Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZOMG, PWNAGE!!! Mirari's Supply!!!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Do you think this deck might be a new Tier 1 deck in M-L?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

Spartan-420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: ZOMG, PWNAGE!!! Mirari's Supply!!! Reply with quote

Ok, here's the scoop to this brand spankin new deck... I made this deck about 3 weeks ago with 3 other friends of mine at a local FNM to pwnz all decks for the meta that we have... 2 dralnus, 1 trisketron, 3 boros, 7 mga, 2 bw control, and 1 dstorm and 17 random kids/decks... It turns out that I've won the last 2 FNM hands down, but the BW Control is my worst matchup, but I got by and whooped his @$$ both FNM's... So I leave it up to you M-Lers to decide whether or not this might be a new rising star!!!

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
// NAME: UWg

// Lands
4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
4 [9E] Urza's Tower
4 [DIS] Hallowed Fountain
3 [9E] Urza's Power Plant
3 [9E] Urza's Mine
2 [RAV] Temple Garden
2 [9E] Adarkar Wastes
2 [TSP] Island (1)

// Creatures
3 [TSP] Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

// Spells
3 [9E] Wrath of God
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [CS] Rune Snag
2 [TSB] Mirari
3 [9E] Rewind
3 [9E] Mana Leak
3 [TSP] Think Twice
2 [GP] Repeal
2 [TSP] Spell Burst
3 [DIS] Supply/Demand
4 [RAV] Compulsive Research

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [GP] Repeal
SB: 4 [RAV] Faith's Fetters
SB: 3 [9E] Ivory Mask
SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 2 [TSP] Trickbind
SB: 1 [DIS] Swift Silence
SB: 1 [TSB] Sacred Mesa

I just entered a mini and went 2-1, here's the link http://www.magic-league.com/tournament/info.php?id=31684&view=decks
I scooped game 2 to Blood Moon cuz I made the fatal mistake of playing Compulsive Research instead of holding off to counter his stuff... HAVE AT IT, and FLAME ON!!!
Via

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like worse UWtron without triskelavus and splash for green to run supply as finisher instead. And with these possible targets for Mirrari, I think that Tidings will do better in this deck. And UW tron was good deck, but its not rising star anymore.

Maybe I am wrong. You should explain the deck more, not only to post some results with it.
h0m3r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also you say things like ZOMG, PWNAGE, whooped his @$$, things of that nature.
Bigshow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h0m3r wrote:
also you say things like ZOMG, PWNAGE, whooped his @$$, things of that nature.

He would of had me if he didnt lie, that deck is a pile, no way you could win
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to abuse mirari, you need more stuff for supply/demand ->

mystic snake as target, congregation at dawn, hierarch, sss, etc
Spartan-420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are missing the point of Supply/Demand, i only use it for the Supply part, and I use Mirari to copy Supply... jeez, is it that hard to see it...
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you're going to cast Supply! With two green sources and no mana fixing it should be easy as pie to cast it every single game! And playing Teferi with 8 blue sources in the deck is a wonderful idea too![/sarcasm]
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is playing control. Not aggro or combo. So he has plenty of time to find the G needed to play it, especially with draw. He runs 4 flagstones of trokair. When you drop 2, or you and your opp both drop one, you get your green.

This is the problem with M-L. People are too easy to jump to conclusions. Noone takes the time to playtest the deck, they just start flaming it on why they think its crap. Playtest the deck, give constructive criticism, give links to lists related to the deck in topic.

Also part of this problem is from people just throwing up decklists with no playtesting from the creator to back it up and expect everyone else to do the work for them. (not saying that is the case here)

Got a deck to post on M-L? Make sure you playtest it and give us the general idea of what it is trying to accomplish, and how. Give reasons for card choices. Matchup analysis. Etc.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acid_Christ wrote:
He is playing control. Not aggro or combo. So he has plenty of time to find the G needed to play it, especially with draw. He runs 4 flagstones of trokair. When you drop 2, or you and your opp both drop one, you get your green.

This is the problem with M-L. People are too easy to jump to conclusions. Noone takes the time to playtest the deck, they just start flaming it on why they think its crap. Playtest the deck, give constructive criticism, give links to lists related to the deck in topic.

Also part of this problem is from people just throwing up decklists with no playtesting from the creator to back it up and expect everyone else to do the work for them. (not saying that is the case here)

Got a deck to post on M-L? Make sure you playtest it and give us the general idea of what it is trying to accomplish, and how. Give reasons for card choices. Matchup analysis. Etc.

What about when he's playing AGAINST agro or combo? He'll sure have tons of time to find the second Flagstones then.

Getting 2 Flagstones to get a green source menas he basically has 4 green sources in the deck rather than 2 (4 Flagstones divided by 2, though the odds are actually significantly lower). Probability-wise, that's still horrible. If you read MTG.com articles, 8 sources of one color gives you a decent chance at getting ONE per game. Odds are this deck will A: not get a green source in about 33% of games and B: will not get three blue sources to cast Teferi in about 25% of games, roughly. That's WAY too inconsistant a mana base. Not to mention the deck has no mana accel whatsoever (no Signets, even), only runs 5 maindeck cards for the agro matchup (Repeal and Wrath) and absolutely rolls over to Dstorm (which granted is not in his metagame, but is still an extremely potent deck.)

