Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Meta Help

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Which deck is the optimal choice?
WB RACK
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
BOROS
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Looking for Meta Help Reply with quote

Ok well i made T8 of city champs and the decks that the other 7 have been playing (most often/most frequently) and i will think they will play are as follows:

1-2 Izzetron (1 with Aeon 1 with Tidings)
1 Pickles(4 willbender, 3 tefri, Warhammer)
1 Scryb n Force (normal pre PC build)
1 W/x Sacred Mesa Cntrl (story circle MD)
2 Unknown Decks

So this is the suspected meta reminder it is PRE FS T2

I have 2 decks built which i could bring (noting i brought some variant of boros to every T2 city champ qualifyer)

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
4 [9E] Battlefield Forge
2 [UNH] Plains
3 [UNH] Mountain
2 [WL] Gemstone Mine
1 [RAV] Boros Garrison
2 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
3 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair

// Creatures
4 [GP] Giant Solifuge
4 [PLC] Calciderm
4 [PLC] Stonecloaker
4 [B] Savannah Lions
4 [PLC] Keldon Marauders
3 [CS] Jotun Grunt

// Spells
4 [RAV] Char
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt
4 [9E] Volcanic Hammer
4 [RAV] Lightning Helix

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [CS] Jotun Grunt
SB: 2 [DIS] Demonfire
SB: 3 [TSB] Honorable Passage
SB: 1 [DIS] Seal of Fire
SB: 4 [CS] Ronom Unicorn
SB: 4 [CS] Cryoclasm

As u can see the boros deck has been adjusted to beat the meta of sulfur and deserts.

Or a WB disc rack that does well against a Cntrl heavy meta game

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
4 [9E] Caves of Koilos
9 [TSP] Swamp (1)
4 [GP] Godless Shrine
1 [8E] Plains (2)

// Creatures
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
2 [9E] Mindslicer
4 [9E] Ravenous Rats
4 [CS] Jotun Grunt

// Spells
3 [RAV] Last Gasp
4 [TSB] The Rack
4 [TSP] Smallpox
4 [GP] Cry of Contrition
3 [GP] Mortify
2 [TSB] Funeral Charm
4 [TSB] Stupor

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [9E] Circle of Protection: Red
SB: 3 [DIS] Delirium Skeins
SB: 2 [TSB] Disenchant
SB: 2 [RAV] Nightmare Void
SB: 2 [PLC] Damnation
SB: 3 [PLC] Extirpate

remember i can change either deck slightly b/c i got over a week but thats about thnx i would like ur input plz..... was thinking of fitting the ghost quarters into the BW discard aswell (prolly just -1 cave, -1 swamp)
PsyK

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the rack deck, but personally i always think boros is shit.
toguppy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boros will just win half of the time due to burn... discard will only delay the opponent and hopefully win due to them not finding an answer. the pickles deck would probably pwn the discard deck and the tron decks can just win off of tron turn 4hellkite or burst lockdown.

id personally go with the boros, take out 4ronoms,1seal, 1 cryoclasm, 1 passagesb, add 4sulfur elemental and 3blood moon sb swapping land base slightly to help with the requirement of ww when u bring it in. against a few decks the blood moon will just win you the game(quite often uw controll will only have a few(1 or 2) basic plains on the table) you are running 2 colours both of wich the story circles need to deal with. sulfur handles the mesa much better and can also randomly win vs project x.
the discard deck as far as i can tell would have tourble vs pickles, and scryb & force and may or maynot do well vs tron due to their draw and counter and big beaters.
of course would do well vs w/x story circle.dec unless they resolved story circle and u didnt draw a mortify.
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toguppy wrote:
boros will just win half of the time due to burn... discard will only delay the opponent and hopefully win due to them not finding an answer. the pickles deck would probably pwn the discard deck and the tron decks can just win off of tron turn 4hellkite or burst lockdown.

id personally go with the boros, take out 4ronoms,1seal, 1 cryoclasm, 1 passagesb, add 4sulfur elemental and 3blood moon sb swapping land base slightly to help with the requirement of ww when u bring it in. against a few decks the blood moon will just win you the game(quite often uw controll will only have a few(1 or 2) basic plains on the table) you are running 2 colours both of wich the story circles need to deal with. sulfur handles the mesa much better and can also randomly win vs project x.
the discard deck as far as i can tell would have tourble vs pickles, and scryb & force and may or maynot do well vs tron due to their draw and counter and big beaters.
of course would do well vs w/x story circle.dec unless they resolved story circle and u didnt draw a mortify.

