Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Black Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Rith54154

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Mono Black Control Reply with quote

23 Swamps

Creatures

2 Tombstalker
4 Korlash, Heir to blackblade
3 Graveborn Muse
3 Shriekmaw
1 Haakon, Stormglad Scourge

Spells

2 Profane Command
2 Lilana Vess
3 Extripate
3 Damnation
4 Nameless Inversion
2 Phyrexian Totem
4 Tendrils of Corruption
4 Thoughtseize

Sideboard

1 Extirpate
1 Damnation
2 Phage, The Untochable
3 DeathMark
2 Slaughter Pact
3 Pithing Needle
3 Sudden Death

Do you think that this deck could do good or at least decent in T2? I have tested it a few times and it has done alright. Also, any suggestions on how to make it better.
Ffancrzy
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my version

I topped 4ed a trial a while back w/ a similar list

//NAME: Untitled Deck
2 Mouth of Ronom
3 Scrying Sheets
14 Snow-Covered Swamp
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Howltooth Hollow
2 Liliana Vess
4 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
3 Shriekmaw
4 Hypnotic Specter
2 Dread
4 Thoughtseize
4 Damnation
4 Cruel Edict
3 Tendrils of Corruption
2 Stupor
2 Profane Command
2 Consume Spirit
// Sideboard:
SB: 2 Profane Command
SB: 3 Sudden Death
SB: 4 Deathmark
SB: 4 Extirpate
SB: 2 Phyrexian Totem
R3wind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really give Stupor a slot and I would def run 4 maws. I will test it out some and report back over the weekend. Looks pretty tight already though. I think some things could be tuned up.

Now that I think about it, you may want to run Maw and Taal in the deck.

Stupor, Maw, Taal, & Damnation in one deck could be some strong stuff for sure.
Mad03
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
1 Academy Ruins
1 Dreadship Reef
4 Frost Marsh
3 Mouth of Ronom
3 Scrying Sheets
9 Snow-Covered Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Urza's Factory

// Creatures
3 Dread
4 Phyrexian Ironfoot
3 Shriekmaw
1 Triskelavus
2 Liliana Vess
2 Graveborn Muse
1 Garza's Assassin

// Spells
1 Haunting Hymn
2 Tendrils of Corruption
4 Damnation
1 Profane Command
4 Coldsteel Heart
2 Loxodon Warhammer
2 Terror

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Thoughtseize
SB: 3 Deathmark
SB: 3 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Phage the Untouchable
SB: 1 Spell Burst

thatas my list its being working pretty good
x|dralnu|x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad03 wrote:
// Lands
1 Academy Ruins
1 Dreadship Reef
4 Frost Marsh
3 Mouth of Ronom
3 Scrying Sheets
9 Snow-Covered Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Urza's Factory

// Creatures
3 Dread
4 Phyrexian Ironfoot
3 Shriekmaw
1 Triskelavus
2 Liliana Vess
2 Graveborn Muse
1 Garza's Assassin

// Spells
1 Haunting Hymn
2 Tendrils of Corruption
4 Damnation
1 Profane Command
4 Coldsteel Heart
2 Loxodon Warhammer
2 Terror

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Thoughtseize
SB: 3 Deathmark
SB: 3 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Phage the Untouchable
SB: 1 Spell Burst

thatas my list its being working pretty good

Working good against what?

Trisk engine with no way to fetch for the pieces besides 2 Vess.. Way too many non-swamp lands with 4 Korlash, and only 2 Urborgs with no ways to fetch except for the aforementioned 2 Vesses.

Also I'm confused as to what Blue is doing in MBC. Shocked
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1º use the snow lands because it gives you a way to draw (scrying sheets) and some extra removal (mouth of ronom), urza's factory also is a win condition, and obviouslly urborg to make korlash big

2º put Thoughtseize and stupor to have some disruption (key against control and also help VS aggro, specially with burn)

3º i am not a huge fan of haakon and even less when you are only using 1, besides you dont have a way to discard him (can only be played from grave) so he would be in many cases a card you would never draw...and a dead card when you do....replace him with the 4º shriekmaw (betther than nekraatal because it has some evasion and the evoke cost makes it more funtional)

4º hypnotic specter is really a good idea because of the evasion (more important now than ever due to planeswalkers), and the ability

5º extirpate i think is a SB card in most cases.....phage?? WTF? i know you have command but is the same deal as haakon no way of discarding him (at least you waste a vess counter on you)
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commanding Phage would be a very bad idea...

