Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why we are outcasts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic
RichardDWade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Why we are outcasts Reply with quote

So, I get home from a night of country living tonight, and I see a post that reads something like... "Is this sexual harassment"... so, i read of course. And the fun stops there. I want all of you imbeciles who said it was ok to grab/grope/proposition women/men to know this... Next time someone complains about you, not because your unkempt, dirty, stink, have disgusting puss filled acne, but because you play magic this is why. You are the reason I am at work and someone asks me what I'm doing tonight and I say, hanging out with the wife and kid.. then playing some magic, and they look at me with total disgust. Even my closest friends don't understand that it's just a game, and think of me as a loser, because of folks like you. Its the same with say, pot smokers... Most of us are hard workers and responsible, but its the assholes out there that sit around and play video games and slack on bills and what not that give us a bad name.
I don't know who here is old enough to remember the outrage parents had about dungeons and dragons, but if I was a parent of a teen and I looked at that thread, I would be apalled that my child associated with the likes of people like you by means of a simple game, even though im sure they would have the common sense themselves to know what kind of idiots you are.
So, what I guess Im trying to say here is, take it somewhere else. Don't make M:TG and all other fantasy/CCG players seem to be the type to be like you and yours. It's fun to be silly and off the wall here, even down right crude... Everyone loves a little of that... But when you discuss ASSAULTING someone (and thats what its called by the way) I think even that is crossing the "line", even though relativity rules in the world of internet gross-out.
MaksymG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... but even with the simple truth you have provided you must take into account that you are not affiliated with what others write in these forums and therefor are in no place to state what is "crossing the lines" as much as i agree with you, as you yourself said that relativity is key on the internet and while you might not enjoy such comments you will have to tolerate them or ignore them

Demonfire FTW

Last edited by MaksymG on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buffalo_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a half-joke by a canadian. don't take it too seriously. also, a lot of magic players aren't outcasts.
BattleofWits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense but I think the reason people look down on people like us (or whatever) is because its a card game involving dragons and faeries and wizards and whatnot, not because a small % of us a complete morons
Malice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to agree with RichardDWade, but most magic players are viewed as outcasts. Even in my own circle of friends outside of ones i play magic with, they laugh at me when i tell them im going to an event or testing magic with a friend. Im not saying that stupid posts are the only reason the magic community is viewed this way, its mostly because a large number of players ARE geeky and nerdy. Sure you have the few individuals that dont fit the traditional profile and they are the ones who get laughed at, but for the most part, magic players are geeks.
Buffalo_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
fact one: you have non-geeky friends
fact two: non-geeky friends think you're nerdy/a loser/laugh at you/look down on you when you say you're playing magic.
so don't tell them? s'worked for me.
MaksymG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good and easy solution wing, like really

Demonfire FTW
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously me and my 3 good friends have been playing magic since 6th grade. We were mad nerdy back then but all grew into other things but still played Magic. One of us got into the local indie music scene and quit Magic. He cited as the main reason "the lame people you have to associate with to play'. So now there's 3 of us me and one kid got way into the beach scene but still play but forreal I can't stand about 90% of the people that play Magic. I haven't traded a card in over a year despite having a 3000$ legacy collection and a knack for getting the best of people in trades but I just can't stand to interact with most Magic players forreal. So many people who play Magic are hopelessly lame, I mean when I started I was mad lame but that was middle school and I grew up. Now I am seriously about to sell my collection and not ever play again and most of the reason is that Magic is just not anything I want to be associated with in the future. When I think Magic I think of a room full of sexless nerds with no clue about real life and even less of a clue about women sitting around playing cards on a Friday night, and I play Magic. It's to a point where I get tired of hiding Magic cards everytime I have some girls rolling through or telling people I'm going to visit some friends out of town when I'm really going to play Magic. Having been around I can safely say that Magic players live outside of reality. If you doubt this watch what happens when a girl (usually one who is busted forreal but is hot to Magic nerds) rolls up to a card shop. Every dork in there is all up on her spitting the weakest shit ever since the other 100% of their life is spent mising decks or making lewd remarks about some shit that they will never get a chance to do to a girl.
Point being Magic is something that should be a hobby, but it is so lame by nature (wizards and unicorns oh my) that it attracts the most lame fools ever and consumes thier life. I am ashamed to even play this card game in public, which is why I don't disclose anything close to personal information on this site forreal. I'm that paranoid that someone will be able to peice together my real identity and that's how lame I think this scene is most of the time thanks to losers like the dude who's "sexual harrassment" post inspired this thread.
Circa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck you, NahHolmes, you fucking sheep.

Who honestly cares what people think about them? I fell into the whole emo/scene group in high school, but that didn't stop me from playing Magic, or thinking any less of the game or the players. I don't tell people right away that I play, but only because I don't see a reason to have to explain what it is half the time.

Like, I have been dating this girl fir 2.5 months now, and she knows I play Magic, but she doesn't have a clue what it is. And I don't feel like explaining it to her, because it is complicated. All I say is that I am a big nerd, and it doesn't matter.

But I am not ashamed of what I do. I am not shallow enough to care what people think of me.

And what you said about Magic players is SO off and fucking ludacris, you trend-following, insecure fuck. Not ALL Magic players are fat geeky nerds. I have traveled quite a bit, and encountered 1, maybe 2, "fat geeky, nerds", but they have turned out to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. Most Magic players are clost-nerds. They usually lead normal lives for their age group, and play Magic as a hobby. I don't think that most Magic players are the way you see them to be. I think you just judge too much on apperances, and you care way too much about what people think of you.

-_-
Buffalo_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3
Circa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3
Taoofss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe in high school, in college, noone really cares what you do. fat chicks, magic, whatever its all cool.
STiL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forreal dawg us bustas know where it's at forreal yo. We be playin our Magic, forreal, then some shorty come up and we be like, this is community service forreal. We gotta hang out with these sexless nerds cause we shanked some cats forreal, not cause we enjoy it or anything, forreal. What's your digits babe, wanna dig this forreal? Hey bitch where you going, come back forreal!

Shit man, I so coulda had her if I wasn't hanging with you geeks, forreal yo. What? Oh, attack phase, tap your blocker, take 13 damage, forreal yo!

Forreal.
WasD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really people dont take Magic seriosly, and they will laught for a lil if you say that you are spending a lot of money on stuff like that, however I cant disagree with them. But on the other hand when I told my friends that i qualified for Nats, they were like "well done, m8" and noone cares that's just a trading card game's nationals. So just dont be too serious about Magic with them.

Also I agree with all what Circa- wrote.
RichardDWade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to clear the air. I agree with alot of what all of you have said. There is complex layers of strategy in magic. Were not all fat geeks. And I don't care what people think of ME, because I'm at a settled point in life. My complaint is what people think of magic players as a whole, and the reasons they won't try it or be associated with it because of the stereotypes... Though, back in the day I remember when Master P referenced M:TG in a song... That was the "height" of magic player cooldom.

p.s. Rikus... Do you luge?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Non-Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5