Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 364 [Judged]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
McDonalds

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menu of Death
3BR
Sorcery
Mythic

Starting with the player to your left, each opponent chooses one for themselves that hasn't already been chosen this turn:
-Take 10 damage
-Discard your hand
-Sacrifice each creature you control
-You lose the game

When faced with so many bad options, some people pick the easy way out. I'm Lovin' It!
Stucco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inter-dimensional Well
Land...........................R

T: An opponent chooses one: You add one mana of any color to your mana pool; or you add <><> to your mana pool.

"At first glance you see the reflection of a vibrant plane. Closer inspection shows a wasted landscape. The well will show you Zendikar's possible outcomes Nissa, nothing more."
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:
Judging tomorrow.
Embarassed
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord_Cuddles wrote:
Logic or Faith
1U
Sorcery
Rare

Reveal the top 3 cards of your library face up in a pile, then put 2 cards from the top of your library face down in a pile. Your opponent chooses a pile. Put that pile into your hand and shuffle the other pile into your library.

A choice is made, to accept information that is known or to accept information that you don't know. Which one will you choose?

-Gretan, Guardian of Knowledge

Creativity: 3/5
Balance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Total: 14/20

Notes: I like the comparison of logic vs. faith - take what you know, or risk what you don't. Seems reasonably balanced although for two mana the potential of drawing two or three cards is a lot. If this had been two piles of two cards, I could see it potentially being 2 mana though as written I would've liked it better at 3 mana.

Grok wrote:
Archdemon of the Academy - 3BBB
Creature - Demon - Mythic
6/6
Flying, trample

When Archdemon of the Academy enters the battlefield, target opponent chooses one for you:
-Search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
-Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
-Choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand.

Why is it that every option on this multiple choice test feels wrong? - Devin Dundlekirk, undergraduate at Tolarian Academy

Creativity: 4/5
Balance: 3/5
Flavor: 6/10
Total: 13/20

Notes: I'm a bit fuzzy on how targets work when your opponent chooses a mode, do they declare the target or do you get to? Depending on how that works this card could go either way - pretty good or just straight terrible. Not sure what an archdemon is doing at an academy though, maybe this could've been 3UBB to push it towards that more.

PJ33 wrote:
Azriel's Ultimatum
2WUG
Sorcery

Azriel's Ultimatum can't be countered.

Your opponent chooses 1:

The player who cast Azriel's Ultimatum gets an additional combat phase this turn.

The player who cast Azriel's Ultimatum gets an Emblem that gives all creatures they control +1/+1.

The player who cast Azriel's Ultimatum may tap up to 4 target creatures.

These are the terms of your surrender.

Flavor: 5/10
Total: 11/20

Notes: Considering there's already a cycle of ultimatums, this doesn't fit the flavor or style of those. That being said, this seems like a fine card that has the potential to blow out a game. There's no rarity listed so I can't appropriately judge the balance of the card. (Also I'm not sure if this was the intent or not but Azriel makes me think of Undertale.)

AlexPistols wrote:
*Card_Name*
UR1
Sorcery
Rare
Target opponent may flip a coin. If he doesn't, draw two cards. If he wins a flip, he draws three cards. If he loses a flip, *Card_Name* deals 10 damage to that player.

Flavor: 4/10
Total: 11/20

Notes: There's no card name or flavor text, so... no flavor? This does seem like an Izzet card though so at least the casting cost matches what the card does. I think the majority of the time this is just a Divination though, sure drawing 3 cards is good but I'd rather not risk half my life total to draw some cards unless I'm certain those three cards will win me the game or I'm reasonably sure that taking 10 damage can be managed.

triplekriz wrote:
RG
Burning Mutation
Sorcery

Split second
Target a creature you control.
Target opponent chooses one:
- The targeted creature gets 2 +1/+1 counters and trample.
- The targeted creature gets "T: This creature deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

The mutation is there. We can only hope to change from it. That requires choice.

