Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GU aggro-control, Post 10th (I need lil help)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: GU aggro-control, Post 10th (I need lil help) Reply with quote

Been testing Gu aggro control with 10th out and I so far really like my build. I do however notice that it has a bad match up versus burn aggro decks. Any advice?

Here's the list:

GU Aggro-Control
Creatures - 19
4 x Birds of Paradise
4 x Ohran Viper
4 x Troll Ascetic
3 x Plaxmanta
2 x Mystic Snake
Spells - 18
4 x Remand
4 x Voidslime
4 x Call of the Herd
3 x Repeal
3 x Loxodon Warhammer
2 x Psionic Blast
Land - 23
4 x Breeding Pool
4 x Yavimaya Coast
4 x Snow-Covered Forest
4 x Snow-Covered Island
2 x Mouth of Ronom
2 x Treetop Village
2 x Desert
1 x Faerie Conclave

Sideboard
4 x Utopia Vow
4 x Tormod's Crypt
4 x Bottle Gnomes
3 x Krosan Grip

So yeah...any thoughts or issues you see? I'm thinking maybe the utopia vows are not needed and i can put in 4 Spike Feeder. Then again I'm worried about Akroma and Skeletal vampire and stuff.

Last edited by Fanboy on Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:05 am; edited 5 times in total
Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do not need,
wall of roots
stonewood invocation

in their place i would recomend adding
tarmogoyf
delay/call of the herd
zero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a deck with 8 3cc drops and 4 cc drops as only creatures (with man lands) is called agro? zomg, jesus christ add more threats, tarmogoyf is infinite times better than wall of roots
Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a lil concerned about him getting picked off to early and not getting big as thedeck doesnt really do that...but now that i think about it...wall only really helps against aggro...and aggro will fill grave for me...so yeah...i guess tarmogoyf it is...

Also...Call of herd or ohran viper?

And I'm not sure i wanna drop the stone wood...it has helped me out from time to time...whether im attaching it to a trampler or flyer for the win, using it to foil someones burn spell as they dont block, or simply taking out a creature out of range of my mout of ronoms.

I'm also debating -1 ronom and -1 urzas for +2 desert...

I also just had a very hard match versus teachings and lost...any ideas to help towards that or should tarmogoyf be enough to give me the edge?
thedarkness

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this deck was built properly, teachings based control should be a walk in the park. I know it used to be, and not much has changed. >.>
zero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 mystic snakes are too much, pleave 4 mana open many crucial turns isnt really the best for ur deck, maybe 2 are ok.

ohran vioer is nice but call of the herd is better card overall, is always 2x1 , its better against agro overall (despite tarmogoyfs) and if u dont get viper on turn 2 call of the herd is just better bc the control player can counter/kill the viper so easy.

rune snag is a viable option in ur deck too.

urzas factory stinks in this deck, and maybe psionic blast will be better than mouth of ronom

phyrexian ironfoot will be a nice card in ur sb if u have snow lands
Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
4 mystic snakes are too much, pleave 4 mana open many crucial turns isnt really the best for ur deck, maybe 2 are ok.

ohran vioer is nice but call of the herd is better card overall, is always 2x1 , its better against agro overall (despite tarmogoyfs) and if u dont get viper on turn 2 call of the herd is just better bc the control player can counter/kill the viper so easy.

rune snag is a viable option in ur deck too.

urzas factory stinks in this deck, and maybe psionic blast will be better than mouth of ronom

phyrexian ironfoot will be a nice card in ur sb if u have snow lands
Through playtesting i did decide call of herd in the end. sanke is cool..but the card advantage doesnt happen consistently enough and i find him to be to easily taken out of the game.

i went down to 2 ronom and realized urza was bad leaving me 2 room open for what now is ovvupied by 2 deserts to help with aggro and help goyf vs goyf block.

I'm also realizing i dont get those mystic snakes in play as much as liked...so i may go down to 2...as well the stonewood is still a toss up whether i like it...

so for main board...what would you fill these 4 space up with...

Also with the SB...is utopia vow the best option?
Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plaxmanta and a few psionic blasts squeezed in...i dropped stone wood...amazing card at times...but not most the time. Plax gives me more legs to attach to that sexy hammer and does what the snakes wind up doing most the time any way...saving my creatures from burn or tendrils.
Lackeos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be building around Scryb and Force. Spectral Force is "Moat" in the aggro match-up.

Also, why would you play Bottle Gnomes over Spike Feeder?
Fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackeos wrote:
I think you should be building around Scryb and Force. Spectral Force is "Moat" in the aggro match-up.

Also, why would you play Bottle Gnomes over Spike Feeder?

"moat"? not sure what that means...

