Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G/B control-dredge

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Notgnawy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: G/B control-dredge Reply with quote

G/B control-dredge

Lands: 23

5x Snow-covered Swamp
4x Snow-covered Forest
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Llanowar Wastes
2x Golgari Rot Farm
2x Ghost Quarter
2x Mouth of Ronom

Creatures: 9

3x Shambling Shell
3x Grave-Shell Scarab
3x Skeletal Vampire

Spells: 28

4x Golgari Signet
4x Rolling Spoil
4x Harmonize
4x Damnation
3x Putrefy
3x Smallpox
2x Nightmare Void
2x Darkblast
2x Life From the Loam

This deck was inspired by the printing of Damnation and Harmonize, two really strong effects in two colors that have ressource control and inevitability. The deck is dredge-based, so it's meant to win in the long run. It uses cards like Smallpox, Rolling Spoil, Putrefy, Darkblast, Damnation and Nightmare Void to achieve that state of topdeck, and proceeds to win with an unending stream of creatures.

Casting either Damnation or Harmonize just feels really unfair in this sort of deck. The Life from the Loams are very important in this deck, providing card advantage, mana, and repetetive use of Ghost Quarter and Mouth of Ronom.

I built this deck with some thoughts against the popular decks of the metagame in mind:

Dragonstorm: not much to say here, really draw dependant. Smallpox, Rolling Spoil and especially Nightmare Void are key here.

MGA: Rolling Spoil, Smallpox and Damnation are the stone cold nuts here.

Dralnu/Teferi control: No Teferi is going past Mouth of Ronom, so you have all the time in the world (if you get Mouth of Ronom in play and active, which is a top priority) to get repetitive uses out of Nightmare Void, Shambling Shell and Grave-Shell Scarab. It's also possible to manascrew someone with a Rolling Spoil on a bounceland.

Angelfire: kill everything they play, don't let Akroma or Sacred Mesa resolve. Just keep killing lands.

Really, this deck ressembles the Gifts-Rock deck in Extended: it's got no paticularly good matchup against anything, but it has mostly favorable matchups. The only card this deck has problem against is Sacred Mesa; No main deck answers, but there will be some in sideboard.

Really rough sideboard i put together for FNM tonight:

2x Krosan Grip
1x Sudden Death
3x Mvonvuli Acid-Moss
2x Fa'adiyah Seer
2x Persecute
2x Darkblast
2x Nightmare Void
1x Life from the Loam

There's not much aggro-hate in there, because i didn't anticipate aggro decks in that FNM. Seer is really good in this deck, it puts a card from your graveyard with dredge into your hand, and you don't have to discard anything. Some other ideas i had were Wall of Roots and Darkheart Sliver.

I would really like to fit some Crime//Punishments into the MD, but i haven't had time to find something to cut yet. Any comment, ideas or suggestions? Please don't flame this brainchild of mine Razz

Last edited by Notgnawy on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in Plague Boilers. Now you have maindeck answers to Sacred Mesa, Greater Good, infinate flyers (Project X) and it's 4 extra Damnations against Aggro. Of course, I wouldn't blow it with a skeletal vampire on your board, but I think you're smart enough to play around THAT.

Of course, with Plague Boilers in the maindeck, you would be wise to take out the Signets, perhaps replacing them with Farseek, or Into the North to get the Mouth of Ronom's against Teferi. The deck mana base is pretty smooth with only 2 colours, so Into the North is definately superior to Farseek.

Also, if you're going to have Life from the Loam main, you might as well use 4 Terramorphic Expanses to get the most out of the Loam.

I would have 4 Fediarah (spelled that wrong) Seers in the sideboard (The Planeshifted Sinbad). you can tap it to dredge a card without having to discard it, which would be solid against control. Much better than the contingent Magus of the Library. Not that Magus of the Library is bad, but in this deck it is much worse than the Seer.

I hope this helps. In fact, I'm thinking of putting this deck together now! Very Happy
boomwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gotta say-i cant understand your game strategy...
mind showing an example game with it (versus some highly played deck...)
Notgnawy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Put in Plague Boilers. Now you have maindeck answers to Sacred Mesa, Greater Good, infinate flyers (Project X) and it's 4 extra Damnations against Aggro. Of course, I wouldn't blow it with a skeletal vampire on your board, but I think you're smart enough to play around THAT.

Of course, with Plague Boilers in the maindeck, you would be wise to take out the Signets, perhaps replacing them with Farseek, or Into the North to get the Mouth of Ronom's against Teferi. The deck mana base is pretty smooth with only 2 colours, so Into the North is definately superior to Farseek.

Also, if you're going to have Life from the Loam main, you might as well use 4 Terramorphic Expanses to get the most out of the Loam.

I would have 4 Fediarah (spelled that wrong) Seers in the sideboard (The Planeshifted Sinbad). you can tap it to dredge a card without having to discard it, which would be solid against control. Much better than the contingent Magus of the Library. Not that Magus of the Library is bad, but in this deck it is much worse than the Seer.

