Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A lesson to MGA scrubs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: A lesson to MGA scrubs. Reply with quote

Hi Apprentice/MWS scrubs! I have a quick lesson for you, please pay attention so that my casual matches are more fulfilling.

Uktabi Drake and Groundbreaker are bad cards. I know you have your flamethrowers lit already, but PLEASE.... let me explain...

When you cast a creature, and it kills itself, that's card disadvantage. For the same reason Groundbreaker is bad, is why Compulsive Research is good. More cards is better then less cards. When you cast a Llanowar Elf first turn, and a Groundbreaker 2nd turn, you suck at magic. It's not so much a question of whether you're bad, but whether you realize it or not. Groundbreaker CAN be a good card if you cast Call of the Herd 2nd turn, and Call of the Herd 3rd turn. That way, you're attacking and dealing damage. When I Wrath (Or Damnation) and I'm at a low life due to good cards, that's when Groundbreaker becomes an OK card.

Uktabi Drake is about as good a shock that can't target creatures when played on the first turn. And I have been "smashed" by an Uktabi Drake on the first turn about 6 times this week. This is a terrible play. I would gladly start the game at 18 life if my opponent started at 6 cards, so don't pay G and a turn to give me what I want.

Though Uktabi Drake isn't "terrible", it is terrible when you can't pay the echo. It's like a really crappy Giant Growth Really. Stop using it.

I hope that this lesson has taught you that MGA is competitive, but you are not. Thanks.
RedWolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Unlocks his cupboard and produces a flamethrower*
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
For heavens sake, will people never stop boasting and calling others noobs? Who cares if people play MGA with Groundbreaker? Who cares if they play WUBRGA, for that matter?
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by RedWolf on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
evol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by that logic, any non-cantrip is a bad card.
Hank333

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn one healing salve ftw!

I'll also reverse damage your attacking turn 1 elf. Tempo advantage bitch!

btw my WRGU deck is 125 cards, clearly the best number of cards in a deck.
Eldariel
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois: Ever heard of philosophy of fire? Uktabi Drake where you don't pay echo is bad, true (although a case can be made for a hasty 2/1 flyer, since the echo isn't undoable as long as the time is right), but Ball Lightning when coupled with other means of efficiently converting cards to damage gives you very effective tools for dropping opponent's life from 20 to 0. You do know why RDW2k5 played Blistering Firecat. A tip: It has nothing to do with card advantage, but rather winning the game. And before you go 'red has burn bla bla bla', hasty beaters emulate it in a control-MU. Not that I'd personally play the deck, but your arguments are badly flawed; trying to evaluate cards for an aggro-deck from card advantage point of view just makes the deck suck instead of constantly winning through 'luck'.

Last edited by Eldariel on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
jheezy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evol wrote:
by that logic, any non-cantrip is a bad card.
Taoofss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A lesson to MGA scrubs. Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Hi Apprentice/MWS scrubs! I have a quick lesson for you, please pay attention so that my casual matches are more fulfilling.

Uktabi Drake and Groundbreaker are bad cards. I know you have your flamethrowers lit already, but PLEASE.... let me explain...

When you cast a creature, and it kills itself, that's card disadvantage. For the same reason Groundbreaker is bad, is why Compulsive Research is good. More cards is better then less cards. When you cast a Llanowar Elf first turn, and a Groundbreaker 2nd turn, you suck at magic. It's not so much a question of whether you're bad, but whether you realize it or not. Groundbreaker CAN be a good card if you cast Call of the Herd 2nd turn, and Call of the Herd 3rd turn. That way, you're attacking and dealing damage. When I Wrath (Or Damnation) and I'm at a low life due to good cards, that's when Groundbreaker becomes an OK card.

Uktabi Drake is about as good a shock that can't target creatures when played on the first turn. And I have been "smashed" by an Uktabi Drake on the first turn about 6 times this week. This is a terrible play. I would gladly start the game at 18 life if my opponent started at 6 cards, so don't pay G and a turn to give me what I want.

Though Uktabi Drake isn't "terrible", it is terrible when you can't pay the echo. It's like a really crappy Giant Growth Really. Stop using it.

I hope that this lesson has taught you that MGA is competitive, but you are not. Thanks.

Ground breaker should be seen more like a burn spell rather than a creature card. Anyone with half a mind would cast call over ground breaker on t2. We dont need you telling us. Breaker is more of a finisher than a t2 drop. They wraith the board, you swing for 6 for the win. With MGA i would gladly have you at 14 starting the game with me at a 6 card disadvantage. So what you did was tell us a bunch of things we already know while offering nothing new. Waste of time.
Craze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright first thing is first...

Quote:

When you play...

1st turn forest, elves
2nd turn forest, Groundbreaker
thats a good play. Why? Because I just hit you for 6 before you hit me even 1 yet. Accounting for me going first cause I'm sexy and you playing some random deck using WoG and Damnation(you said it, not me) you just got hit for 6. Now, I can drop ANY creature down next turn and have a more adiquette(spelling error!) speed over you. Why? Well quite simple really...
Green creatures are powerful no matter when you drop them.

