Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UW Aggro

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Revik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: UW Aggro Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
7 [UNH] Island
8 [UNH] Plains
3 [DIS] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
4 [DIS] Azorius Guildmage
4 [TSP] Looter il-Kor
3 [PC] Calciderm
4 [TSB] Soltari Priest
4 [TSP] Knight of the Holy Nimbus
4 [9E] Savannah Lions

// Spells
3 [TSP] Temporal Isolation
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [RAV] Telling Time
4 [9E] Mana Leak

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [9E] Wrath of God
SB: 3 [TSP] Trickbind
SB: 2 [RAV] Faith's Fetters
SB: 3 [TSB] Disenchant
SB: 3 [9E] Bottle Gnomes

I would like to work on the sideboard a bit to deal better with combo, although trickbind is a huge help. Mostly looking for helpful suggestions on what you'd add and why, and what you'd drop and why, etc. The basics, y'know?
C-Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temporal isolation is not a good card in a deck that features both looter ill-kor and soltari priest
Revik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken. Any suggestions over it? I'm thinking either Drifter Il-Dal or moving fetters to mainboard and sb'ding Teferi. Thoughts?
C-Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess you could play pacifism over it
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-4 Telling Time
+4 Glorius Anthem

-3 Temporal Isolation, -1 Mana Leak
+4 Psionic Blast
Revik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
7 [UNH] Island
8 [UNH] Plains
3 [DIS] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
3 [DIS] Azorius Guildmage
4 [TSP] Looter il-Kor
4 [PC] Calciderm
4 [TSB] Soltari Priest
4 [TSP] Knight of the Holy Nimbus
4 [9E] Savannah Lions
3 [TSP] Serra Avenger

// Spells
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [RAV] Telling Time
4 [9E] Mana Leak

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [9E] Wrath of God
SB: 3 [TSP] Trickbind
SB: 3 [TSB] Disenchant
SB: 3 [9E] Bottle Gnomes
SB: 3 [9E] Circle of Protection: Red

Is psionic blast really necessary? And what is everybody's problem with telling time? Well, i might replace it for blast, for speed at the very least. Creature-only damage bases arent reliable all the time.
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling Time isn't that good for your deck. It doesn't give you CA, it only gives you card selection. Card selection which takes time and mana to implement, and you are playing an aggro deck so you want to win as fast as possible.

Psionic Blast doubles as creature removal and reach to finish off an opponent.
Youngbull1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I would suggest you add 4 Flagstones of Trokair instaid of 4 plains as you can destroy it with ghost quarter to get two basic lands

And you might want to playtest this idea but maybe add ovinize that makes youre calciderm stay forever (play it as a response to removing the last counter) but the calciderm will probobly stay long enough anyways so this is just a neat trick. Very Happy

maybe you should change the kinght of the holy Nimbus and savannah lions for dust elemental and stormfront rider wich both saves your vanishing guys and are freakishly good cards, and then you might be interested in adding more vanishing...
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Youngbull1 wrote:
I would suggest you add 4 Flagstones of Trokair instaid of 4 plains as you can destroy it with ghost quarter to get two basic lands

And you might want to playtest this idea but maybe add ovinize that makes youre calciderm stay forever (play it as a response to removing the last counter) but the calciderm will probobly stay long enough anyways so this is just a neat trick. Very Happy

maybe you should change the kinght of the holy Nimbus and savannah lions for dust elemental and stormfront rider wich both saves your vanishing guys and are freakishly good cards, and then you might be interested in adding more vanishing...

I suggest that you not listen to anything this guy said. Anyone who has ever seen a white weenie deck (which you are playing, to be honest) would agree with me. The reasons are too numerous to mention.
Youngbull1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the dust elemental stuff was a bit farfetched but I think the flagstones of troikar thing was worth a shot...
boomwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put at least 1 flagstone...at 1 it makes no difference unless someone uses LD on you, and then its purely better then plains...

telling time is not helpful in THIS deck...while i agree control would love it-its useless here, a creature is better off...

personally i don't like psi-blast...and if you play red (but you don't...) i will play shock over char, as they both net same life advantage...i much rather get a good creature over the psi blast...

