeblight's Ending
2 [LRW] Profane Command

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [10E] Distress
SB: 4 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [TSP] Sudden Death
SB: 3 [LRW] Liliana Vess
SB: 2 [TSB] Serrated Arrows
BusDriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rewind: one desert is basically gg for u without moon
Black currently has no one drop that is worth it (nightshade stinger and mind sliver are closest, but still very very mediocre).
If u run hakon, go for the sliver over the nightshade stinger (it can't even chump block), if u don't, don't run either one.
4 thoughtseize and 3 or even 4 howltooth seems the best option. The rack if ur more discard heavy.

Daughty slayer is a good card. Strongald crusader is worth it with haakon, but not without (again desert is disasterous).
Korlash deserves a slot, and then also run a few profane commands. U don't really have alot of manasources, but command for 2 kills and revives a creature, 2 fears is also good or to the dome if it kills.
Shriekmaw is md
MilanG[GER]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your story
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black won't get bigger, meaner creatures in play than green will. Black won't get them in play faster than green either.

Black does have creature removal, though. And disruption in discard.

So while green, white and red are all potentially faster than black, the latter got a few more tricks up its sleeve. Do you see ultra-fast mono-colour aggro around at the time? The archetype is virtually non-existing. You won't be able to kill before the opponent have stopped your initial assault. Not against a good deck anyway. This means that instead of cutting the best cards in order to get a fast curve, you should rather just play the best cards and prepare for the mid-to long game.

Another thing to keep in mind is that since no monocolour deck is fast enough, the only other reason to stay in one colour is to gain benefits from cards which like only one type of mana or land.

Black have a lot of cards in that genre. The question is if they are good enough.

The good cards in black are: Thoughtseize, Damnation, Korlash, Shriekmaw, Nameless Inversion, Extirpate, Liliana Vess, Profane Command, Makeshift Mannequin, Tombstalker.

Some of these are even questionable.
BusDriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 of ur spells cost 2 mana...
R3wind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Withered Wretch and Shriekmaw would be plenty of hate for Tarmogoyf. I think the Damnation in the sb needs to be Pithing Needle. I would also say that 2-3 Serrated Arrows would be a lot better then Deathmark on the sb as Serrated Arrows is also good vs most Tribal Decks. Also 2 Loxodon Warhammers and Lilana Vess would be great. The choice between Stupor and Distress is a tough one for sure. Both are great cards.
Vesuvian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry double post.

Last edited by Vesuvian on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Vesuvian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a card coming out in Morningtide that would fit very well in this deck:

WARNING SPOILER

Scarblade Elite
BB
Creature - Elf Assassin
T, Remove an Assassin card in your graveyard from the game: Destroy target creature.
2/2
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1