Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTG Real Life or MWS or both

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
Kikin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: MTG Real Life or MWS or both Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been asked. But just out of curiousity. How many people play MTG in real life? or just MWS? or both?

And why? (just curious)

Thanx for your time
Manipulation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played MWS in awhile, but I go to Friday Night Magic every week, and I go to every Limited PTQ.

I'll play MWS if I need it for testing a Constructed deck, though.
Kikin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea,that's cool. Im asking this since I want to play mtg cards,but i just dont have time to play or its too much money to spend.
Manipulation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can add up, the key is not going overboard, be conservative with what you spend on the game, making sure you're squeezing maximum fun out of your dollar.

For $84, I could buy a set of Tarmogoyfs, or go to 8 FNM drafts. I'd use the Goyfs, but the amount of fun is higher in the FNMs, so that's what I'd choose.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to almost all .de PTQs, most EU GPs all PTs i'm qualified for and usually ~1 constructed or classic format. FNM has not enough players and I dont have time on Friday Evening usually, so unfortunately, that's not an option.

I also play MWS, but not on mwsplay.net vs random opponents with really random decks, obviously, i play here on the tournaments to get the same archetype of opponent like i meet at PTQs
FlyingFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play both, but since I only play Constructed (PTQ's, GPT's, Nationals), testing on this league is really good for my general constucted knowlegde !

btw: I'm starting to play limited now, it's so funny Cool

greets jonathan

@ Kikin: Most players use this league to test for bigger events but there are also players that only play on magic-league !
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played paper magic since beta. But I stopped buying magic product right around Ravnica mainly because it really is getting too expensive and I dont really like where Magic is going enough to invest money into it. But I still love playing the game so I just play mws now.
BusDriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: j Reply with quote

I play MWS fairly often, preferably ML tournaments, but those aren't always around.
I don't play paper paper magic, give or take a limited PTQ once every year.
My main issue with paper magic is that it is insanely expensive. If one wants to draft few times a week, do a sealed it's already more money than I cna spend a week. Not to mention if u want all the goodies to make the best deck its even more expensive. And 1 month later ur gonna wanna play another deck, so you can start tapping into your bank account again. Every 4 months there is a new set, so that means buying heavy again.
I love this game, but spending 100$ a week on it is rediculous, especially when ML is free. I understand that there is alot of time and effort that goes into development of the game, but 5$ for a booster that costs 0.5$ to make, that's a little over the top. The downside to ML and more MWS channels is that the level of alot of players is very low.
I also don't really like the average magic-player in belgium. There are geeks and then there are magic players. I love the game, but I must say I lack some of the, uhm, passion, that other players tend to have for it.
BusDriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: j Reply with quote

I play MWS fairly often, preferably ML tournaments, but those aren't always around.
I don't play paper paper magic, give or take a limited PTQ once every year.
My main issue with paper magic is that it is insanely expensive. If one wants to draft few times a week, do a sealed it's already more money than I cna spend a week. Not to mention if u want all the goodies to make the best deck its even more expensive. And 1 month later ur gonna wanna play another deck, so you can start tapping into your bank account again. Every 4 months there is a new set, so that means buying heavy again.
I love this game, but spending 100$ a week on it is rediculous, especially when ML is free. I understand that there is alot of time and effort that goes into development of the game, but 5$ for a booster that costs 0.5$ to make, that's a little over the top. The downside to ML and more MWS channels is that the level of alot of players is very low.
I also don't really like the average magic-player in belgium. There are geeks and then there are magic players. I love the game, but I must say I lack some of the, uhm, passion, that other players tend to have for it.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. More online though since offline involves expensive, long travels which I'm not too keen on too often.
Craze

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the money nor care to play paper magic. If you play MWS you can to do it at home while doing other stuff as well, so yeah, I'm pretty much a MWS only player
lennin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing magic irl is expensive but thats why u gotta have connections and just borrow cards off other ppl, thats wat most of the good players in my area do anyway
snoopster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't played irl (or online) for about 8 months now, I am considering hitting some ptqs again. When I did play, I played mainly online (modo and m-l sometimes) but also irl in some larger tournaments than fmns (gps, ptqs, states). Since I'd typically be going to 1-2 ptqs a month, the cost wouldn't be high at all. For constructed events, I would just borrow every card for my deck, as I have a large amount of barns, and I haven't bought cards (boxes, packs, or singles) since around mirrodin. So basically I never spend any money on magic except entry fees because I practice online and borrow cards for irl. And often irl I win boxes and stuff, so I even make money some of the time Very Happy
Meatwarz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modo Cool + ptqs/gpts irl
Kikin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where this is going to. Keep the comments coming.
As for me. I think mws is awesome. I would give $100 to the people who made this program just for making this fun and making the game I love free :p But yea. I would like to play paper paper mtg.but like some of ya'll said. and I think as well. Its very expensive. Even if I just make a pickles deck and have no trading cards. I would still be happy.

Is there any player that play paper paper mtg but only have a deck to playi n tournerys without trades? (might not be smart,but its at least you can have a experience shuffling the cards you earned)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2