Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Events at Virginia Tech

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic

Should Schoold World Wide Contain Better Security Systems?
Yes
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
No
56%
 56%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 30

Bigshow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Events at Virginia Tech Reply with quote

Now for those of you who don't know, Monday April 16th, there was a mass shooting were 32 people were killed, in a very violent shooting. People didn't know who did it, whether it was a student or not, nothing. This morning, on This Morning Live, the journalists went there to do a report. We Find out that it was an Asian Male, who was a student.

The Student, who's name is disclosed because the school isn't sure its him or not, had an argument with his girlfriend, and the R.A came to straighten things out. The Asian Male, then took out 2 hand guns, one being a 9mm semi automatic, and shot both the R.A and Girlfriend. The school informed the students that there was a shooting, but didn't release the students, but they thought it was a minor thing, and asked that if anyone had any information to contact the school and police ASAP. About two hours later the Asian Male, went to one of the buildings of the university and killed 30 other students, along with himself.

When authorities tried to confirm who he was. But due to shooting himself in the head, it left his face disfigured, and he contained no trace of I.D, and no one knew who he was.

One thing also that disturbs me is, when asked about the killer, all the students said that he was silent, and showed no emotion what so ever...

Now, I would like to say that a lesson should be learned that all colleges world wide should in fact have a better security system. This guy purchased the 9mm last Friday the other gun wasn't talked much about, all we know where both serial numbers where obliterated so it couldn't be tracked. Back to the security system, the French college about 5 min from my house has at each entrance a security guard waiting at the door, along with a metal detector you have to pass by, sadly there is no dorm, so I can say that there are security checks there either. But another event similar to Virgina Tech was here in Montreal, where a "goth" kid went with a shotgun, and shot a lot of people at the College in out downtown area, he went inside the school and shot people at random, but there was only one death.

talk/discuss
Thorns

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next thing that's going to happen is that authorities will find out he listened to metal and will go "AH! There's the reason, he listened to metal!" Put all the blame on the music! If the police did their job correctly, such events wouldn't happen. Our society has some major flaws, and lack of support is one of them.
The girl who died at the Dawson shooting was an old girlfriend's sister Sad She lived just down the street from my place. It was horrible for her (my friend), it was a family who no one could say bad of, and she was always so joyous. It was heartbreaking going to the funeral.
kikimikejiki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently its my friends cousin(the girl who died at dawson) i only kno that because there was a pic in her agenda and im like who is this shes hot and my friends like it smy cousin im like can i meet her shes like shes dead im like shit what happaened shes like dawson.. im like woaaaa i just made a fool of myself 4 times in a minute
Kaesh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bla bla bla liberty in danger bla bla bla fascism bla bla bla franklin quote bla bla bla bla
Malhavoc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better security system can be useful, but they aren't the solution.. they could prevent violence strictly from the inside of the building, but if someone wants to shot at you, he can just wait you outside of it. Or in the street, or at your home.

Sure, better security will improve things, but does not solve the problem at its roots. Said roots are however very hard to extirpate.. many say that weapons shouldn't be so easily fetchable (and I DEFINITELY think so), but still weapons can be found anyway, and violence doesn't stop to guns and knives either..

Things should be done to decrease the desire for violence, starting from what really generates it. This has many similarities with terrorism: it's useless to just kill Osama and such, many others will come after them. You have to solve the problem at its roots. Violence finds its breading pit in people with problems (mainly social and cash problems); solve those and both violence and terrorism will probably decrease to almost nothing.

Regarding ways to do that.. hell, that's not easy at all, and definitely that's not something you do in a couple of months, but in decades.. on the other hands, what we have now here is the result of decades of bad approaches. Can we do something about this? Maybe yes, but it will take a LOT of time. Will someone really do something USEFUL about this? Alas, I fear not.
Laplie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has nothing to do with school security. If someone wants to go on a rampage, nothing much can stop them.

Many colleges in the US have campuses, meaning a collection of buildings as well as fields, the roads and sidewalks between the buildings, grassy congregation areas, student lounges, etc. If you had metal detectors, it still wouldn't stop someone from just going on a rampage outside. (didn't someone do this with a sniper rifle from a bell tower?)

Also, many campuses are open 24 hours a day. If you have metal detectors, it means you have to have people to watch them 24hrs/day.

For most students, you don't want where you live, learn, and work to be a police state.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours afterwards, before identifying the death count or the killer, Jack Thompson was on FOX blaming video games. Sad
Weazle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a talking point for 3 weeks to a month. Max. It sucks for those involved. It sucks more that the media whores on this stuff...
yavin1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kid who graduated from our school died in the virginia tech shooting. It was like a week after his birthday.

RIP....
ANEURYSM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media made the Columbine kids into legends and then were surprised that people emulated them. But they are quick to blame music and video games. Thats BS if you ask me.

Condolences to all the victims who lost life and limb.
nopenopenope

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe stop talking about it on tv.... All killer do this because they wanna be popular or whatever
ant900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironicus wrote:
Maybe stop talking about it on tv.... All killer do this because they wanna be popular or whatever
what are you talking about? GTA caused this!
HUNGTACTICS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the media disgusts me
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not any school security systems.

The problem is that everyone can buy guns in the US. In germany, only very few approved people may buy guns and there are well,
not any problems in schools/university.

The solution for that problem is not giving anyone guns to protect themselves. The solution is to not allow weapons at all :/
kokusho6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi are you implying that we as Americans shouldnt have the right to bear arms?

if we didnt have the right to bear arms any nation could and would invade us and we wouldnt be able to over throw our government if they got to powerful
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3