Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Questions...

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
Keifru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Random Questions... Reply with quote

Ok, I was wondering, What can I trickbind? Can I trickbind any of the 10 "guild" keywords? (like, can I 'bind a hellbent demonfire, therefore letting me counter it?)

I'm still confuddled on morph, can I inresponse kill it; Can he in response morph to do X?

Can I tap creatures that just came into play for convoke, or for another card? (Eg, Glare of Subdual)

...and can I punch someone if they unmorph a fortune theif when I'm out of creature removal? (I don't want to get a fine or something...)

>.>;;
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can trickbind any guild-keywords as long as they're either activated or triggered.

activated abilities read like [cost]:[effect] - Foresee for examples

triggered abilities have "When, Whenever, At" in their text - Graft for example.

Hellbent however is a static ability. It doesnt have [cost]:[effect] nor one of they keywords for triggered abilities. You cannot coutner Hellbent.
--------

players can morph up creatures at any time when they can pay the cost. Note that the spell/ability that targeted them will still target them.

-------
As long as the cost you tap them for does not include the magic-tap symbol, you can do that
---

there are several ways to win the game:
your opponent can't draw when he's required to
your opponent dies to a one-shot effect (Pacts, Phage)
You win with a one-shot effect (Barren Glory)
Your opponent loses to 10 Poison Counters.
KeySam

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am no judge but i guess i can answer all your questions.

1. you can trickbind only activated or triggered abilties, ok whats activated? a abilitiy with tap or 1: ... in it(you cant trickbind mana abilities). Triggered abilities are abilities with when, as... meaning no no hellbent...

2. Ok morph doesnt use the stack so you cant response to the unmorph(not 100% sure but 95%), when its getting unmorphed you can respond to an abiltiy going on the stack or after he passes priority to you.

2. You can tap creatures for convoke, glare... you just have to look that the creature doesnt gain the ability meaning, you cant tap a sliver came into play for gemhide sliver, cause the sliver itself would have the ability. So if an other card says tap a creature... you can, you cant if its got the ability by itself.

3. I dont get the last question, fortune thief just says damage reducing your life below 1 reduces it to 1 instead. so you can still get him to 1 and then if you have some lifelose abilities he still dies. I hope i could help.

KeySam
TheDarkMan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellbent is not an ability in itself, so generally you can't counter it (you cannot trickbind the hellbent part of the demonfire). Some instances of the ability, however, are activated or triggered. Activated abilities always have a colon, between a cost and an effect, like [cost]:[effect]. Triggered abilities start with "When" or "Whenever". Some keywords, like Graft (the counter moving part), are triggered abilities.

You cannot respond to morph. It does not use the stack. That is, if your opponent wants to unmorph a creature, he does so, and you cannot prevent it (as long as he can pay). You can kill it after it has turned face up, though.

The rule on summoning sickness is that you can't play an ability that uses the T symbol in the cost unless you've had that creature since the start of your turn. (Gemhide Sliver, for example.) If something uses the word "Tap" but not the symbol, then you can tap creatures you just played. This includes Convoke, Glare of Subdual. This means, for example, if Ancestor's Prophet is your fifth Cleric, then you can tap him the turn you play him.

And no punching.
Keifru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fortune theif was just a silly question. =P

Ok, here are two more.

If I, say, sacrifice a mindlash to it's ability, they inresponce shock it, can I inresponce sacrifice it to Darkheart sliver's ability?

Can someone describe priority? Despite playing for my pitiful amount of time (like 6 months) I still don't really grasp what priority means. Can I mindlash-sliver-ability them right when they go into their mainphase I, or does priority say they get the chance to do things first?

(Slivers are the first things that come to mind as examples for me right now xD)
kcaccidental

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because sacrificing Mindlash Sliver is part of the cost, rather than the effect, they can't respond by Shocking the sliver. It's already in the graveyard by the time the ability (each player discards a card) goes on the stack and they get a chance to respond.

Priority is actually very simple. Priority always moves in APNAP (Active Player, Non-Active Player) order, which means that the player who's turn it currently is will get priority first. The next player gets priority when the player with priority 'passes' it to him or her (e.g. they have nothing else they want to do). Here's a brief outline of who gets priority and when:

The active player will get priority at the beginning of each step (except the untap and cleanup steps) after any and all triggered effects have been put on the stack.

If the top object on the stack is about to resolve, the active player gets priority, and if they have no actions, priority is passed to the non-active player. (This is technically what happens when people respond to or counter spells.) Once priority has been passed by all players in a row, the top object on the stack resolves and the process is repeated for any other objects.

It sounds complex, but in reality nobody goes 'Top object on the stack resolves, I pass priority as active player, any responses?' Mostly people just lay the card on the table and wait for a few seconds until the opponent says 'Sure' or 'Remand that, sir' or something similar. Priority is one of those things that make the game function properly but that you don't have to announce all the time, like state-based effects.
Keifru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so if sacrificing is a part of the cost, they can't inresponce it...well..the ability part.

so on priority, it alternates? Like thye play something, then I play something? Or do they play everythikng they wanna play at that moment (like if they feel like playing.... 3 nessian couriers) and hten I get to respond?
KeySam

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after when you play any spell you first pass priority(wanna counter, draw ... before i do this?) then if the spell resolved priority bounces back to the active player.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The player who just played something gets priority again. So you can respond to your own spells or abilities first. If you pass priority, the other player gets priority. If he too passes, the top item of the stack resolves, since both players passed.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1