That last deck has 9 lands that does not give black mana. Do not play Garza's Assassin or other BBB cards with such a mana-base.

The first deck: Extirpate, Phyrexian Totem, Haakon and Graveborn Muse should not be there for various reasons.

Extirpate because it mostly do nothing. It is a sideboard card which removes specific cards you do not want to be played against you.

Phyrexian Totem because its acceleration is to 5 mana turn 4, which you do not need in a deck mainly composed of 4cc cards.

Haakon because your ways of discarding it is 2 Liliana and 4 Thoughtseize.

Graveborn Muse isn't good enough. If you played an aggressive creature deck, so that the opponent have more than 1-2 threats to take care of during a game, he could be okay. In a control deck he is awful.

Take those out and add 4 Mind Stone, the 4th Damnation, the 4th Shriekmaw, 2 Dread and a Swamp.
R3wind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the list that I was talking about.

It is a bit slow in the control matchup. If it gets online it owns aggro decks. I have played about 25-30 games. I know that the list would scoop to decks like Pickles or Sonic Boom. There is just not a lot that you can side vs them. I have a bit of a toolbox for the Planeswalker. Three Planeswalkers is the right number. I am thinking of main decking one Pithing Needle to stop random bad things. I would cut one of the Profane Command for I think. Both Cards are really great so I think that I will just keep Pithing Needle in the side. I do need more main deck anwsers to black creatures. I feel that the only real issues the deck has is heavy counter decks like Sonic Boom or Counter-Burn.

There is also a minor anti-synergy with Liliana Vess and Korlash, Heir to Blackblade. I may look for a new finisher.

So here is the list. I hope that this helps you with your list. Have fun and good luck.

// Lands
20 [CS] Snow-Covered Swamp
3 [CS] Scrying Sheets
1 [TSP] Urza's Factory

// Creatures
4 [CS] Phyrexian Ironfoot
4 [FUT] Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
3 [LRW] Shriekmaw
3 [LRW] Liliana Vess
1 [CS] Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
1 [LRW] Dread

// Spells
4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
4 [PLC] Damnation
3 [LRW] Nameless Inversion
3 [TSB] Stupor
2 [TSP] Tendrils of Corruption
2 [LRW] Profane Command
1 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer
1 [TSP] Gauntlet of Power

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
SB: 4 [TSP] Smallpox
SB: 3 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 3 [TSP] Sudden Death
SB: 1 [10E] Beacon of Unrest
Rith54154

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your list R3wind but i agree it is nearly impossible to beat sonic boom and pickles. The deck needs something to beat those decks and i can't think of anything that will help.

Phage is in the sideboard for turbofog, You extirpate so of the key cards to stop dmg and you kill with phage.
toguppy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rith54154 wrote:
I really like your list R3wind but i agree it is nearly impossible to beat sonic boom and pickles. The deck needs something to beat those decks and i can't think of anything that will help.

Phage is in the sideboard for turbofog, You extirpate so of the key cards to stop dmg and you kill with phage.

i personally wouldve presumed that profane command would be enough to finish them off.... what with extirpating anything they have to stop it and all the first time.
x|dralnu|x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toguppy wrote:
Rith54154 wrote:

i personally wouldve presumed that profane command would be enough to finish them off.... what with extirpating anything they have to stop it and all the first time.

Very hard to Extirpate Beacon of Immortality.
KrovikanMist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Dread man? 6 mana 6/6 fear and they have to sac if they attack.

also I think there should be a special keyword for Dread's Special ability.

I'm thinking it should be called Guiltfill
R3wind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in my list as a toolbox target. He is good but I do not care for his sac ablity. I side it out for Beacon of Unrest in the aggro match up. Seems sillÝ but it works every time that I have sided him out for Beacon of Unrest. Maybe Dread should be in the side for the non-blue control matches?
R3wind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any cards that we should look into as sideboard options vs Blue control decks? I was really thinking that Thoughtsieze, Smallpox, Pithing Needle, Sudden Death, and Stupor may not get the deck there.

I could be wrong though.

Would you keep the discard on the play and drop it on the draw? I know that it is a tough call to make. If there was just a way to force the planeswalker for the win.

Maybe Huanting Hymm would be good at EOT.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against heavy counter, instants and flash is key. You can't win at only sorcery speed. Even with discard.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1