1st turn forest, elves
3rd turn forest, Giant Solifage

1st turn forest, elves
3rd turn forest Timbermare

bam your now down to 9-10 before you have any time to react. You start your defenses turn 3-4 baised on control. WoG here, Damnation here, but with quick shot creatures like Solfiage, Timbermare, and Groundbreaker I can shoot you dead in 2 more turns and still not give a fuck if you despose of my creatures on your turn. Newsflash: When you have a dozen huge cheap green creatures with haste, why do you care if they last long? They're creating a threat and even a groundbreaker, while true being theoretically card disadvantage, is still very sexy when its crushing you far faster then you can react.

Secondly

Yes, very true early stable creatures like Call would be a good place starter instead but then again

Quote:
With MGA i would gladly have you at 14 starting the game with me at a 6 card disadvantage
Paellin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people play groundbreaker for the same reason they play might of old krosa, or moldervine cloak, or blanchwood armor; to deal damage.
yavin1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHUT UP JACOIS. THE FORUMS ARE NOT A PLACE TO COMPLAIN PUBLICLY. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR DAMN PROBLEMS. jesus man, please stop critizing n00bs and just let ure casual matches be there, and if you face a twat, deal with it. seriously this is like your 4th post on the matter. plz stfu.
sgt_pepper
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still play kami/rav 300 card zoo in t2..... Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
DRINKALCOHOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, the fact that you actually posted something about this probably means you got pwned by scrubs with bad MGA lists. We all have bad days.

Drake is bad because there's nothing worth taking out for it.
Groundbreaker is good.

If CA is so important for MGA then everyone would have harmonize in the deck and suck
xDaN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundbreaker is horid turn 2... its the worst play ever ... its like playing dash hopes in a mono black deck... it has no SYNERGY... u put ur opponet at 14 gj u did first damage, now when they play threats and gain BOARD POSITION on u gg nub
IberianWolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craze wrote:

1st turn forest, elves

1st turn forest, elves

bam your now down to 9-10 before you have any time to react. You start your defenses turn 3-4 baised on control. WoG here, Damnation here, but with quick shot creatures like Solfiage, Timbermare, and Groundbreaker I can shoot you dead in 2 more turns and still not give a fuck if you despose of my creatures on your turn.

ok, let's stay T2 and just shoot some names... dark banishing? from cradle to grave? you know, not all removal is sorcery-speed. (exception is the solifuge, but there's counters/mass removal for that)

but even without damnation:

me: urborg.
you: forest, elf. (I midnight charm it)
me: forest, rathi trapper
you: forest, elf.
me: land, mire boa.

you're in a bad position since you've got no board control at the moment. you'll just get hit for 2 with an unblockable, you're playing a color with little to no removal, and I have a trapper to stop any breakers coming my way. this was just an example, I could present you with a lot of situations like this one.

I like MGA, but please, don't tell me groundbreaker is like an "awesome" card for it, 'cause it isn't. sure, a 2nd turn one might look good, but I'd rather play something else (for god's sake, uktabi drake sounds better than the breaker...)

also, if for some reason the game lasts a lot, and you really need help securing the board, and breaker comes up... cmon. you'll weep.

timbermare isn't that bad, but only if you pay the echo cost. that's a big no-no in MGA.

well, that card advantage talk was kinda stupid, lol. I see his point, but he probably meant board position or something like that. I doubt harmonize'll get a place in MGA.
Taoofss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IberianWolf wrote:
Craze wrote:

1st turn forest, elves

1st turn forest, elves

bam your now down to 9-10 before you have any time to react. You start your defenses turn 3-4 baised on control. WoG here, Damnation here, but with quick shot creatures like Solfiage, Timbermare, and Groundbreaker I can shoot you dead in 2 more turns and still not give a fuck if you despose of my creatures on your turn.

ok, let's stay T2 and just shoot some names... dark banishing? from cradle to grave? you know, not all removal is sorcery-speed. (exception is the solifuge, but there's counters/mass removal for that)

but even without damnation:

me: urborg.
you: forest, elf. (I midnight charm it)
me: forest, rathi trapper
you: forest, elf.
me: land, mire boa.

you're in a bad position since you've got no board control at the moment. you'll just get hit for 2 with an unblockable, you're playing a color with little to no removal, and I have a trapper to stop any breakers coming my way. this was just an example, I could present you with a lot of situations like this one.

I like MGA, but please, don't tell me groundbreaker is like an "awesome" card for it, 'cause it isn't. sure, a 2nd turn one might look good, but I'd rather play something else (for god's sake, uktabi drake sounds better than the breaker...)

also, if for some reason the game lasts a lot, and you really need help securing the board, and breaker comes up... cmon. you'll weep.

timbermare isn't that bad, but only if you pay the echo cost. that's a big no-no in MGA.

well, that card advantage talk was kinda stupid, lol. I see his point, but he probably meant board position or something like that. I doubt harmonize'll get a place in MGA.

MGA is better than whatever jank you're trying to sell. rathi trapper? midnight charm. ffs. Id also like for you to name the names of decks that runs dark banishing and cradle to the grave.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2