Creativity: 5/5
Total: 16/20

Notes: This card is pretty cool. I think it doesn't need Split Second - often your opponent will just choose the counters and then kill whatever creature it is making Split Second irrelevant. Being able to shock every turn is pretty powerful but I don't think it's completely busted. Also, no rarity! >_>

kamphgruppe wrote:
Shared Border Uncommon

Land

When Shared Border enters the battlefield name 2 colors
Target opponent chooses one of the named colors.

Tap: Shared Border produces one mana of the chosen color.

1 Tap: Shared Border produces one mana of the color not chosen

The town of Ren lay at the border between the two great empires, which way her loyalties lay was anyone's guess.

Notes: I like this card quite a lot, it seems like it would have a good home in most EDH decks. Nothing too special, but that's not always a bad thing.

radioactivez wrote:
http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/empress-dilema

Notes: I like the flavor of your opponent choosing what kind of "help" you need. That said, the two options given are really strong for 5 mana. The angel should be a 4/4 and the "Untap five lands." clause is completely unnecessary and pushes it into the realm of busted. Your opponent getting to choose helps mitigate that though.

Antalagor wrote:
Walk of Atonement
2WW - Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, target opponent chooses one that hasn't been chosen
WoA's controller sacrifices half of the lands and half of the creatures he or she controls.
WoA's controller discards half of his or her hand.
WoA's controller loses half of his or her life.
Walk of Atonement's controller wins the game.
(all halves rounded up)

"Pain is the greatest gift to the faithful."

Balance: 2/5
Flavor: 8/10

Notes: The flavor of this is really good. That said, this card is awful. I can't imagine any scenario when I'd want this card in any deck and it would need some serious work to make useful. No rarity!!

Thelemys wrote:
Difficult Patient 3UB
Creature - Human Wizard R
Whenever Difficult Patient enters the battlefield, reveal your hand. Target opponent choses a creature from it. You may play the chosen creature without paying it's manacost but if you do, it enters the battlefield taped. That creature remains taped as long as you control Difficult Patient. If Difficult Patient leaves the battlefield, sacrifice that creature.
"My doctor is schizophrenia, but he's good people."
2/2

Notes: I get the flavor of the creature coming in having to deal with the Difficult Patient, but sacrificing the creature when Difficult Patient dies seems unnecessary.

McDonalds wrote:
Menu of Death
3BR
Sorcery
Mythic

Starting with the player to your left, each opponent chooses one for themselves that hasn't already been chosen this turn:
-Take 10 damage
-Discard your hand
-Sacrifice each creature you control
-You lose the game

When faced with so many bad options, some people pick the easy way out. I'm Lovin' It!

Balance: 2/5
Total: 12/20

Notes: I can't help but laugh at this card, it's hilarious and 100% meant for EDH. However, a card that literally says "An opponent loses the game" is ridiculous and would never be printed.

Stucco wrote:
Inter-dimensional Well
Land...........................R

T: An opponent chooses one: You add one mana of any color to your mana pool; or you add <><> to your mana pool.

"At first glance you see the reflection of a vibrant plane. Closer inspection shows a wasted landscape. The well will show you Zendikar's possible outcomes Nissa, nothing more."

Notes: I can't see any scenario when your opponent would willingly choose the 2 colorless option except if you're starved for colors, but otherwise this is pretty interesting and I could see it as a good color fixing option.

Final Note: Rarity is really, really important to being able to judge the power level of a card. There's no way to know what it's supposed to be based on what's given. Some cards are obviously supposed to be Mythic like Walk of Atonement, but Burning Mutation straddles the line between Uncommon and Rare.

In any case, the winner is triplekriz with Burning Mutation.
Grok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't judge other people's judging, but I think your point system distracts you from evaluating the overall effectiveness of a card. I get that you're trying to weigh flavor greater than the other aspects, but you're missing the forest for the trees.

