Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tarmogoyf vs. burn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
rockshard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Tarmogoyf vs. burn Reply with quote

my question is, if Tarmogoyf is a 3/4, and you play Char on it, and there are no instants in any graveyard, does Tarmogoyf die?

edit, Answer: No it doesn't. Char is in the graveyard by the time State-based effects are checked.

Last edited by rockshard on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't die I think.
Magnivore doesn't die when wildfire is the 5th sorcery, so I think this works the same.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Goyf's ability is a static effect that is constantly changing, after char resolves, by the time state based effects are checked, char is in the grave making goyfy a 4/5 stick of beefcake.
RichardDWade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djww19 wrote:
^ Creep's right.

I used to abuse the same thing with vore. ^_^ People never saw that 5th sorcery = wildfire coming. lol

not to argue semantics but thats not really abusing since its the rules... but it is obviously something that not everyone will know about, leading to a tricky move.
Magx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but doesnt the Char resolves "in play", so BEFORE it goes to the grave ?
Jacois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:
but doesnt the Char resolves "in play", so BEFORE it goes to the grave ?

The question isn't when does the damage get dealt, the question is when does the Tarmogoyf die as a result of having lethal damage on it. It dies from lethal damage when state based effects are checked.
rockshard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks everyone
kby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creatures dying due to "LETHAL" damage, is only checked on state-based effects, which is the time they die.

in your case:

current p/t - 3/4 (tarmy:sorc, land, creature)

yes it would live, because state-based effects make it a 4/5 before the statebased creature dying to lethal damage layer is applyed.

Same situation, toss it around any way u like.
Magx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kby wrote:
toss it around any way u like.

ok : Char Resolves, doesn t go to the graveyard yet, goyf is 3/4, state bases effect are checked, goyf dies... thank you Twisted Evil

next time, don'T say something like that, I will take advantage of it
Arathomir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And this is why Magx should never answer any questions.

If you're trying to be SarcasticRat, it isn't working.

Tarmogoyf lives, end of discussion. Reasons have been given here. Its been discussed in judge columns. If that's not enough reason, ask your friendly DCI judge.
lennin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magx is obv so good that his spells dont go to graveyard they just hang around on the stack. goyf dies
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magx wrote:
kby wrote:
toss it around any way u like.

ok : Char Resolves, doesn t go to the graveyard yet, goyf is 3/4, state bases effect are checked, goyf dies... thank you Twisted Evil

next time, don'T say something like that, I will take advantage of it

what version of magic are you playing where char resolves but doesn't go to the grave before SBEs are checked? this would be the case if char somehow gained flashback and you cast if from the grave.
HebrewHammer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmogoyf DOES NOT DIE. This question has been asked so many times. SBE's are not quecked upon resolution so even though the goyf has 4 toughness and 4 points of damage on it, it doesnt die. Char goes to the grave, then SBE's are checked and the goyf is then a 4/5 and doesnt die.
LoneWulf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know this HH. It's been established. People are just being stupid with it now.
rockshard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but only I started playing again about a month ago. If that makes me stupid well...

Oh and HebrewHammer thanks for riling up and answering a question that's been answered five times already in this thread alone.

btw hi HebrewHammer, long time no see.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2