Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(minor) Magic-League Changes/Suggestions/Bug Fixes


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Author Message
Jerry_Christ



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial Times. I think that If you change the trial times to somethinkg between 2-6 P.M. (Est) You would get more people. Or adjust it around school. I mean you would have alot more people playing if you adjusted it around school. What I am trying to say is 9 a.m. Is just way to early. I usually dont get to sleep until 2 a.m. (cst) so getting up for that tourney is just insane.
Back to top
Laplie



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 561

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make Composite rating !!!!


We used to have it, but because of how ratings are done, its not possible now since inactive players are removed from ratings lists.

Quote:
Make it so we don't get empty sealed pools when we do anything other than TSTSTS


Most of the older sealed pools had to be deleted for site stability. I'll see if this is even possible now.

Quote:
I would very much appreciate it if you could allow judges to see their own tournaments with !time. Thank you :]


It doesn't work because with mirc scripts, you can't trigger on your own text. /time should have been implemented with TC script v3, but apparently its not.

Quote:
why don't u make a limited master????
it can be draft or sealed i would enjoy it!


Cause master aren't run through the site (they are run on DCIr). Also it would likely lead to a lot of problems and masters are difficult enough as it is.

Quote:
I'd like it if Single Matches displayed the discription in the rating history. It could go in the space currently occupied by Single Match.


added to the list
Back to top
NahHolmes



Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 738

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: I know you said dead horse and all, but you should really allow judges to use discression with the flip rule. Sometimes things come up that it's just easier for one person to let the other win on flips then to be a dick and waste everyones time getting a ruling on something stupid like a technical error. Since it would be judges discression it would be easy to see someone abusing it.
2: Don't allow people to play in more then 1 mini. People always complain that there are not enough minis, you should only join 1 at a time so people can get into them who are not playing. Also it is incredibly obnoxious to play vs. someone juggling another mini. It is almost always extreme stalling and very not fun.
3: Start banning people for saying extremely racist things, so uncalled for and many of the players here are still young.
4: Bring back BYOB, BYOT2, and Block Party!!!!!!! Also Peasant.
5: Put the timer for rounds on the main page for those in a mini/trial, sometimes the TC timer breaks or something (prolly not an easy thing to do though).
Back to top
Wiley



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3: Start banning people for saying extremely racist things, so uncalled for and many of the players here are still young.


Ever heard of freedom of speech?


also...

Quote:
Most of the older sealed pools had to be deleted for site stability. I'll see if this is even possible now.


This confuses me a bit; why was having old sealed pools making the site unstable? I'll admit I might not be nerdy enough to understand this, but could you at least explain it because I am somewhat skeptical
Back to top
Erebus-



Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should race exist in a faceless, online community?
Back to top
Laplie



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 561

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiley wrote:

Quote:
Most of the older sealed pools had to be deleted for site stability. I'll see if this is even possible now.


This confuses me a bit; why was having old sealed pools making the site unstable? I'll admit I might not be nerdy enough to understand this, but could you at least explain it because I am somewhat skeptical


The card lists are stored is a giant table with cardname, set, rarity, etc. To generate a sealed pool, SQL queries are run on the table with an similar effect of "Randomly give me 7 commons from X set" and powweb's server returns the result.

Searching a 400 card table is much less intensive than searching an 8k-9k table. And of course I'm simplifying a bit. Each player's pool requires multiple queries, and I'm not sure if koen uses print runs.

If you remember, previously every time a sealed trial or large sealed mini was run, the site would crash or grind to a hault. Now, there is only a noticeable slowdown.

There are of course other ways it can be done which might be faster (and have been discussed), but i'm not sure if we are ready for that yet.
Back to top
Wiley



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: This is in response to the post before Laplie's; also Laplie thank you for clarifying that for me. On that note though, shouldn't Koen use print runs?

