Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regionals - Which deck?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
mikeg542

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Regionals - Which deck? Reply with quote

So anyway, regionals are coming up and I thought it'd be a good diea to ask the opinion of you's all on which deck I should run.

The meta as I know it(decks I -know- will be there) is:
Dralnu
Gruul
Izzetron and MAYBE UG tron
UWG(blink) control
Dredge

Be that as it may, I have been told many times that regionals has a very aggro meta in this area, and with that as it is, would it be better to have an anti aggro, or think other people will meta and go with anti anti aggro?

I have a choice of:
UR Tron
WUR angelfire(no ld)
WUR angelfire(/w boom/bust etc)
WUR blinkriders
GR jank gruul
UG jank scryb and force
UGw blink morph (not many duals in this colour)

Well, suggestions would be much appreciated!
Ching

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Regionals - Which deck? Reply with quote

mikeg542 wrote:
So anyway, regionals are coming up and I thought it'd be a good diea to ask the opinion of you's all on which deck I should run.

The meta as I know it(decks I -know- will be there) is:
Dralnu
Gruul
Izzetron and MAYBE UG tron
UWG(blink) control
Dredge

Be that as it may, I have been told many times that regionals has a very aggro meta in this area, and with that as it is, would it be better to have an anti aggro, or think other people will meta and go with anti anti aggro?

I have a choice of:
UR Tron
WUR angelfire(no ld)
WUR angelfire(/w boom/bust etc)
WUR blinkriders
GR jank gruul
UG jank scryb and force
UGw blink morph (not many duals in this colour)

Well, suggestions would be much appreciated!

angelfire
kby

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to play SnF b/c of its matchups vs aggro and such. Only problems i have were vs DS which i put worship in, and it fixed it.... its still 2 early to decide.. as im testing alot of decks.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu has a better matchup against agro than people give it credit for. That's what I'm running at regionals, because I'm banking on the best players running anti-agro. Jumping on the anti-anti-agro bandwagon seems like a good call to me.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't expect much dragonstorm, Angelfire is a great deck with solid games against Gruul and Dralnu, and I'd say Izzetron as well. If you expect d-storm, and as sb tech against aggro, I'd recommend martyr of sands. I talked more about my version here: http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6787

One of my favorite things about this deck is the way the card draw is, it takes really good mulligans and digs deep fast so you get the cards you need, and they're all powerful. D-storm is just really tough.
mikeg542

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So right now(from what I have) is:

3 x Steam vents
1 x Hallowed fountain
4 x Shivan reef
1 x Nimbus maze
1 x Boros garrison
1 x Azorius chancery
1 x Izzet boilerworks
2 x gemstone mine
7 x plains
1 x Island
1 x mountain

4 x court hussar
4 x Lightning angel
2 x Bogarden hellkite

4 x Lightning helix
4 x Remand
4 x Wrath of god
4 x Compulsive research
3 x Azorius signet
1 x Izzet signet
1 x boros signet
1 x sacred mesa
2 x faiths fetters
3 x Demonfire
(I may change 1 nimbus maze to island(anti blood moon))
Note, mesa is good against dredge, and can occasionally win games vs dralnu etc.

SB
3 x martyr of Sands(I like this idea)
3 x COP:red
4 x Riptide pilferer
3 x Detrivore
2 x tormod's crypt

Seem good?
Ching

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might play dstorm. ive played it for a few months now and im just too used to it Very Happy
mikeg542

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly enough, my friends has about a 65/35 win % against D-storm with S&F (the version I posted in the S&F thread). Maybe he's just a luck sac?
st4x

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y do u play 7 plains... ur mana base seems rly bad and gemstone sucks also
mikeg542

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because I don't have white based duals, obv. (and it's tech vs bloodmoon). I was thinking that with the 3 bouncelands the mines would be alot better, though if you think im wrong, then sure, more basic lands.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemstone mine is too dangerous in this deck.

You don't need basic mountains - what are they saving you against, blood moon? lol. Even against ghost quarter, you have signets.

Nimbus is really good in this deck, better than adarkar wastes, but if you have wastes, they can help adjust your mana base as you need to accommodate for duals you don't have.

Whatever duals you are lacking, you can fix it with your signet choices.

Most important is that you have blue and white online by turns 2-3, you don't need red until later.

I'm pretty happy with my mana base right now. Comparing mine to yours, I'd adjust yours like this seeing what rare duals you have:

3 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
4 Shivan Reef
1 Nimbus Maze
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Boros Garrison
1 Izzet Boilerworks
5 Plains
5 Island

Your last land should be 1 Urza's Factory - it can really come in handy.

I'd cut one demonfire for a sixth signet. Since you are so heavy on UR duals, I'd make all the signets with white, and probably play 4 Boros Signet, 2 Azorius Signet (with 14 blue land sources that can come online quickly, you're fine there).

I hope this helps!

The sideboard is good, I like CoP:Red, though I am scared to take Disenchants /Return to Dusts (debating) out of my board.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1