Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Right Play #2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
kendiggy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: The Right Play #2 Reply with quote

Welcome back for another episode of The Right Play. Today, as always, I will present a situation from a game I played and you folks, the readers, will share your opinion about what you think the right play is and why. Later, after the debate, I will reveal what play was actually made. Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so that means no flaming!

Today's situation comes from a triple Lorwyn draft tournament.

You're in round two of a 4-3-2-2 draft tournament on Magic Online. Here's your decklist:

1 Runed Stalactite
2 Leaf Gilder
1 Woodland Changeling
1 Fistful of Force
1 Lignify
2 Gilt-Leaf Ambush
2 Battlewand Oak
2 Moonglove Extract
1 Imperious Perfect
1 Elvish Branchbender
1 Masked Admirers
1 Bog-Strider Ash
1 Cloudcrown Oak
1 Elvish Promenade
1 Shriekmaw
1 Warren Pilferers
1 Nath's Elite
1 Seedguide Ash
1 Guardian of Cloverdell
12 Forest
5 Swamp

In your sideboard are the following relevant cards:
1 Footbottom Feast
1 Woodland Guidance

You've already lost game one to one of the nuttiest openings a merfolk deck can have: turn two Judge of Currents, turn three Drowner of Secrets, turn four Judge of Currents and he mills away both your shriekmaw and your pilferers.

For game two, you side out both Guardian of Cloverdell and Elvish Promenade for Footbottom Feast and Woodland Guidance, this way you have several outs to his Drowner of Secrets combo.

Game two is a bit more fair as you use Moonglove Extract on his Silvergill Douser and he blocks your Leaf Gilder with Judge of Currents, leaving him with nothing but four lands on board and you with four lands, a Battlewand Oak and a Runed Stalactite equipped to it. At the end of your turn he casts Sentinels of Glen Elendra, untaps, attacks, plays a land and passes. You untap, play a forest, attack for four, he takes it. Now, in your hand is Warren Pilferers and Nath's Elite. The only creature in your graveyard is Leaf Gilder, so you want to hold onto Pilferers for now. You cast Nath's Elite, he plays Faerie Trickery. At this point, he is at 12 and you are at 18. He untaps, plays land, Kithkin Healer, Oblivion Ring removing your Battlewand Oak, attacks for two and passes. You untap, draw another Battlewand Oak, play it equip and pass. He untaps, casts Avian Changeling, attacks for two and passes. You untap, draw Seedguide Ash, cast it, he counters with Broken Ambition, you clash with a land putting it on the bottom, he shows Mulldrifter. You mill away Footbottom Feast, two lands and a Woodland Guidance. You attack for four, putting him at 8 while you're at 16. Pass. He casts Mulldrifter, plays a land, attacks for 6 and passes. Seems like a losing situation.

Now here's the question. You untap and draw Woodland Changeling. Which do you cast, Woodland Changeling to give your Battlewand Oak the bonus and keep the pressure on or do you cast Warren Pilferers to get back Seedguide Ash or Leaf Gilder? Why? Remember you've only got five lands in play and he has seven, having just cast Mulldrifter last turn.
eotizzle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the pressure, play the changeling, you seem to be the aggro deck
also you can just play warren next trun and get back ash, the following turn play it, for even more pressure, and him knowing that if he kills it you get more lands
also you get to topdeck 2 times, and the chances of him winning with his board position in 2 turns is unlikely
CloudRisen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cast pilferer returning your elf and going for just swarm tactics. If he had no cards in hand pressure would be correct however when your in a losing board position vs flyers and he has cards in hand taking for granted that they might not be relevant is a bad choice, if he has a Crip swap or just random blockers for your treefolk guy, you have no dmg the next turn and are dead to flying before your able to finish him.
eotizzle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always assume the cards in your opps hand are useless ^_^
lennin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats such a good strategy for magic
Avata

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so now you're at 10 and he's at 8, right?