Take Walk of Atonement for example. You gave it a low score for balance because you wouldn't want to play it. But cards like this are puzzles, and all that this one asks of you is to survive for the next four turns. Instead of backloading the downside as Demonic Pact does, it frontloads it by helping your opponent. I would argue that if your understanding of "balance" is related to printability, then Walk of Atonement would absolutely be printed. It's an exciting win-the-game effect. It's clearly difficult to utilize, but the fact that you aren't inspired by that type of card doesn't mean it's awful. Do you also think Demonic Pact is awful? You have to completely warp your deck around that one too.

As for the winning card, Burning Mutation, I think it's one of the weakest wholistic designs of any other entry (no offense to Triplekriz). It's the main evidence for why you are missing the overall feel of a card for its constituent parts. First of all, it would never be printed in its current form because the second ability doesn't say "until end of turn," which not only creates memory issues but is just an overpowered ability (the first ability also gives permanent trample). The only thing keeping it from being busted is that your opponent chooses what happens, but even then there is literally no choice there; they would always pick the 2 +1/+1 counters unless they were otherwise going to die to trample damage, and if they were and have no removal, they will just die to the 2 damage ping in a couple of turns. If they do have removal, then this is just a worse aura that gives +2/+2. Split second literally means nothing on a sorcery unless giving the creature +2/+2 is getting it out of Lightning Bolt range. But even then, the opponent can just take 2 damage and bolt it if they want a few seconds later.

Nothing about the card is coherent, the abilities are worded poorly and make no sense, and it would never be printed by Wizards. The flavor is okay I guess, but weakened by its relationship with the card mechanics; namely that the card will only mutate in exactly one way 99.9% of the time. Anyway, here's how I would try to fix it:

RG
Burning Mutation
Instant
Uncommon

Target opponent chooses one:
-Put 2 +1/+1 counters on a creature you control of your choice. That creature gains trample until end of turn.
-Deal 2 damage a creature or player of your choice.

I'm fairly certain that this would allow the opponent to choose an ability for you, but you still control that ability and get to choose the targets for it. This wording also makes the card slightly better because you don't have to announce targets until the spell resolves; your opponent can't kill the creature you want to pump in response or know your intended target of the damage before choosing the mode. Maybe that's what Triplekriz was going for with split second in the first place?
Lord_Cuddles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as lengthy, but try to have a balanced judging. Perhaps a sentence devoted to each part?
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a schizophrenic die, both personalities dies with him Wink
+ it's a so good creature in a fatty/grave deck because you can play against grave hate!!! Imagine Griselbrand, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Blazing Archon, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite... And its not a problem to have fatty+multiples Difficult Patients!!!

GG all go next
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelemys wrote:
If a schizophrenic die, both personalities dies with him Wink
+ it's a so good creature in a fatty/grave deck because you can play against grave hate!!! Imagine Griselbrand, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Blazing Archon, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite... And its not a problem to have fatty+multiples Difficult Patients!!!

GG all go next

As a psychologist, I feel it is my duty to correct general ignorance around mental illness. Schizophrenics, do not have multiple personalties, there are multiple types of scizophernia, paranoid typically personified by hearing voices and dellusions. Disorganized is which speech comes out as a bunch of rubbish rather than coherant statements. Schizophrenia is largely hereditary, though it also has other factors, its common onset, is during the pubescent years. It has been linked to the consumption of marijuana, but once again only in pubescent years, where the changes the brain is naturally going through in that period and the changes the THC in marijuana, produce on the brain, have been found to cause schizophrenic like symptoms in some cases. Though research suggests the symptoms are similar, the effect produced may not be the same, as actual schizophrenia.

Multiple personality disorder, is when people have multiple personalities which is entirely different to schizophrenia. It is most commonly related to childhood trauma and the adult wishing to regress back to an infant state, in order to fix the trauma of there childhood and grow up as they should. It is not hereditary at all.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Actually, I knew it about voices. But hearing Griselbrand voice in game is fine to me Wink
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2