Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UWR Sideboarding - Major help needed!

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: UWR Sideboarding - Major help needed! Reply with quote

Going to a tournament Friday and I have my decklist and SB ready, after about 2 weeks of constant consideration and tweaking. It is basically the Flores list from Champs with Remand over Serra Avenger (she dies too easy and sucks at blocking) and a couple spells different.

4 Court Hussar
4 Lightning Angel
4 Firemane Angel
1 Sacred Mesa

2 Boros Signet
2 Azorius Signet
4 Remand
4 Compulsive Research
2 Demonfire
2 Faith's Fetters
4 Lightning Helix
4 Wrath of God

1 Prahv, Spires of Order
1 Urza's Factory
3 Boros Garrison
1 Plains
1 Island
4 Steam Vents
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Hallowed Fountain

SB:
4 Azorius Guildmage
4 Pyroclasm
3 Ivory Mask
3 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Sacred Mesa

I feel confident about my list and about my SB. I expect a lot of Glare, Boros, and mid-range B/W/G and B/W/R decks, along with a couple Martyrtron and Dragonstorm. Dragonstorm is fine because you can gain life and Wrath the Dragons. Pyroclasm is amazing against weenies, especially Glare and U/G. Ivory Mask stops burn to the dome AND discard, while Teferi is against U-based control, and Mesa goes in against mid-range and control both. Also, Azorius Guildmage is tech against Marytron, not to mention really wonderfully annoying against mid-range and control.

So here are my archetypes and my board-ins:
G/U, Glare, MGA: +4 Pyroclasm
Rakdos, Boros, Zoo: +4 Pyroclasm, +3 Ivory Mask
UW,UR,UWR: +3 Teferi, +1 Mesa, +4 Azorius GM
Solar Flare/Pox, BGW, RBW: +3 Ivory Mask, +1 Mesa, +4 Azorius GM

The problem is I have no idea what to side out! I know against control and mid-range Azorius will probably come in for Hussar, so do the other 4 respective cards come for Wrath of God? Or do I keep 1-2 Wraths against decks just running finishers like Hierarch/Angel of Despair/Akroma, etc. since I have no Condemns?

Even harder is what to sub out for Aggro. Everything main deck still seems useful, but I really want the Clasms. Do I take out the Signets? Or -1 Mesa -2 Demonfire -1 something else? And then I have to find 7 to remove against R/X Aggro. Any help appreciated.

aldaryn
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU! I did not even catch that! Man, kinda makes me wish I was running Tidings instead, heh. Well that makes the sb choices a bit more obvious now.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm thinking about it more, I am sure glad to know that, but it's a bit frustrating because I don't want to get Persecuted; at the same time, I want to have card draw available in that matchup. Sure, I could replace it with Think Twice, but the mana investment is much larger and this deck doesn't need to do everything end-of-their-turn, plus it won't pitch Firemane, and Careful Consideration says "Target player" too. Are there any alternatives to Ivory Mask against Persecute/Castigate/Seek wreckage?

I just thought of Ignorant Bliss, but that's nowhere near as versatile....Ivory Mask is great because it prevents burn also..

Another idea: Bottled Cloister. Screwed if they disenchant it, but otherwise I'm drawing cards and their Persecutes and Castigates are worthless...
Colossus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your missing four (4) lands. I counted only 56 cards with 19 land. Chancery? Boilerworks?

I've found that pyroclasm usually just isn't enough against hyperagressive decks, primarly Zoo and certain versions of Boros Deck (Main Soltari AND 'en-vec) and tends to be better against tokens (See saprolings and pegasus tokens) If your more worried about decks such as Zoo and the like, I'd go with condemns, just giving you enough time to resolve a Wrath and take the upper hand. Coupled with Court Hussar, Condemn should be all the answers you need to stall out. Faith's Fetters isn't that bad either. In fact, with the rise in popularity of Urza's Factory (An awesome card) I think Faith's Fetters is an even more important main board card to shut that down. As well as Sacred mesa.

Looking at this list I still don't see a very good Dragonstorm game, and that will need to be important, that deck will get much, much more popular since it won Worlds. I think a very, very good hoser card is Shadow of Doubt. Making room for two of those in the board seems critical to me. I'd cut one Ivory Mask and one Pyroclasm for it.

If your expecting a lot of glare, there is a very good answer to one of the most feared cards, Selesnya Guildmage, in the form of Spell Snare. Disenchant is also pretty good. Thenlonite Hermit might cause you problems by making the saprolings bigger, making pyroclasm more and more ineffective.

Four Azorius Guildmage seems just a little overkill. I like the card, I really do, I really just don't see him being a four of in the all important SideBoard.

For a quick off-the-top idea of something I would change the sideboard would look something like this:

2 Teferi
2 Ivory Mask
2 Shadow of Doubt
3 Pyroclasm
3 Azorius Guildmage
3 Condemn

It looks a little shaky, but I'm doing this off the top of my head with this reasoning:

Zoo, Boros, Rakdos...ect...ect...: +3 Condemn, +3 Pyroclasm, +2 Ivory Mask.

