Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MGA updated with PC and red splash

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: MGA updated with PC and red splash Reply with quote

Creatures: 28
4-Birds of Paradise
4-Llanowar Elves
4-Silhana Ledgewalker
4-Scryb Ranger
4-Groundbreaker
3-Yavimaya Dryad
3-Dryad Sophisticate
2-Boreal Druid

Spells: 12
3-Blanchwood Armor
4-Moldervine Cloak
3-Call of the Herd
2-Giant Growth

Lands: 20
4-Stomping Ground
1-Pendelhaven
15-Snow-Covered Forest

Sideboard: 15
3-Krosan Grip
3-Giant Solifuge
3-Stonewood Invocation
4-Blood Moon
2-Hunted Wumpus

Let me know what you think. I took out forces (too slow) and added the obvious groundbreakers. Moved solifuge to board. The deck plays very well against agro as most creatures are bigger and great against multi color control with turn 2 blood moon consistently. Against agro-control such as blink-riders it owns too because of scryb ranger. So far in testing it hasn't lost yet but I could use some input.
DaanP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scryb ranger without spectral force?, also take out the dryads
Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys obviously don't understand how the deck works. Scryb fixes mana screw and is retarded good by itself it doesn't need force to be good. Also yeah red for blood moon. You get it off dryad or birds and you are set. You don't need burn or any crappy creatures like mauler. That makes absolutely no sense. The growths are great in the deck too I don't see why you think they are so terrible. And its either groundbreaker or solifuge main deck so which would you choose the 6/1 hits for 6 turn 2 or the 4/1 hits for 4 turn 3? Seems a no brainer to me. By making this deck into gruul it seems slower and more likely to give me a color screw. Adding karplusans makes blanchwood more useless so I don't see the reasoning behind that.
coolcreep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you obviously dont understand why MGA is good. namely, an 8/8 trampler for 5 in a deck full of acceleration.
Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand perfectly well what spectral force does. He is an 8/8 trampler that costs 5 he is slow. I have tested it with him and it is far faster without him.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lie.

10 1cc mana accel creatures..4 scryb ranger..

You obviously haven't tested with Force, because Scryb and Force bases a deck on those two with 2 fewer accelerants.
Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I lying the first turn you can get force in is turn 3 which is far slower than a 2nd turn groundbreaker. I don't see how I am lying here. Force is slow by himself and he slows down tempo by taking up all my mana on turn 3 or 4. The deck pumps out threats so much faster when it can do 2-3 a turn on turns 3-4 rather than 1. If you put out one threat against control they deal with it very simply with removal or counters but with multiple it limits it to board wipers or multiple counterspells.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many things wrong here I don't even know where to begin. Solifuge is better than the overrated Groudbreaker because it is UNTARGETABLE and actually sticks around to hit more than once. Lightning Helix, Sudden Shock, regular shock, Seal of Fire, Mortify/Putrefy, and any other removal all hit Groundbreaker and NOT Solifuge.

Calling Mauler a bad creature is almost a joke. A 3/3 trampler for 2 is terrible. I guess Kird Ape is bad too, because a 2/3 for 1 stinks.

If you insist on playing Giant Growth, play Might of old Krosa, it's better 99% of the time. Also I hear Stonewood Invocation is pretty good, what would you side it in against?It's maindeck material.

As for Spectral Force, well he is awesome and probably the best green fatty in a long time.

The Red splash for just Blood Moon seems kinda silly. Why not Demonfire/Char for extra reach against control?

The funny thing is your deck doesn't seem that bad, just your responses to other's suggestions seems way off-base.
Rapha-Jiki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: hum Reply with quote

if you don't like spectral, how about you try this

Lands
20 Forest

Creatures

2 Primal Forcemage ( maybe 4, he is great whit haste creatures )
4 Uktabi Drake (haste)
4 Boreal Druid
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Timbermare (haste)
4 Groundbreaker (haste)
4 Giant Solifuge

Others

3 Blanchwood Armor
4 Stonewood Invocation
4 Moldervine Cloak
4 Might of Old Krosa

so, so fast......and soooo sooo weak against control -_-''