Thanx for the great advice toguppy about the BM in SB i just got 1 question about the -4 Ronom is that b/c it only really pretains to the the W/x cntrl deck and My plans is just to out race/avoid it?

Also is only 8 x 1 drops @ lions and rift
and only 12 x 2 drops @ hammer, helix, maurader to little
and is 8 x 4cc spells too many?
st4x

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play gruul or boros with slivers
SaTiVa
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st4x wrote:
play gruul or boros with slivers

Cant find cards for grull in a week ... and i fin boros with slivers to be weak vs izzetron due to a sulfur coming in killing my lion EOT then following turn electorlyze 2 slives to finish them off.....

to the guy saying what THE META is he doesnt live near me so read the post bro it is for an IRL tourney

but needless to say i do agree the Disc i think will do good in the cntrl heave meta
toguppy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to tell you this engrish but im very much a male Wink
21 yr old male.... that is just a pic of my GF which i thought appropriate Razz ,

also the main problem with discard is its inability to handle a threat on the board. most of the deck is devoted to discard meaning that mga with scryb sprite's etc to discard forests too will generally pwn you.
most of the meta stated doesnt run ANY discard hate in sb because... all they need is one threat to stick such as mesa, or hellkite, or spectral force, or aeon chronicler or willbender or warhammer on a stick to win... the deck doesnt run a stable enough board to handle both sides.. its either discard OR creture removal.
if i were to do anything to the discard deck, i would be adding in fetters in sb.

and yes the ronom's are only good vs w/x deck meaning that they arnt worth a 4 of especially when there is 2x tron decks there that will almost give up to a blood moon. also pickles wont be able to counter sulfur, the pickles deck really depends on if they are running a blue black build or a running a blue green build. either way running 4x cryclasms is not needed EVER as you really want a creature on the board early.
the main question is : is future sight legal? if not then id be changing the stone cloakers for scorched rusalka's to curve out nicely. the amount of 4 drops is fine because of the amount of instant burn you have to cast before then.
Vedrfolner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for BW Rack because I have yet to win against it, regardless of the deck I am playing myself. This is not true of any of the other "tier 1" decks, including Boros. It seems like a very strong deck against any type of opposition. When you discard the hand of a aggro player, he loses steam. When you discard the hand of a control player, he does not gain control. When you discard the hand of a combo player, he does not go off. The aggro matchup is the hardest for BW rack: they drop fast creatures and have burn in hand. You discard the burn, but if you are too low on life before you drop the Grunt (which is an awesome blocker), or somehow clears the board, then their topdecking clock can still outrace The Rack clock (and if you don't have The Rack in play at this point, the odds are against you). As you say, against Boros it is a race. You must draw well to rape Gruul enough to get a good clock in play.

I dont know if your decklist is optimal, though. You should find that out before your tournament.
DESTRUCTOR

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that both decks are fine but i like more BW rack because it's betther against control and combo, and in main have some good cards against aggro but post-SB you have so many cards to beat them.anr boros is really good maybe have not bad matchups but also cant say it has many good matchups, they are kind of luckbased

Go with the BW rack, i like your decklist maybe the Sb could be like:
3 disenchant (Sacred mesa, lotus bloom)
4 honorable passage (gruul, D-storm, boros)
3 extirpate (combo, control, burn)
2 cruel edict (MGA and control)
3 cop:red (same has honorable passage)

PD: maybe adding 1 more last gasp and cutting 1 smallpox...only if you expect some aggro..if not maybe could be the 3º funeral charm B/C almost every control use flagstones
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1