I hope this helps. In fact, I'm thinking of putting this deck together now! Very Happy

I think Plague Boiler is way too slow to help against aggro. in this deck where there's no turn 1 mana accelerant, the Plague Boiler is not gonna come down until turn 3, and the fastest I can blow it up is turn 5, and it requires you to not do anything during turn 4 (spend 1GB, having 4-5 mana on the board). As you said, it has problems with signets. Later on when you have Plague Boiler on the board and you want to keep it, you have to babysit it once in a while, which is annoying. I think Crime//Punishment is the superior card here, which i'm still trying to fit in the deck. Confused

Into the North is a good idea Smile but i wouldn't replace signets with them. Usually i have no trouble finding the Mouth of Ronom, and when i really need it is in the end game anyways (Teferi) The sweet thing with signets is that sometimes they just feels free, for example when you have 5 lands, you play a signet and you play a 4cc spell. With Into the North though, it really feels like a ''spell'', as in you have to invest mana in it. If this deck goes more toward a snow theme, Into the North might be good.

Terramorphic Expanse is not very necessary in the deck. The Come into play tapped clause can cause problems at a crucial turn. Usually when i cast Life from the Loam, it's when i've dredged already, and i have lands in the graveyard. Worse come to worse, i can just ghost quarter my own land, and get them back via Life from the Loam.

The seers i've put 2 in the sideboard, because i think they're very very vulnerable, and you don't want to draw multiiples because they're a late game card advantage machine against control. But recently i've sided them in and played one on turn 2, and it rocked Very Happy His own ability can be sometimes random, but the dredge trigger is card advantage for sure. So you can just draw normally, and use the seer to get the dredge card back, and not losing a draw step Very Happy Maybe 3 in the sideboard is a good idea, but i think 4 is too much, especially because they die to Rolling Spoil.

Thanks for the opinion, it was great to see someone else's thinking about the deck. I'm gonna put in more testing soon with the new cards, and with the deck in general.

boomwolf wrote:
i gotta say-i cant understand your game strategy...
mind showing an example game with it (versus some highly played deck...)

I don't have an example game yet, but i'll try to come up with one in the future. Basically, against aggro, you try to survive, make your opponent use up all their ressources, either by answering threats, or taking their cards out. (Smallpox, Nightmare Void) Against Control, you again try to exhaust their ressources, but you go aggressive a lot sooner than in the aggro matchup, because they have answers, and you have threats. (but your threats are dredgeble Cool ) Against combo, though it's not very favorable pre-board, the plan is to, again, exhaust their ressorces (lands, hand) and win with a fast creature (usually a shambling shell). Hope this helps.
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you missed my point. In fact, I know you did. The Boilers would not be in for Aggro. That's what's the damnations are for. They are for wiping a control players board.

If the signets are only better cause you can use them when you play them, than they're useless. You say that they're good cause you can turn your 5 mana into 4? Confused That's silly. Get your head out of the sand and use the better card, not the card you "like" more.
(Not necessarily the "better" card, just the card better for your deck)

Given that your deck is slow and reactive, your "worst case scenario" thoughts on Terramorphic expanse are blinding you to the "broken case scenario" of using them with Life from the Loam.

Finally, upkeep the Boiler is hell on most any deck. It is difficult to play around, knowing that your opponent can wipe the board on a whim. It's not a great card, but in this deck it is brilliant.
Notgnawy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
I think you missed my point. In fact, I know you did. The Boilers would not be in for Aggro. That's what's the damnations are for. They are for wiping a control players board.

If the signets are only better cause you can use them when you play them, than they're useless. You say that they're good cause you can turn your 5 mana into 4? Confused That's silly. Get your head out of the sand and use the better card, not the card you "like" more.
(Not necessarily the "better" card, just the card better for your deck)

Given that your deck is slow and reactive, your "worst case scenario" thoughts on Terramorphic expanse are blinding you to the "broken case scenario" of using them with Life from the Loam.

Finally, upkeep the Boiler is hell on most any deck. It is difficult to play around, knowing that your opponent can wipe the board on a whim. It's not a great card, but in this deck it is brilliant.

What kind of control player would have a board worth wiping with Plague Boiler? there's nothing i can't deal with 1 card vs 1 card against a control player. And when i go against control, i'll be trying to beat them down with Shell or Scarab as soon as possible, so the Plague Boiler upkeep maintenance is mostly a nuissance.

The signets are not only better when i play them and a spell afterwards. They accelerate the same way on turn 2 as farseek/into the north, but they have a added bonus of a possible spell follow-up. The advantage of Into the North is that you can get a Mouth of Ronom in play, which i already explained in the last post being uneccesary.

The thing with terramorphic expanse is, i don't need the mana fixing, the come into play tapped can be a nuissance, and i can abuse Ghost Quarter with Life from the Loam as easily as i do with expanse.

There's probably a reason Plague Boiler didn't see much play. I really do consider Crime//Punishment a better card, what do you think?
Jacois

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're an idiot.
SpareSocks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dumb i hate you.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1