optional creatures:
Azorius First-Wing (no damn enchantment-shutdown...)
Hunted Phantasm (risky, but can end games...i dislike...)
Icatian Javelineers (not much of a creature but might get handy...)
Benalish Cavalry (hard to block this dude...)
Jotun Grunt (had his problems in the need of growing graveyards...maybe SB for graveyard decks...)
Ronom Unicorn (gives you the might-be-needed enchantment removal with a creature attached...)
Amrou Seekers (a bit hard to block...)
Jotun Owl Keeper (very hard maneuver but he is a great creature...)

have fun choosing...there a probably a few more i missed...
Youngbull1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I personally dont think that flagstone of troikar is any good at only one because then you cant get the thing to go off.. the moment two of them come into play you can search for two plains (becuase they are legendary) and why not get up two doublelands (they are plain islands) but ofcourse you can use other meens to get it into the graveyard...
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngbull1 wrote:
well I personally dont think that flagstone of troikar is any good at only one because then you cant get the thing to go off.. the moment two of them come into play you can search for two plains (becuase they are legendary) and why not get up two doublelands (they are plain islands) but ofcourse you can use other meens to get it into the graveyard...

You're an idiot. There's absolutely no point in not playing at LEAST 1 if you have Plains in your deck. There are of course reasons to play more (OBVIOUSLY) but there is no reason not to use 1. If you can't see that than.... you suck.

Back to the deck. I really like Sky Hussar in the U/W aggro. Sure, it takes away some speed when you forecast it, but at the same time, it's always solid when an aggro deck has permanent uncounterable card drawing. My opinion is that U/W aggro does NOT have the speed to quickly overwhelm a control deck, so to bury them in card advantage is key.

With this strategy, I would add Grand Arbitor Agustus to slow down control, and make it easier to empty your growing hand size (Due to the Hussar's). This also gives access to Mana Leak's, Remands and/or Rune Snags at the cost of a Spell Snare.

Now your Hussar's are 1WU for a 4/3 flyer. When you get enough creatures on board, after drawing like a champ, cast the Hussar, swing for a shitload, and back that ass up with a couple of U cc "Hard" counters. Solid shit.

Also, cut the Ghost Quarters. It will just muck up your 2nd turn mana base, crushing the dreams of battle-hungry Guildmages and Knights of Holy Nimbi. Ghost Quarter is really a control card used to mess around with Tron and Vitu-Ghazi. These are not problem cards for this deck. Tron is not played widely enough to warrant maindeck space that will mana screw you.

Calciderm is too expensive as well. Against Aggro it's too slow, the untargetability is useless cause aggro can't deal with a 5/5 anyways, and against control you shouldn't use cards that kill themselves. Just a general rule of thumb. I say cut the Calciderms.

If you're going to use Soltari Priest, why not use Azorius Herald? It's guaranteed unblockable, and it allows you to use Temporal Isolation. It also gives 4 life to help Vs. aggro or D-storm, and it cost 1W with the Arbitor in play. In addition, it can block in a pinch. Cut the Soltari Priests.

I guess since you would now have a draw engine in the Sky Hussars, you can cut the Looters, there-by making Temporal Isolation a viable deck choice. Not that Temporal Isolation is very good, but my opinion is to cut the subpar shadow creatures and leave the "par" creature "removal", not the other way around as others have suggested.

Telling Time is weak for the reasons stated by Sonicqaz.

So, in other words, I would change about 70% of your deck. LOL Hope that helps. Razz
TofuBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:

If you're going to use Soltari Priest, why not use Azorius Herald? It's guaranteed unblockable, and it allows you to use Temporal Isolation. It also gives 4 life to help Vs. aggro or D-storm, and it cost 1W with the Arbitor in play.

Technically, it would cost UW if you want it to stay in play. Still a good idea though. But ya, consider adding GAAIV and the Herald. Both are solid cards for any UW deck.
Edit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Youngbull1 wrote:

You're an idiot. There's absolutely no point in not playing at LEAST 1 if you have Plains in your deck. There are of course reasons to play more (OBVIOUSLY) but there is no reason not to use 1. If you can't see that than.... you suck.

You know you flame people too much when you don't even bother to decipher what he said first. Pretty sure you guys are saying the same thing.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2