Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Story Circle rules

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Lynolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Story Circle rules Reply with quote

I have two questions

1º: My opponent has story circle and I play Sulfurous Blast. Does the damage of the Blast is ALL prevented or only the damage dealt to my opponent?

2º: Again, my opponent has story circle but this time I have Hostility in play. What happens if I play sulfurous Blast? Do I get 3 Elementals? If I do, are those elementals destroyed by Sulfurous Blast? Or my opponent plays the Circle ability and nothing happens?

Help me please Smile

Lynolf (Maluko)
IberianWolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

story circle text:
As Story Circle comes into play, choose a color.
{W}: The next time a source of your choice of the chosen color would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage

1º: damage to YOU. all other damage is still dealt.

2º: Hostility says "if a spell you control WOULD deal damage to an opponent". Now i'm not pretty sure about what happens here, so i'll give my two opinions:

1 - since both say "would" and damage isn't actually dealt anyway, story circle doesn't prevent you from getting the shamans. also, I think the shamans come into play after the blast resolves (not sure about it though)

2 - since story circle prevents the damage, damage WOULDN'T be dealt, and therefore you get nothing.

as I said, I'm not sure about the second question, hopefully someone else can explain it. hope I helped Wink
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2) They come into play as the damage is being dealt. Sort of 'at almost the same time'. But because they can't be created if the damage has not yet been dealt they will escape the damage themselves and stay in play.

P.S. It is a very tricky question, but I'm 99% sure.
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that since both are prevention abilities, the one that "goes first" is chosen by the controller of the spell dealing damage. That's under 419.9a or something like that. Does that sound right? So that will be the controller of Hostility, and he'll get the Elementals.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laonis_Taere wrote:
Um, I'm not entirely sure, but I think that since both are prevention abilities, the one that "goes first" is chosen by the controller of the spell dealing damage. That's under 419.9a or something like that. Does that sound right? So that will be the controller of Hostility, and he'll get the Elementals.

The Story Circle and Hostility are controlled by different players. They have nothing to do with each other.
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtrack wrote:
The Story Circle and Hostility are controlled by different players. They have nothing to do with each other.

That's what I thought at first, but I was bored and looked at the rules for prevention effects. Hostility and Story Circle both say "would deal damage, prevent it" or something along those lines. The only difference is that Hostility does something extra if the damage is prevented.

419.9a If two or more replacement or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply. Then the other effect applies if it is still appropriate.

I think that rule fits the scenario, and I haven't found a better one so far.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I misread Hostility.

My answer is correct assuming your opponent doesn't use his Story Circle (you'll get tokens, which won't be damaged).

But if he decides to use play the ability of his Circle, he gets to decide which prevention/replacement to use first. If he uses the Circle first, the damage is prevented and you don't get any tokens at all (like Laonis_Taere said, I made a mistake myself about what affected who).
Laonis_Taere

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err.... What I meant was that he will get the tokens, just as you said before, Hardtrack. I guess I'm being confusing with throwing rules quotes in. It should happen with or without the story circle, since what's being affected is the damage from the Sulfuric Blast controlled by the controller of Hostility. Thus (unless you don't want shamans for some reason) the Hostility prevention can be chosen, and will generate shamans. But you're right in that the shamans won't die.

Though, I may be wrong, maybe the "affected object or player" means the player that is being dealt damage to. Yeah, I'm getting myself confused...
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The affected player' is the player getting damaged.

So just a recap:

You control Hostility, you play Sulfurous Blast. Your opponent won't be damaged, but you will get three 3/1 tokens (two if you played it outside your Main Phase) which won't be dealt damage by the Blast.

If your opponent controls a Story Circle and decides to play the activated ability, your opponent gets to decide which replacement/prevention effect to apply first, so he can either simply have the damage be prevented or give you tokens.

Guess which one he's going to choose....
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1