-4 Compulsive Research, -4 Firemane Angel

That looks bad, but with Ivory Mask the Compulsives are useless, and with that a cheap way to pitch Firemane Angel. In this game your really just looking for a way to be in good shape by turn four to cast Wrath, letting them have whatever is next and then powering through with Lightning Angel. The only thing in this game that I think you really need to be worried about is Char, as that will just flat out nuke your Angel, and Remand really isn't an answer to that.

Dragonstorm: +2 Shadow of Doubt, +2 Ivory Mask.

-2 Demonfire, -1 Sacred Mesa, -1 Lightning Angel.

Keep the compulsives this game to get Shadow of Doubt as fast as possible, perhaps even an agressive mulligan to get this. If you respond to the dragonstorm with Shadow of Doubt...it's essentially game over for them, as 80% of the time they dump their hand to get the storm counters. Demonfire serves no purpose in this game, Sacred Mesa just takes to long to be relavent, and lightning angel can still be effective at 3.

Glare: +3 Pyroclasm.

-3 Firemane,

...I really don't know about this matchup. I haven't played against a good Glare deck in a while, and definitly not with a WUR deck, but looking at it, doing this will give you the tools you need to get the job done, but Wrath will be essential to this game. Hierarch will also cause nothing but headaches. Espically if they're splashing blue for momentary blink. You could put in the Guildmage and have a 'Glare' of your own, but I really don't see the point. The only real option I personally would use is some actual counters, Mana Leak and the like.

Any mid-range Blue variant: +2 Teferi...

this is a no-brainer. Resolve Teferi, and you win.

I hope I helped, if only a little.
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for land, I forgot 4 Flagstones of Trokair.

Thanks for the tips. I had considered Teferi before, and I think I will end up putting him back in. I am seeing the light about Pyroclasm. Condemn is going to go in, primarily because of its casting cost. Edit: I guess I hadn't taken Teferi out as of this post, heh.

Faith's Fetters is one of my favorite cards, but I'm unsure where and how to put it in. I am playing around with just completely replacing Remand main board with it, making 4 Fetters then adding a signet and a demofire, since it's practically never dead, lifegain at worst.

I actually emailed Frank Karsten about his Angelfire deck and sideboard and I think CoP:Red might be better than Ivory Mask against Red. He indicated that Ivory Mask is not worth it against discard since they can Castigate it, and it's a worthless topdeck late game...the better strategy being to just let them cast their discard and then hopefully topdeck Compulsive into Demonfire. Against Dragonstorm, with signets I can hopefully just get more mana out than a Gigadrowse can do..alternatively I think Trickbind is a better hoser than Shadow of Doubt, because Gigadrowse screws up Shadow, but you could still get by with 2 Trickbinds if you Trickbind the gigadrowse too, and it's also at least mildly useful against Martyrtron. But I think CoP:Red is the most diverse option.

He also advocated Annex in the sideboard, but I think I like Grand Arbiter from Flores' SB better. Since against control "you're the beatdown," it's a similar effect to Annex, but it's a beater, too.

I'll update later to show what I'm thinking right now.

4 Court Hussar
4 Lightning Angel
4 Firemane Angel
1 Sacred Mesa

2 Boros Signet
3 Azorius Signet
4 Compulsive Research
3 Demonfire
4 Faith's Fetters
4 Lightning Helix
4 Wrath of God

1 Prahv, Spires of Order
1 Urza's Factory
3 Boros Garrison
1 Plains
1 Island
4 Steam Vents
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Flagstones of Trokair

SB:
4 Condemn
4 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
3 CoP:Red
3 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
1 Sacred Mesa

I'm pretty hesitant to take out Remand, but I expect primarily aggro (Boros, Glare, Zoo). Here is the current sideboard stategy I have in mind

Against MGA/Glare/Scryb: -3 Demonfire, -1 Mesa, +4 Condemn
Against BDW, Zoo, Rakdos: -3 Demonfire, -4 ????, +4 Condemn, +3 CoP:Red.
Against Black-based Control: -4 WoG, -1 Fetters, +4 Arbiter, +1 Mesa
Against Blue-based Control: -4 WoG, -4 Fetters, +4 Arbiter, +3 Teferi, +1 Mesa
Against Dragonstorm: -4 Lightning Angel, -3 Demonfire, -4 Firemane Angel, +3 CoP:Red, +4 Arbiter, +3 Teferi, +1 Mesa (Not sure about this sideboarding at all here.)
aldaryn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, but a few problems

1.) 3-color mana base means a lot of R/U only sources and tapping signets to use doesn't work so well, since I'll have to float R or U.
2.) Don't have any.

2 aside, I still think CoP:Red is fine... I did consider Teferi's Moat against G/X though.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1