Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono red sligh deep analysis - need suggestions and tuning

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
rockshard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job.

Though just as well as Bob I think green splash for Tarmogoyf works too. (There's also white for Lightning Helix.) I don't see why black has to be the only splash. There's even blue for Psionic Blast, but if you do that be sure to cut Browbeat. Although the black splash is good for the creature removal, can remove Hierarchs and Goyfs much easier.

Guerilla Tactics is interesting but are you sure Shock isn't better? I mean it costs only 1 mana.
xDaN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mono red sligh deep analysis - need suggestions and tuni Reply with quote

adatopoulos wrote:
Well, after many playtests, i found out mono red sligh is just as powerful as satanic sligh, even with ravnica's so tolerant mana base. After all, the only powerful card in black is bob.

Anyways here is the list:

4 Ghiutu Encampment
1 Pendelhaven
16 Mountains

4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Scorched Rusalka
4 Keldon Marauders
3 Giant Solifuge

4 Incinerate
4 Seal of Fire
4 Guerilla Tactics
4 Char
4 Rift Bolt
4 Browbeat

SB

4 Pithing Needle
4 Tormod's Crypt
2 Greater Gargadon
4 Sulfur Elemental
1 Giant Solifuge

Possible misconstructs and errors:

Guerilla Tactics -> It's not a powerful card, but there are many rack decks around

Browbeat -> I don't like cards which gives a choice to opponent in first place. Browbeat was the only exception. True, it's very powerful in legacy, but this deck just don't run 4 Lightning Bolt, 4 Fireblast, 4 Chain Lightning, etc. so basically in legacy it's "5 dmg now or 6-7 dmg next turn" card, but in this deck it's "5 dmg now or 4-5 dmg next turn". So it makes you lose tempo. Personally, i suggest everyone to choose draw option when you face vs this deck.

Giant Solifuge -> It just doesn't fit the curve, but very powerful vs some control

Sulfur Elemental -> I didn't include it to shut down martyr (vs a good player, Martyr vs sligh is gg anyways - i include needle to shut it down, by any chance) but it's uncounterable 3/2 flash vs some random blue-white counter decks

Greater Gargadon -> For tendrils evasion and good vs some control decks

Pendelhaven -> I think to include even 2, they're very powerful with Fanatic and Rusalka.

Ghiutu Encampment over Keldon Megaliths? -> These lands are supposed to help you vs control in case you can't go through counterspells or after a damnation. Well, if you fear damnation, you don't cast every creature spell in your hand, so it means no hellbent. If you face a counter deck, there are so many bounces like remand etc, that you just can't empty your hand.

Why no Pyroclasm? Because there is no goblin decks around.

Why no Emberwilde Augur? Because i think it's very slow, and easy to kill. He seems to scream "Tendrils me! or Fetters me! Wrath quick!" to me.

I personally like this deck because: 1) There are many 3 color decks around = Shocklands, painlands, etc.

2) It's not dependant on creatures, so Wrath and Damnation doesn't hurt you so much.

3) There is no Persecute anymore.

My main problems are:

1) Do i have to splash black for just bob (bob is so powerful that it seems possible to me)?

My answer till now is: No. While bob is powerful, it makes you somewhat more vulnurable vs aggro decks, your deck's mana curve is very high (i don't include so many lands and many spells with 3 CC), you already have 4 Char, and you'll have to include shocklands - painlands too, meaning it'll make you even more vulnurable to aggro.

2) What do you do vs 2nd turn martyr, sac, 15 life?

My answer till now is: You say gg then g2? Then side in 4 Needle (and 4 Sulfur just in case) and hope to draw one, and not get disenchanted. Rain of Gore is not a soulution.

3) What do you do vs the most bothering card, Loxodon Hierarch?
Well, Loxodon Hierarch = GW = Somehow creature heavy deck = Very vulnurable to wrath and damnation. So just hope you don't run into it.

4) What do you do vs Lightning Helix, Fetters, Tendrils?
A deck running helix usually is 2-3 color, so helix is just giving him back dmg he took from lands. Vs fetters and tendrils, we must pray rusalka and gargadon are enough evasion.

I await all constructive critics and suggestions.
Thank you all for giving your time.

you just made a fool out of yourself. go diaf plz. u dont deserve to speak. die bye
rockshard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the other truly good black cards by the way? Rakdos Augermage? Guildmage? Hit/Run, Terror. Anything else?

By the way I don't know why you put Ghitu Encampment, Browbeat, and Pithing Needle in bold. If there's something wrong with those cards, you could at least explain it.

Granted, in a 21-land sligh deck having four lands that come into play tapped with an ability that generally takes up an entire turn, maybe not the greatest thing ever.
Revik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coughcoughshadowguildmagecoughcough
OKGengar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-1 ghitu +1 megaliths?
DRINKALCOHOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this deck, post, and player deserve a LOLPENIS
JonPatton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRINKALCOHOL wrote:
this deck, post, and player deserve a LOLPENIS

Deep red deck anal? Yeah, seems so.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that Demonfire was a good card
D0ODIEPWN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a doodie all over this deck and it smelt BAD! doodiedoodiedoodiepwn!
rockshard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adatopoulos wrote:
I don't know, as you start to include more and more black cards like guildmages, etc (perhaps other than hit/run), the deck starts to lose focus (btw i think magus of the scroll is better than shadow guildmage in most cases, but i didn't include him because i think it's slow and vulnurable).

No way. Magus of the Scroll is just too slow and fickle and is easily worse than Shadow Guildmage.

I think you had the right idea with Keldon Megaliths. Megaliths is bad because it's too dependent on your hand. I personally think Megaliths is really poor because once it finally becomes enabled, it deals 1 measly damage a turn. I'd hardly call that a good return.

btw you are wrong about one thing. I don't think your deck is worried about extending into a Wrath. All of your creatures deal damage when they die or have haste anyway. And your deck does not run many creatures in the first place. Your creatures are essentially burn spells.

Anyway here's one thing I'd think of doing to your list

-4 Ghitu Encampment
+1 Pendelhaven
+3 Mountain

-4 Guerilla Tactics
+1 Giant Solifuge
+3 Shock
Squee_Goblin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love new decks that aren't just grabbed off the internet, i run my own satanic sligh but everyone has their own way, i would play one more solifuge, demonfire, instead of tactics i would play sudden shock, in the sideboard i would play cryoclasm which is totally insane. Very nice
rockshard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Newbs also say cards that are killed by funeral charms, icatian javelineers, darkblasts and billions of other cards are broken.

Good point, but you could have said the exact same thing about Disciple of the Vault. I thought pretty much the same thing about Disciple that you say now about Dark Confidant, and yet, Disciple was banned.

But no I don't think Dark Confidant is "broken".
TheOrb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the Guerilla Tactics for Shocks, possibly Chars.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2