Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono U control

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
ajvanadri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Mono U control Reply with quote

POST RAV MUC

4 Urza's Factory
20 Island
3 Draining Whelk
4 boomerang
3 Logic Knot
3 Discombobulate
3 Pact of Negation
4 Dismal Failure
4 Cancel
4 Rune Snag
4 Spiketail Hatchling
4 Spiketail Drakeling
SB: 4 Fledgling Mawcor
SB: 3 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
SB: 4 Evacuation
SB: 4 Pithing Needle

First, I want to point out this deck was made for fun and to piss people off, not to win, yet so far this deck is amost undefeated, 10-1 at this point, 2 were agaist rack, most were agaist anglefire. The 1 loss was where I had to leave in the middle of game 2 and Im sure I could have won after side.

Im pretty sure most of you can figure it out, if you cant, basicly you just counter everything and either win with a big welk, or a bunch of factory tokens.

Fledgling Mawcor is the only card Im not really sure about, but I cant think of anything to take him out for at this point.

Any criticism is appreciated, and I dont really care if you think the deck sucks, I think its done extreamly well so far.

Last edited by ajvanadri on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajvanadri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot to mention that this deck is post ravnica, and if I was going to include anything from ravnica, then it would be spellsnare

and as for Delay, doesnt really, work well, considering the deck only has 1 card for card advantage, and I dont want to be wasting 2 cards to deal with my opponents 1 if I dont have to, same reason mana leak isnt in the deck
yehudi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why isnt tefri main and if you are trying for post rav why are there no lorwyn cards the blue lorwyn cards spoiled sofar seem great in your deck
espescialy with all the new counters
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the Logic Knots for Teferi

Take out the Hatchlings (or Drakelings, or a few of both) for Venser. Find a way to run at least 2 Evacuation main.

Against aggro, the main problem of yours is early creatures. Especially Troll, which you can't Boomerang. Also, burn played at your face at end of turn either goes through, or you will have to tap out in order to counter it, allowing permanents to be played in the opponent's turn. Counter is easily played around by good players. Bottom line is: you lack board control, and you lack card advantage. In a control deck, those are alpha and omega. If you could find a way to let mono blue control have both of those, then you should be proud of yourself.

Ah, and add Bottle Gnomes to sideboard! Lifegain is very important for control decks in this aggro meta.
surfcheery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best creature in mono blue was masticore...and so is the new masticore from X
i would add 2-3 main...with foresee and other one-for-more-cards cards Smile
with cards like this mono blue is really viable
...and of course needles 3 main would make a lot of work Smile
KeySam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis deck needs card draw the dismail falirures and things are just not enough, and you realy need a good way to fith through aggro, your deck just looses in that mu. (if you dont have rune snag its 100% game over). And if their curve is low they can just go creature creature and you can only counter one... 4 Factorys is too mutch, 2 factorys and 4 desert in that place would be better. 1-2 Tolaria west to fetch your Pacts and factorys and deserts... Maybe ancestral vision for card draw since it can also be fetched. The Spiketails are also not realy what you want, replace them with card draw. You need more board control vs aggro...

Just a few things came into my mind.

HF with your deck

KeySam
Conway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: ummm no Reply with quote

Their have been at least e creatures that have been better for monoU in the past.
1.)Ophidian
2.)Morphling
3.) Meloku the clouded mirror of victory. Seriously, this is THE card that allowed for ridiculous come-from-behind victories. He also changed blue's fundamental turn from the turn. Previously it was the turn where the opponent stopped playing dudes and you were able to EOT draw cards instead of use your mana for counters.(Usually turn 5ish but often alot later.) Meloku made the fundamental turn a hard turn 5 or 6 for sure. With the meloku plan you only had to remand shit for a couple of turns, untap and win. No long permission battles, just like, jushi, remand, counter, remand, meloku ftw. (or maybe keiga.)

but ur right. masticore is the shit, and razermane is a peerless option in monoU right now.
Hawkins

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 teferi
2 masticore
1 draining whelk

4 delay
4 remand
4 remove soul
3 spell snare
4 cancel

4 condem
3 repeal
4 think twice

3 terramorphic expanse
2 plains
3 calciform pools
2 urza's factory
2 faerie conclave
12 island

sb
2 teferi's moat
3 trickbind
3 tormod's crypt
4 faith's fetters
3 disenchant

this is what i have been testing with good results. the white helps a lot and i know you dont wanna do ravinca but we don't know enough of the new cards for me to make a new list. i know i want the new counterspell rare that does like 4 things and 2 of them at once and im sure they will have more things (hopefully a good draw spell). as for the white helping condem is really good right now and the white in the board is nuts. hope this helps some.
R3wind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: ummm no Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
Their have been at least e creatures that have been better for monoU in the past.
1.)Ophidian
2.)Morphling
3.) Meloku the clouded mirror of victory.

