Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the BCS is crap

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
nasa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: the BCS is crap Reply with quote

first off, im a Buckeye fan so im not some UM fan pissed cause they didnt get a rematch.
but the BCS is flawed, i dont think a playoff is a good system but Notre dame who played a cupcake schedule and lost their only games to decent opponents goes to a BCS bowl and Auburn and Wisconsin dont?
wisconsin was 11-1 with their only loss being to UM
the only 2 teams from a conferance rule is bogus
i think the top 7 teams should auto in to a bcs bowl no matter what conferance they are in.
AEonFlux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a buckeye fan and i believe michigan should have gotten a 2nd chance with there only loss being to the number 1 team by 3 pts.
and floridas being to a shitty team.

how did wisconsin not get notre dames spot???o yeah notre dames quarterback blows the bcs guys so he could show off in a bowl before he departs, that spot belonged to wisconsin.
Barnacle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: BCS Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more, this year's system was a travesty. The two best teams in the country are not playing each other, and the top ten teams in the country are not in the game. So flawed. And the worst part about it, everyone has hands in everyone else's pockets. The NFL exec's will never allow a playoff systemfor the simple reason that more games=more oppurtunities for their precious draft picks to get hurt. And the college presidents don't have to answer to anybody regarding the direction they take with their football affairs. It's ridiculous is what it is. Arguing for a playoff system, although i would love to have one, is about as pointless as asking for a mini to start at 6 am EST, just not happening. We have to start looking at other alternatives that don't require more games to be played but fairly match teams.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone can agree the BCS sucks. But Michigan doesn't deserve to be playing in the title game for one reason: they didn't win their conferance, Florida did. The BCS's job isn't to pick the best game (UM/OSU would probably be better than UF/OSU) it's to pick the two "best" teams. Just because Florida is a defensive team and they win close games doesn't mean they should be penealized. And the SEC is pretty damn good (ARK, LSU, AUB, UF, SC). USC's loss was to an unranked team so don't let them off. Every year it is the same, no matter what there is whining about what teams should have made it. I say get the top 4 and have a mini-playoff. Oh and Boise and Hawaii are awesome.
nasa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would boise be playin in the championship
the top 7 in the BCS should get a bowl and have 3 at larges.
smallface99

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thriilled to see USC (apologizes to USC fans, nothing personal) only because I knew it would cause another BCS nightmare in which the whole system looks like the joke it is. College football will never be legit in my eyes until they improve the system, but they WILL NOT take a financial set back to make it right, so don't hold your breath.

Jon
PS-This is why college basketball is and will remain until something changes the kind of college sports (maybe you OSU fans won't even give me slack for that comment since you guys are good again). Go UConn! (basketball, not football, we suck at football)
sonicqaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading these posts and I am laughing so hard it is pathetic.

First of all, the reason Wisconsin is not in a BCS Bowl is because there is a rule that says no more than two schools from the same conference in the BCS Bowl games.

Number two, I don't think Notre Dame is great, but Wisconsin hasn't beaten anyone good all year either.

Three, the two best teams in the nation ARE playing each other. The two teams who won the toughest conferences do get to play each other for the right to be called the nation's best, there is nothing wrong with that.

And to the person that said Florida lost to a shitty team...that team was Auburn and they are ranked tenth right now.

You guys need to stick to magic.
Buffalo_Wing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michigan is better than a shitty florida team that's looked mediocre the entire season.
FAR better.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the fact they had the number 1 toughest schedule?
ColdBeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Florida fan. I live and die by florida football. I am glad we have a shot. I saw some numbers in a comparison between UF an UM and it went something like this (btw these numbers on the points are approximate, to the best of my memory- actually i got the numers and edited. they are correct now)

______________ uf / michigan
record_________ 12-1 / 11-1
record against
ranked opponents 3-1 / 2-1
avg points for____ 28.8 / 30.2
avg poinst against 13.5 / 14.6
yards per game (per play) 398.1(6.5) / 374.9(5.6)
yards allowwed per game
(per play)_____________ 268.8(4.4) / 251.1(4.2)

this looks pretty even to me.
here's an excerpt from an article on espn.com for you to think over. I don't know why the numbers on the tv in the wins vs ranked opponents disagree with it (perhaps the win against wisconsin was not counted in the article because they were not top 25 at the time of the game) but it has some valid points.

