Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to beat guile.deck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
KrovikanMist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: how to beat guile.deck Reply with quote

what are the strategies to beat this deck?

I know it sounds very general and not specific but how do you oust them of their counters and get around guile+pact of negation once they set it up?

also whats important to note in the guile mirror? hence explain what cards are in the sb for the mirror match. [5marks]
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry buddy, you gotta fight fire with fire, or water with water in this case. The only thing that beats a blue deck are blue decks. And Monoblue is the best.

I'm not happy about it either just so you know.
KrovikanMist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about water vs fire?

ie very fast aggro vs mono blue

just so u know so u're not stuck there playing 90min games all day...
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Sorry buddy, you gotta fight fire with fire, or water with water in this case. The only thing that beats a blue deck are blue decks. And Monoblue is the best.

I'm not happy about it either just so you know.

thats just stupid.

Fast aggro played right can own blue. Select green can do it too. Including Eyes of the Wisent
Bozo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Jacois was joking. Anyways, Molten Disaster and Eyes of the Wisent are good if you're playing Mana Ramp. I'm pretty sure Elves have a really good matchup against Sonic Boom. I would venture a guess that Predator does too...
Avata

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyes of the Wisent is incredibly strong against Guile, as is quick discard - thoughtseize and Augur of Skulls can really hurt. Also, if you have access to quick threats that come down early, they'll have to tap out eventually to answer them. If you have threats that cost less than their counterspells, you're also getting ahead of the game.

If you have a lot of spells that can come down instant speed this helps too - overload their end step, then untap and resolve dangerous spells.

As for disrupting them "after the get set up," well, that's kind of the point of mono-blue. Once they're set up (usually if they untap with Guile in play) chances are you're in for a world of hurt. The key is to throw enough quick aggression or disruption at them that they can't get set up in the first place.
shadow483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Akroma with the proper mana acceleration can run it over since they usally have only one out to it pre-sideboard and that is cryptic cpmmand with pickles backing it up after board.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about tempo. Forcing them to counter on their own turn with cards that have flash, or attacking their mana base - they always have to have EVERY land. I lost games playing Guile.dec to Mannequin just by him going eot Venser the turn before his Cloudskate unsuspended, then following that up with a main phase Cloudskate...even if I counter one that's setting me back two land drops with 2 dudes on the board... Guile can't handle that. UGw Blink should wreck Guile. Mana Ramp isn't very good against Guile, like every other slow nonblue deck, because it has to play the beatdown, but it's way too slow to do so effectively...You can't slide under the counters when they have a million lands. Elves can probably beat Guile if you have a quick enough start - remember they have no wrath effects.
Mizekel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a way to block Guile, and then just outlast them. I beat a counter deck with a White Aggro just by sitting there till my hand was full, then spamming low cost spells. Also, if you can put things into play without playing spells. (Example: Mobilzation (Enchantment). 2W to put 1/1 tokens into play.
ChuckNorris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow483 wrote:
Red Akroma with the proper mana acceleration can run it over since they usally have only one out to it pre-sideboard and that is cryptic cpmmand with pickles backing it up after board.

Or they can, you know, just copy it with a shapeshifter :/
BoSMaN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skred Red had a good matchup against Sonic Boom with maindeck Molten Disaster and Red Akroma in the sideboard.
StrikeForce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, red Akroma will help against Sonic Boom. However, the matchup against it is already pretty good. The keys to beating Sonic Boom have already been stated: Play more spells than they can counter by playing things on their turn as well.
Black_Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrath of God that will be countered followed by another Wrath of God?

Magus of the Disk already in play protected by Dawn's Charm and Momentary Blink? Same with Mangara.
Spyx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elves owns the crap out of guile.dec
aceben3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughtseize, Eyes of the Wisent, swarm aggro that doesn't die to desert (elves maybe)...I'm pretty sure BG Rack owns it, too bad I hate Rack
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2