BUT, if you don't like spectral, that resolves xD
Eldar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I don't think kird ape is bad and I don't think mauler is bad being a 3/3 trampler for 2 the thing I don't like about him and what makes him bad for this deck not altogether is the fact that he lacks evasion like pretty much everything else in the deck has. As for the groundbreaker issue yeah hes great against control/combo because they can't deal with him on turn 2 normally unless they hit the perfect color base and the exact spell so against agro he comes out for solifuge problem solved. I personally don't like krosa because most of the time the growth is to save guys or deal the last 3 in which case I cast it as an instant every time. Krosa is better in a deck based around perhaps fatal fury IMO I just don't find its synergy for the purpose I use growth for. Stonewood is alright but what I should have stated is what meta this deck is for then you would probably understand easier. Yeah stonewood is great but with so much dstorm I need to be faster and blanchwood comes out 1-2 turns earlier and beats for the same amount over those turns. Also its permanent until it dies whereas stonewood is one turn. But its still good enough to bring in vs control which is what I use it for and why its board. As for spectral force I just don't like him at all I never did when i played scryb/force and I tried him in the deck and it just doesn't fit my play style he may be good in his own regard but like I said my meta is mostly combo (dstorm) and control so I have to have a faster guy that gets in there right away rather than just being countered right away or forcing them to wrath which groundbreaker doesn't because he dies right away. Also blood moon is the shit around here also and normally I won't need demonfire for a couple which is normally all I could do. As for char its alright but the guys or pump I find to be more useful and I would rather not have to put in karplusans to lower blanchwood and if I put chars in I would have to.

But if you guys are really that hard pressed on force I could board him instead of wumpus (he is alright but force might be better suited here)

Rapha: I like the suggestion of the haste/forcemage special but it seems too conditional and somewhat slow and seeing as my meta is 60% dstorm 40% control it probably won't do too well.
Rawrer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yavimaya Dryad should go to sideboard, great card for mirror match or vs UG aggro/snakes.
Against other matchups its simply a mediocre card, perhaps it would work vs land-destruction.dec ..
Spyx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonfire?
Ownj00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldar is right, and all of you are wrong.

i've been playing this deck on mtgo for a looong time now, and you can see all of eldar's points illustrated there in replays of the good player's builds. ranger is always in the deck, with or without spec force. spec becomes obsolete post PC, and he shouldn't make the cut pre PC anyway if you've tested the deck. the red splash has and always will be strictly for blood moon, unless something drastic shows up that pulls that direction.

eldar, your list seems like the obvious 6 card change from the cookie cutter build post PC, time will tell if this is still a tier one deck after the other decks that gain more from PC settle in.

edit: oh yeah, never play dryad in the deck if you're not playing spec. i'd suggest 2 solifuges main over him. dryad is complete trash if the top of your curve is a few 3's and 2 4's. the addition for blanch armor is definately, definately not worth the inclusion of a 2/1 for 3 mana. now that groundbreaker is in the deck, even more so.

in my opinion, the deck should now go to 4 cloak, 4 groundbreaker, 2 blanch armor, 2 solifuge for the high end drops. this deck is all about curve.

ps: i have it 100% foiled on magic online, 7th edition elves, etc. soooo sexy ^_^
coolcreep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when people who think an 8/8 trampler for 5 is bad try to act self righteous. You can't play 2-3 threats a turn without dreadfully overextending. you simply play a mana accel, scryb ranger, then spectral force and say "deal with me or die, bitch." if you drop all your stuff the way you suggest your whole game plan is ruined by one wrath. Spectral force has the strength of 3 cards. BDW, for example, can't deal with it. If they do, that means they used multiple burn spells on it. Those are burn spells that didnt go to your face or onto your smaller critters. Almost all of the MGA decks winning/placing in trials have used scryb and force, because 8/8s for 5 are just good.
Eldar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyx: Demonfire is a great card and I would play it if I needed it. But if this deck gets to a late game it is going to be hard enough to win as it is and I probably shouldn't thus meaning I kept a bad hand to begin with. The deck is fast enough to win without demonfire for about 4 when it would normally win.

Own: Finally someone that isn't completely retarded. You need red only and ONLY for blood moon its the best red option for you. I think I have to disagree with dryad simply because if you don't draw the birds or the stomping you need a way to fetch it which happens quite often. I like the idea of solifuge while dropping the blanchwoods it makes perfect sense. Yeah if this deck curves out like it just about does every game with or without land it rapes so hard. I don't think they were all wrong really I think they just believe what they want about the deck without testing it themselves and for the combo/control meta force is WAY TOO SLOW. Seeing as combo goes off turn 4-5 normally that 8/8 deals 8 whereas a cloaked guy plus another guy or two deals 10+ in that time.

cool: You seem to like force too much. yeah he is an 8/8 trampler that gets remanded/canceled/putrefyed/mortifyed/temp iso/fetters/FORCES wrath which normally gets rid of about 2 more guys if I am playing him on turn 3. You don't realize that if the deck curves out and ends up dropping say elf ranger cloak in one turn that is far better than force. First off they don't want to wrath 2 guys and one being cloaked. It doesn't seem worth it most of the time unless they are holding multiple wrath.

I don't know how you guys feel about it but I have been considering running extirpate in the board and putting some overgrown tombs main for it. Would be a great way to stop wrath/damnation control decks seeing as this deck can normally recover from 1-2 wrath effects before it dies.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2