His only threats are Teferi and Supply, with no Urza's Factory and no backup win condition. A resolved Faith's Fetters on his Teferi means he either needs both of the other Teferi's or to get one of the 2-"4 green" sources in addition to Supply to have any chance of winning. He's running Mirari, Compulsive Research, Supply//Demand, and Wrath with no mana accel, all of which will probably require him to tap out in order to cast unless he gets ungodly lucky with the Urzatron (which, by the way, he's not even playing a complete set of, further lowering the chances he gets it without resolving multiple card draw spells. At least Martyrtron played Weathered Wayfarer if it did so.) Thus, the 11 2 mana counterspells he is playing will often not be enough to stem the tide.

Mirari is a waste of a turn and he's tapping 5 in order to merely SET UP for a win condition. It doesn't work well with any of the other spells except Supply and maybe Compulsive Research, and it keeps him from countering spells that turn unless he has Tron. It should not be played in the deck. Supply will generate a decent amount of tokens without it anyway.

Regardless, how is Supply a better win condition than Triskelavus? It is a completely rational belief that screwing up your mana base in order to support an INFERIOR win condition is idiotic. Triskelavus can be recurred with Academy Ruins if it dies to Wrath and doesn't require any colored mana.

If you're going to complain about "all M-L players flame w/o testing," at least do so on a decklist that has a chance to be viable. This deck's mana base and card choices are all suboptimal.

If you want constructive criticism, here it is: Play Azoritron. This deck's card choices are all spinoffs of a hybrid between that and Dralnu du Louvre, and the green splash for Supply/Demand makes it worse, as does Mirari. Originality is great, but this isn't originalty, this is taking a deck and just making the card choices and the mana base worse.

Acid_Christ, feel free to waste your time playtesting the deck and coming to the exact same conclusions I did.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you want constructive criticism, here it is: Play Azoritron. This deck's card choices are all spinoffs of a hybrid between that and Dralnu du Louvre, and the green splash for Supply/Demand makes it worse, as does Mirari. Originality is great, but this isn't originalty, this is taking a deck and just making the card choices and the mana base worse. "

Thats all you needed to say. You didn't have to come in with-
"Sure you're going to cast Supply! With two green sources and no mana fixing it should be easy as pie to cast it every single game! And playing Teferi with 8 blue sources in the deck is a wonderful idea too![/sarcasm]"

Now, don't you think that if you actually give someone some constructive criticism rather than just flaming that it would help the player out, and then MAYBE we wouldn't have alot of "scrubs" and "noobs" playing? I hate the term scrub and noob. Esp when people feel the need to call everyone else but themselves one, even though they themselves were (and probrably still are) one.

I guess my overall rant here would be that instead of everyone being at each others throat, why not help each other? Afraid someone might become better than you? Give you a challenge in that 8 max mini on M-L? We were all new to the game at one time, and we all made crap decks. But guess what.... I am SURE someone helped you become a better player, and build better decks (unless you get your "tech" from the latest netdeck spammed on the internet) and gave you a better insight to the fundamentals of the game. Bottom line - stop being assholes and realize Magic is a GAME. Games are meant to be fun. Sure, it can be competitive, but it should still be fun.
PsyK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc4rs wrote:
If you want constructive criticism, here it is: Play Azoritron. This deck's card choices are all spinoffs of a hybrid between that and Dralnu du Louvre, and the green splash for Supply/Demand makes it worse, as does Mirari.
Just for the record i'm pretty sure azoritron decks are a merging of original sorcery speed uw tron decks and the old uw counter control deck (which was the first to effectively prove the power of a resolved teferi) which is inferior as its main advantage was wrath, which as people now know, is a bad choice for that deck.

On the case of the mirari deck, i actually think the idea is very interesting, but as others have mentioned it needs more acceleration. The way i see it you could make the deck similar to a extended beacon opposition using glare and small accelerating creatures (although for this i think you would be better served turning mirari into something more useful like voidstone gargoyle or some toolbox cards for demand) or you could base it on mana accelerating spells like search for tomorrow and mwonvuli acid moss, along with good control spells like condemn and the supply win condition.

Personally i prefer the opposition idea as it can deal with control like dralnu (it falls over to a slow rolling decka that accelerates). Can outlast an aggro deck, although if this doesn't turn out to be true martyr of sands will tip the balance in your favour. You have a collection of options for beating dragonstorm post-board, and you should have at least 1 grand arbiter maindeck to be tutored for which will beat dragonstorm for you. Other wrath style control decks will have to get around a voidstone gargoyle which has named wrath (or damnation), possibly giving you the time to swing for the win. Most other decks lying around will probably suck against it or be easy to sideboard against. Your hardest matchup would be martyr combo i think, and if that turns out to be a problem you splash a little black and extirpate/castigate for the win.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1