I might try the scryb force route later on. we'll see.

Spike feeder versus gnomes...its a damn tough call for me. I chose gnomes for a few reasons:

- Higher toughness, A more important aspect against burn, It takes more than a shock to kill.

- Artifact, can feed tarmogoyf.

- I can cast with any mana, I don't have to worry about not getting GG
Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm finding that i absolutely hate tarmogoyf in this build...he really useless unless im fighting another tarmogoyf deck to feed him.

I'm debating maybe have ohran viper AND call of the her... giving me 12 really nice 3 drop beaters.

ALSO...i'm getting the idea that bridge is not a concern as the thing is really dead...so tormods can go and maybe now i can have 4 bottls gnomes and 4 spike feeders in SB to absolutely hose GR aggro
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goyf is going to be a 2/3 for 1G.. i dont care who you are, thats still good! and with CoTH it is a 3/4 for 1G... whats not to like.... and you got mouth of ronom's against teachings.dec so goyf becomes a 4/5.. think about it
Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
goyf is going to be a 2/3 for 1G.. i dont care who you are, thats still good! and with CoTH it is a 3/4 for 1G... whats not to like.... and you got mouth of ronom's against teachings.dec so goyf becomes a 4/5.. think about it
He's sometimes only a 0/1 ...and will stay that for awhile.

He doesnt do well early game in this deck and is horrible in mirror match. however snake can be a house in its self, sure 1 dmg...but it trades and gives card advantage

the real star of the deck is troll anyway...with a hammer that thing pwns.
MH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played GU Aggro Control with Scryb and Force for 2 weeks by now and I have some information about card choices.

1.Ohran Viper is a house for me. It can be played Turn 2 in this deck, trades with any creature and is simply game vs control if not answered quickly.

2.Mystic Snake is a good card but it is too mana intense. You just can't afford to hold back 4 Mana most of the time because you want to play threats.

3.Tarmogoyf sucks in this deck because you don't want to play many 2 drops in this deck with 8 mana accellerators.

4.I don't think you can afford to run Desert in this deck as it does almost nothing and you play 2 color in an aggro deck which means that you cannot afford to be screwed in the early game.

5.Scryb and Force is great vs any aggro Deck and gives the deck speed.

Here is the list I would play:

atures: 27
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Scryb Ranger
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Ohran Viper
4 Spectral Force
3 Plaxmanta

Spells: 11
4 Remand
4 Delay
3 Moldervine Cloak

Lands: 22
8 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Island
2 Pendelhaven

Sideboard: 15
3 Tormod’s Crypt
4 Psionic Blast
4 Giant Solifuge
3 Krosan Grip
1 Plaxmanta

It is more geared to beat aggro but I can handle control as well even more with postboard Solifuge and Blast. Maybe I will think about voidslime which is nice but most of the time just a Cancel which I won't play.
Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MH wrote:
I played GU Aggro Control with Scryb and Force for 2 weeks by now and I have some information about card choices.

1.Ohran Viper is a house for me. It can be played Turn 2 in this deck, trades with any creature and is simply game vs control if not answered quickly.

2.Mystic Snake is a good card but it is too mana intense. You just can't afford to hold back 4 Mana most of the time because you want to play threats.

3.Tarmogoyf sucks in this deck because you don't want to play many 2 drops in this deck with 8 mana accellerators.

4.I don't think you can afford to run Desert in this deck as it does almost nothing and you play 2 color in an aggro deck which means that you cannot afford to be screwed in the early game.

5.Scryb and Force is great vs any aggro Deck and gives the deck speed.

Here is the list I would play:

atures: 27
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Scryb Ranger
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Ohran Viper
4 Spectral Force
3 Plaxmanta

Spells: 11
4 Remand
4 Delay
3 Moldervine Cloak

Lands: 22
8 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Island
2 Pendelhaven

Sideboard: 15
3 Tormod’s Crypt
4 Psionic Blast
4 Giant Solifuge
3 Krosan Grip
1 Plaxmanta

It is more geared to beat aggro but I can handle control as well even more with postboard Solifuge and Blast. Maybe I will think about voidslime which is nice but most of the time just a Cancel which I won't play.
i have an intense dislike for delay...and i actually really love voidslime, so in personal preference for a hard counter (with the occasional game saving stifle effect) i vote for voidslime > delay in this deck. Rune snag however is an option.

I really also prefer loxodon hammer over cloak...yeah clock can be a quicker and more reliable to attach but lox can really wreck anyone if it gets online even for one turn. the trample aspect can get around life gain and token defenses and that boost in life gain just demolishes aggro.

Also when a creature gets killed...your not down 2 cards.

but over all i really like your list more than mine. lil worried how it survives a wog though...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2