Hey you forgot about Man-O-War. The master of tempo cards. Also Capsize FTW!!!

I would think about Jayemdaye Tome or somethin' (Mystical Teachings) for draw. 24 lands seem low. How about 2-3 storage lands? I would look to spred out your counters and threats as Extirpate will shred most mono U decks. I like to play 2-3 counters of differant types to offset this weakness.

The new command is going to be hot in mono U you should look into this one.
ajvanadri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your all missing why its strong, it counters everything after turn, burn can be a problem, but usally its ok to let it though, and with at 5 life,

As for agro, thats why evacuation is in side, in htis deck it might as well be a wrtah of god.

Early drops are taken care of by boomerang after you stabalize with 5 mana and 6 counters in hand.

I agree that spiketail hatchling is weak in the deck, but the Drakeling is too strong for words, it forces people to play around it, and if its targetd by something like tendrils, just sac it in responce to counter the life gain.

And yes I agree that Teferi should be main, Im thinking of taking out the Hatchlings for him.
jared

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought a chronicler on 1 w/ a hand of counters was always pretty strong. a 6/6 with counter back up seems like a good win condition to me. also play the blue planeswalker. his first two abilities are really good. and it gives you card advantage whenever you want it.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajvanadri wrote:
I think your all missing why its strong, it counters everything after turn, burn can be a problem, but usally its ok to let it though, and with at 5 life,

As for agro, thats why evacuation is in side, in htis deck it might as well be a wrtah of god.

Early drops are taken care of by boomerang after you stabalize with 5 mana and 6 counters in hand.

I agree that spiketail hatchling is weak in the deck, but the Drakeling is too strong for words, it forces people to play around it, and if its targetd by something like tendrils, just sac it in responce to counter the life gain.

And yes I agree that Teferi should be main, Im thinking of taking out the Hatchlings for him.

As I said, counters are not "da uberpowerful tech, maaan". Since you don't have card advantage, you will eventually run out of counters, and then you lose. Boomerang gives you a turn extra, at best. If you don't have a counter in hand (or on the board), the creature will be played again and you are at one less card. It is impossible to counter everything. That is why control players play Wrath and Damnation, it eases up the extreme need of countering everything the opponent plays the first turns, which is difficult.

The opponent WILL get threats through, one way or another. It is inevitable. And Boomerang is not the answer. Neither is Evacuation at 5 mana when you have no mana acceleration.

What will you do against Treefolk, Scryb Ranger, Split Second cards, opponent counterspells, a resolved Troll Ascetic, Quagnoth, discard decks (discard pwns counter) etc etc etc...

Counter is an aid to a game strategy, not a game strategy itself. It buys you time, it doesn't win you the game.
Hawkins

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried muc and it is hard to do right now. Remember that muc in mirrodin had vedalken shakles and later meloku. they also had good instant speed draw spells. muc will make its return but for right now i think pickles is the closest we will get. plus pickles is really good all their guys do something. they are good at controling the board too. the deck is nuts you should try it i think you would like it. what it is missing is a really good board changing creature. there is no meloku or masticore or memnarch. teferi is good but he doesn't help if there are a lot of guys or if you are just in a losing spot. and why not splash black when you can tutor for any instant or creature if teferi is out.

this is the pickles list i'm using and it top 8's all the time where i play and we have about a 30 person turn out every week so it is some good compitition.

1 fathom seer
1 arcanis the omnipotent
1 triskelavus
2 willbender
2 brine elemental
4 vesuvan shapeshifter
3 teferi, mage of zhalfir

1 slaughter pact
3 repeal
3 terror

1 pact of negation
3 spell snare
3 remove soul
4 remand
4 cancel
2 mystical teachings

1 ghost quarter
1 desert
1 academy ruins
2 urza's factory
2 tolaria west
3 dreadship reef
2 dimir aqueduct
11 island

sb
3 extirpate
1 draining whelk
1 spell snare
2 trickbind
1 tormad's crypt
3 serrated arrows
2 fathom seer
2 pongify

it is pretty much your standard list but with somethings that are aimed my metagame. which is a lot of rack and small guys. triskelivus is the nuts when it comes to these decks. also another strange card is the pongifys in the board but the other deck that is popular is the koralsh deck and terrors and slaughter pact do nothing against them but pongifying their guys works really well and i don't have a problem with a few 3/3's.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2