Precisely, why acknowledge it? Do you think anyone says the word 'nigger' on M-L in reference to blacks? Or because they want to express hatred towards black people? They say it because the word is funny and controversial. I can recall several instances of r4ndom saying 'hmm i feel like getting banned' before he'd say the word; banning people for dropping the N bomb only adds fuel to the fire.

While the word is often associated with racism, it can't be racist if you aren't actually a racist person. Banning people for expressing themselves on the basis that 'many of the players here are young' is ridiculous because first of all, it's trivialising the whole issue by saying 'oh racism is bad because we might offend the youngins' (you know, as opposed to offending BLACK PEOPLE) and second of all, we can't fuck over the mature population by restricting their freedom of speech just because a few people on the site might bitch to their parents. I've heard this same line of argument from Nico; pray tell me why you're trying to appeal to an invisible demographic? As far as I know the youngest person here is Gerrardfo.
Back to top
AppleofEris



Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if a child is that sheltered to freak out at a curse word, then his parents aren't going to allow him to browse the net on his own and he most likely will not be playing Magic. Broad generalizations aside...

There is no real good way to do the sealed pools any more faster and still make the server reliable. SQL is crappy stuff, and it took you guys a while to finally get it down. Way to go.

Off the top of my head, I think it would be better to maybe reorganize everything in the card database. Like, all TSP is one group. All RAV, DIS, and such are in different groups...and a TC could have options on whatever he uses to make minis and such, therefore, the cards are stored on server, but are never used unless an option is indicated.

If you want a clearer explanation of that, I would be happy to ablidge, but that will alleviate the server stress of searching over 2,000 entries in a database while still offering other sets for sealed events.
Back to top
Jerry_Christ



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O and another thing, I think there should be some thing that examins the decks (that is given when joining a tourny) to make sure no-one is using banned (or to many restricted, etc) cards. I personally love t2 but i also love playing other formats (byob, Byot2, t1, etc.) But I dont know all the cards that are banned and or restricted in certain formats, (I do know most of them) but for the noobys who dont, it would sure help them to know that there opp are not use illegal cars. Should be it, I will sleep on this thread and maybe get more bugs and such, jk.
Back to top
iKe



Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Posts: 530
Location: New York

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think team trials would be great. You could use that DCI-r system to pair the teams and there will be Man A,B,C and they would play each other. You could give points however you want (Team points + rating points for wins etc...). Team minis would probably too much of a pain in the ass to deal with but I think a few trials maybe a master would be really cool.
Back to top
Laplie



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 561

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An anonymous suggestion:

whe you try the "Find the Magic-League rating history of a player:" you cant find Other, and when you are looking at someoens rating, you cant find directly the Other, like a direct link "player x's Constructed Rating History". And I dont know if its big but a composite list would be nice
Back to top
Apocalypser



Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalArsenal wrote:
Jerry_Christ wrote:
Trial Times. I think that If you change the trial times to somethinkg between 2-6 P.M. (Est) You would get more people. Or adjust it around school. I mean you would have alot more people playing if you adjusted it around school. What I am trying to say is 9 a.m. Is just way to early. I usually dont get to sleep until 2 a.m. (cst) so getting up for that tourney is just insane.


I AGREE TOTALLY WITH JERRY!!! I live in Alaska and it's just f*ckin rediculous if i have to wake up at 6 am for a trial or master that's on a weekend... Plz move them closer towards mid-afternoon... Also, off the subject, you damn mini makers get to makin those damn minis... jeezuz...