I don't know if either play is more correct than the other. If you play the changeling and swing he's at 4 and needs to hold back a blocker, but if you play the warren pilferer, he'll be staring down battlewand and pilferer and... hold back a blocker.

Perhaps the best play is to go for the total bluff, playing pilferer and getting back the elf. Then your opponent might assume you have no battlewand pumps and swing with all, giving you the chance for a "lucksack" changeling + drop a forest and swing for 11.
Counterlife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you gotta just jump.
jared

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd play the changling. i know it's a long shot but you can still put on pressure but also if it somehow dies you can return it with pilferers and swing with a hasted 3/3. but pressure you can get i think. although with that board idk if it would die. but then you could swing for 4 and maybe force a block. if not he'd def have to block the next turn. and you'd have another card to draw. just seems better than swing for 2 and give him more outs due to less damage that turn.
Haro
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the Healer in play? No one is really mentioning it... with it in play, it makes it impossible to try to race the other guy unless you topdeck really well.

But either way, you are going to lose since you have no fliers or creatures with reach so you have to be aggressive.
aceben3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think quite possibly the only way you can race successfully (without drawing Shriekmaw) is to play Pilferers and get back Seedguide Ash. Any bear you play is just going to be eaten by the Kithkin Healer, so you can't be aggressive with them. Getting the 4/4 back seems like your only chance. First, I think you should attack with the 1/3 and bluff a trick of some sort; you really don't have much to lose by doing so.
jazzbat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a man. Do the right thing.
Noname1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

play Warren Pilferers

if you play the changeling and swing for 4
his turn he swings for 6 flying
you 4 him 4

now you have to kill him because you can't kill 2 flying creatures
in this situation only winning the clash on Fistful of Force can save you

now if you play the Warren Pilferers take leaf gilder
swing for 2
his turn swings for 6
you 4 him 6

once again you have to kill him this turn to win but this time
Moonglove Extract, Shriekmaw and winning the clash on Fistful of Force can save you
Jayzus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, even after reading everyone's answer, I can't see how it possibly matters.

Either way he has six power worth of evasive damage on the board, along with a Kithkin Healer. So either

A) you play Woodland Changeling and swing for three (Kithkin prevents one). His turn he swings for six. We'll assume he does nothing (because if he does anything, its game over) The life total is now you:4 him:5. On your turn, if you draw Shriekmaw, you maw the Kithkin and swing for four (three if he prevents one). If you draw the extract, same thing. Your only chance is drawing Fistful of Force and winning the clash.

B) you play Pilferers and swing for one (kithkin prevents one). His turn he swings for six, and we'll again assume does nothing else. Life totals are now you:4 him:7. If you draw Maw, you maw kithkin, play changeling, and swing for six (he prevents one with Kithkin). Extract is where things get a bit tricky. If you draw extract, and target the kithkin healer, your opponent should tap the healer to put a damage shield on himself. If he uses the healer to save its own life however, you can win by dropping the changeling and swinging for 7. But if he responds correctly and targets himself, you just swing for 6 again. And again, if you draw Force and win the clash, you win.

So I guess subpoint B gives your opponent one more chance to screw up. . .but I'll remind you that both of these assume he does nothing the turn after drawing two from a drifter. Literally nothing. If he plays even a 1/1 chump blocker, it's game over.
CloudRisen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he cant prevent 1 dmg with the healer, since it tapped to allow him to swing for 6 the previous turn.

The player is actually at 10, not 16 which is what is throwing some of you off.

The only way to win this game is to drop Pilferer's and crash for 2 dropping him to 6, he will then swing with his flyers and drop you to 4 leaving the healer behind, your only chance of winning would be for him to have hit nothing but land in 3 cards and evoking a shreikmaw and dropping changeling to swing for 7 (1 prevented from healer obv makes it 6).
kendiggy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I guess it's about time for me to tell you all what happened. I cast Warren Pilferers to try to get back Seedguide Ash and he had another Broken Ambition. I lost.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2