"here are the cold, hard facts when comparing the Gators and Wolverines:

1. Florida beat nine teams that are projected to play in bowl games. Michigan beat six.

2. Michigan beat five teams that finished the season with losing records. Florida beat two teams with sub-.500 records.

3. Florida's 12 Division I-A opponents had a combined record of 89-57. Michigan's 12 opponents had a combined record of 84-61.

4. Michigan's best win is considered a 27-13 victory over Wisconsin on Sept. 23. The Badgers are 11-1 and have climbed to No. 7 in the AP Top 25 poll, despite having played only one ranked opponent -- the Wolverines -- the entire season.

5. The 12 teams Florida defeated finished the season with 11 combined wins against opponents which were ranked in the AP Top 25 poll at the time the game was played. The opponents Michigan defeated claim just three wins against ranked teams (Notre Dame beat Penn State. Indiana beat Iowa. Vanderbilt beat Georgia. The Nittany Lions, Hawkeyes and Bulldogs, it should be noted, haven't been ranked in seven weeks).

6. The Gators went 3-1 against ranked opponents, beating then-No. 13 Tennessee, No. 9 LSU and No. 8 Arkansas and losing at No. 11 Auburn. The Wolverines went 1-1 against ranked opponents, beating a highly overrated No. 2 Notre Dame team (that lost to Michigan and USC by a combined total of 46 points) and losing at No. 1 Ohio State 42-39 on Nov. 18.

7. The Gators' average margin of victory against Division I-A teams was 13.5 points. They won seven games by 14 points or fewer, six by less than 10. The Wolverines' average margin of victory was 17.3 points. They won six games by 14 points or fewer, two by less than 10.

8. The Gators played Western Carolina, a Division I-AA team, and won by 62 points. The Wolverines played Ball State, which should be a I-AA team, and won by eight.

9. Since the Wolverines last played and lost at Ohio State, the Gators won at Florida State (The Seminoles are 6-6, but rivalry games are tough to win. Just ask USC coach Pete Carroll) and then beat the No. 8 Razorbacks, who defeated then-No. 2 Auburn and No. 13 Tennessee by 17 points each.

10. Michigan didn't win the Big Ten; Florida won the SEC. Winning your conference should be a prerequisite for playing in the national championship."

as for # 10 I don't necessarily agree with that one.

bottom line is this. Michigan got screwed, but Florida still deserves their shot.

Last edited by ColdBeer on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
xDaN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Florida not get in this game? 12-1 through the toughest confrence in football, The hardest schedule rank in college football in the nation. How does this not get you to the bcs game? Sure Michigan is a great team prolly better than florida to be honest, but if michigan wanted that bowl game they should of beat ohio state. They had there chance to knock them off, they didnt. So people should quit crying about it.
kfcman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i think they shud ditch the BCS as does everyone else in the country
and they shud replace it with a playoff system

and it wud b a 16 or 32 team playoff
the 12 teams that win their conference get an automatic bid to the playoff
that leaves either 4 at large teams or 20 at large teams

so if its 16 teams then u have the top 8 ranked teams (excluding teams who already clinced a playoff birth) and have them randomly paired and they fight for their spot in the tourny
now if its 32 teams
than
with 20 open spots
u have the top 10 ranked teams (again, excluding teams who already have a birth) get an automatic bid
then the next top 10 will be randomly paired and they
wil paly 5 at large games to earn bids to the playoff

that way
its not a popularity contest to go to the national title game
so a team that went undefeated (like boise state, or auburn a couple years back) can actually play for the title shot that they earned

that way it will actually be the best 2 teams in the title game
not what sum random douche bags think will b the best game
snoopster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should have a 4 game playoff, since usually it comes down to 4 teams who have a chance to make the title game. also, the SEC is a rediculously difficult conference, and although michigan seemed better than florida in the games they played, their conference was far weaker.
ColdBeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 or 32 team playoff will never happen.
4 or 8 team playoff may yet come about.
the big 10 needs a title game.
the bcs computer system would be acceptable if the teams snubbed were #'s 9 and 10 not 3 and 4.

that said, IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR!
Laplie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicqaz wrote:
I have been reading these posts and I am laughing so hard it is pathetic.

First of all, the reason Wisconsin is not in a BCS Bowl is because there is a rule that says no more than two schools from the same conference in the BCS Bowl games.

You obv haven't been reading cause that was brought up very early. The point wasn't "why isn't wisconsin in a bowl" but "wisconsin SHOULD be in a bowl and the rule not allowing them is stupid"
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2