You do know there are other time zones right ?
My suggestions are:
- New team points system.
- Mini forming message ALWAYS in the same colour. And how about the script pvt'ing the time remaining messages to the players only, instead of flooding the entire screen with a billion time remaining messages from a billion different minis. I know this might fail if people change nicks, but they can still use the !time command.
- A few others that have already been mentioned
Back to top
NahHolmes



Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 738

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom of speech... This is a website for playing Magic, your "freedom of speech" here ends where ever the owners of the website want it to. I don't care about a joke every once in a while, but some people just nonstop say incredibly racist shit and only once have I seen anything done about it. Two years ago you would get a warning for saying anything from fag to shit in the channel then the 2nd time you got a kick/ban, now it seems like absolutely anything goes. My roommate started playing on here and he said something about it too so I know it turns a lot of people off to the site. He was checking out the top 4 decks for a trial and the comments were all like "Yeah niggers eat shit" and "Fucking stupid niggers". I mean maybe you all live in Canada or something, but around where I live the Klan still rides and people still get killed and beaten over words. I used to live with 3 black roommates in college and had people ride by in trucks and yell "Niggers!!!!" out their window as we walked down the street, so yeah it may just be a joke to say to you but to lots of people it's a word that means a lot more then you will ever understand apparently, so grow the fuck up with all that.

Anyways though back to topic bring back the Other formats, so fun.
Back to top
Jerry_Christ



Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apocalypser wrote:
MetalArsenal wrote:
Jerry_Christ wrote:
Trial Times. I think that If you change the trial times to somethinkg between 2-6 P.M. (Est) You would get more people. Or adjust it around school. I mean you would have alot more people playing if you adjusted it around school. What I am trying to say is 9 a.m. Is just way to early. I usually dont get to sleep until 2 a.m. (cst) so getting up for that tourney is just insane.


I AGREE TOTALLY WITH JERRY!!! I live in Alaska and it's just f*ckin rediculous if i have to wake up at 6 am for a trial or master that's on a weekend... Plz move them closer towards mid-afternoon... Also, off the subject, you damn mini makers get to makin those damn minis... jeezuz...

You do know there are other time zones right ?
My suggestions are:
- New team points system.
- Mini forming message ALWAYS in the same colour. And how about the script pvt'ing the time remaining messages to the players only, instead of flooding the entire screen with a billion time remaining messages from a billion different minis. I know this might fail if people change nicks, but they can still use the !time command.
- A few others that have already been mentioned


well duh!!! but most of the m-l cummunity is from america( with exceptions). basically what i am saying is, that there are to many early morning (like 7 a.m. or 9 a.m. ec) trials. Yuo dont have to eleminate the early morning trials just cut them down. it would be nice.

p.s. I also agree with bringing back the other minis.
Back to top
Wiley



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NahHolmes wrote:
Freedom of speech... This is a website for playing Magic, your "freedom of speech" here ends where ever the owners of the website want it to. I don't care about a joke every once in a while, but some people just nonstop say incredibly racist shit and only once have I seen anything done about it. Two years ago you would get a warning for saying anything from fag to shit in the channel then the 2nd time you got a kick/ban, now it seems like absolutely anything goes. My roommate started playing on here and he said something about it too so I know it turns a lot of people off to the site. He was checking out the top 4 decks for a trial and the comments were all like "Yeah niggers eat shit" and "Fucking stupid niggers". I mean maybe you all live in Canada or something, but around where I live the Klan still rides and people still get killed and beaten over words. I used to live with 3 black roommates in college and had people ride by in trucks and yell "Niggers!!!!" out their window as we walked down the street, so yeah it may just be a joke to say to you but to lots of people it's a word that means a lot more then you will ever understand apparently, so grow the fuck up with all that.


None of the things you mentioned about how the site 'used to be' are actually positive; also what happened to your choco face roommates is irrelevant, this is THE INTERNET and if you're sensitive about it, too bad, we're faceless people who you don't even know.

Also, ''your freedom of speech here ends where ever the owners of the website want it to'' this is funny because you aren't the owner of the website, nor do you speak for them, so kindly shut the fuck up. Oh, and you seem to think everything goes now? Random got banned for three weeks for saying 'niggerfuck', while ML may be more lenient it's certainly not 'anything goes', and besides I have people attesting to you getting people banned for saying the word, so obviously you've seen it gotten taken care of and you're lying/overdramatising the situation.

First you're all 'oh the children' and now you're saying 'oh the blacks'? Christ, make up your mind
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy