Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eldritch Moon Drafting guide Green

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Eldritch Moon Drafting guide Green Reply with quote

Welcome to my 1st attempt at this.

I feel that Since this is the first time I am doing something like this I should give a little background on who I am. I am Mike Lints. I have been playing magic since Mirage. I started being serious about my play Around Odyssey block. I only Play Limited Seriously. I dabble in standard. I play edh mostly for fun and Casual. I consider myself a decent to Tier drafter. I have done 20+ drafts of EMN/EMN/SOI already and done fairly well in each. After the Prerelease I'll be doing more drafts weekly with my group. I may seem very narrow in my thoughts but this because I only Focus on drafting. I will be Doing this Very Similar to LSV.

Links to other colors
White http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18716
Blue http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=177993#177993
Black http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=177999#177999
Red http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/about18723.html
Green
Artifact,Lands,Colorless,Multi http://www.magic-league.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=178017#178017

My Rating System is best of 5. I'll include where in the pack I would look to draft said card and how I feel about the power level of each card. I mostly Still use the BREAK system of drafting.
Bombs: these are amazing and you Slam these down no regrets
Removal: self-explained. Kill things
Evasion: strong flyers, menace. Hard to deal with
Acceptable: I'll play it... but I want to upgrade.
KRAP: Refuse to play. I will scoop before I play.

Without Further Delay Lets dive in shall we,

Green

I would look for this mind pack. This is decent as a 4/3 grounder but ig you get delirium it gets much better, a 5/4 trampler is very nice. It is slightly weak without delirium though.

3.5-4
I would look for this early to mid-pack. This does start weak as a 2/3 but notice it states sacrifice a permanent. So clues work. You may see less clues in this format as only 1 pack has them. Any sacrifice pumps this guy.

I would look for this mid-pack. This is a very effective 2 for 1. not only is this a combat trick but it can kill a second creature as well. Notice the opponent's creature does NOT fight back.

I would not look for this. It self-mills you and does Nothing until you get delirium and it threatens to actually take delirium away from you. This is more a delirium disabler than enabler.

I would look for this late-pack. This ia more or less a slightly better anointer of champions. It only effects humans which is most fo the field. Sadly it costs you a mana which may have issues at time but this is still fine

I would look for this early. The ability to upgrade a 3 drop to a much better 5 drop. You turn an okish creature into one of your bombs. Why draw your bomb when you can just fetch them right up. Oh,you already drew your bomb, then get something else.

I would look for this early to mid-pack. Once this survives one turn you get to have a removal dodging tool for any of your non-Eldrazi creatures. You can upgrade a bunch of them or you can save them from combat. The combos with this are very potent.

I would not look for this. 4 mana wasted to draw 2 cards if I cast an Eldrazi...There are not enough Eldrazi in this set to care. You would have to play 3 at least to get your investment worth.

I would not look for this. 3 mana for a 1/1 you better be super impressive. The tutor here is ok. In fact its the only good thing here. You have a 3 drop 1/1 that has no effect as none of the emerge guys are worth playing. Emerge is a bad ability as its a 2 for 1. you chuck a perfectly good card to get a second card. So you put yourself behind already. Sure this guy gives you another person but the setting up is too much investment

I would look for this early to mid-pack. A 1/1 deathtouch is already a problem as it is hard to trade with you either hold back and they do not swing their bomb, or you push in damage with pseudo-evasion. If you get Delirium this becomes a more aggressive deathtoucher.

I would look for this late and I would only play it in a deck with only creatures. I have bad luck with this kind of card. I'll play this and mill 3 removal spells and have no creatures or lands to grab. I would have to wait for a creature I want to be dead before I cast.

2.5(because no new picture. But really a 3.5
I would look for this mid-pack but early also. There are way too many humans in this set. Having a whole team anthem when swinging is very nice. If you somehow do not have many humans then I would understand siding the Captain out.

I would look for this early. I want to call this a bomb, I just can't you will only cast this with delirium so you get 4 bodies for 5 mana but none of those bodies is really amazing. Also there are not many other spiders in this set or SOI so you will not get to abuse the ability here. If you want 4 creatures for 5 mana, (who doesn't?) then this is your man...er I mean spider

I would look for this mid-pack. Elite Vanguard is ok on turn 1... EVERY turn after he sucks he gets more and more awful the longer the game goes on. So what I am saying is if you draw this turn 1 you are happy. If not, then this is a 6 mana 4/4 that they must 1 v 1. that is ok but not too much to growl at.

I would look for this early. Hello wild mongrel, you have changed over the years. Now you are a snake. Neat, you traded in your color changing (which is not really relevant now) for Reach (which is actually relevant) Cool. Yeah, I like this guy as he is a constant discard engine with no restrictions. Let me say that again. NO restrictions. So fully embrace the madness and constrict your opponents to death.

I would look fort his early. This is a very hard card to evaluate. You drop this and combat will cease. As no one wants to turn anything better than this into this. That being said, once this starts morphing things you have to watch out because the opponent will have an army of these and you do not want to turn your bombs into these. It can attack so that be a way to push damage in. Expect this to draw out removal often.

I would look for this early to mid-pack. The original fight card. Sadly I have to knock this rating down some. In triple SOI rapid bite was Horrible it was borderline undraftable. I know what it says it just rarely worked out that way. This was very good before and if Rapid bite which reads like a better card was horrible then I wonder exactly what it is we are preying upon. With that said I am still hoping this can be as good as it was before.

I would look for this late pack. Sure this can be ramp but only if you chump block. And being 3 defense he does not chump block very well. It may take tthem afew turns to actualy kill this. The question is when do you want your ramp or to fetch out your splash color?

3 once you flip 3.5
I would look for this guy early to mid pack. 3 mana for a decent ability is fine, that ability is a way to evade weaker creatures. Nice. Sadly you may have to flip this quick. Because it trades with the first blocker they find. Once flipped it gains some defense and if they still have issues blocking it, then you get friends.

I would look for this mid-pack. This is a 5 mana removal spell that only kills 4 toughness creatures. Most of the time this will not survive the fight it starts. If you can get it to survive then you have a very nice creature.

3.5 If you went more into werewolves than the rating increases to 4.5
I would look for this early and draft around it. A 3/3 for 3 is already good, the fact that you can flash this on an unsuspecting 2 drop is very nice.Then add in the ability to flash this to save your amry from bad combats, damage removal/fight or just to help them survive. You an Alpha wolf who I am glad to have on my side.

You would have to send me back in time to the draft after I found out that I needed this in my deck for me to look for it. Unless you can somehow get 3+ lands off this every time then why are you running this. Even the most dedicated mill Self-mill decks risk milling this away with the lands. This is not going to work right most of the time. There is Nothing splendid about this.

I would look for this late pack. Hello, sideboard card. If you start game 1 with this, I implore you to seek help. Every good mage knows that this effect is best left on the sidelines until you know you need it. I do not mind bringing this in once i notice my opponent enchanting the world. Even then it's a slow naturalize.

I would look for this late pack. This is giant spider. He traded in one toughness to get flash. I am not happy with this trade. Sure he may blindside one opponent but after that, he is weak to a whole ton of removal that hit 4 toughness would have shrugged off.

I would look for this early to mid pack.
This is a good blocker to start it can block 2 guys and die or maybe kill one and die. That is fine. Once you invest in the flip ( I swear this guy should just have Monstrosity) you can do some smacking of your own, this guy must be blocked so it can draw in blockers if they have a low amount of them. And with a 6 toughness is blocks 2 people much better.

I would look for this mid-pack. This is a fine ramp creature he is 2 mana for a body and he makes mana. That is ramp. He cannot swing but he should not as he is there to make mana. Flipping this is just plain out of boredom. It takes WAY too much mana to flip this. For all that trouble you get a 4/6 that really is ok attacking but should have been attacking 2-3 turns earlier as now it is probably outclassed. I guess late game you can top deck this, and try to flip at the end of their turn. But that is 9 mana. No game should go on that long.

I would look for this early. Even if you get Zero cards off this. (which is hard seeing as he triggers himself) this guy is good. 6 mana for a 6/6 is a fine rate and this can brawl with most of the set and come out ahead. He has observed long and knows how to handle himself. He does require you to make it to 6 mana so that can be a challenge at times.

0 unless you got 1-3 or more werewolves than its a 4
I would not look for this until; I had 3+ werewolves. Notice this does say Werewolf. So there are many cases when this does not flip. This basically only flips red or green double faced cards. That being said there are plenty with horrible flip costs that this just cheats. Look at Ulvenwald Captive, you flip that with this and you can potential blow out an opponent. Using this with the EMN creatures who Do not flip back is really powerful. Although using it with the SOI ones who do flip back is ok. Be warned it only works for you, you cannot flip your opponents creatures back to their "bad" sides Wink

I would look for this mid-pack.. This is a knightly Valor with out all the rewards. They expect the same mana fro the slightly same effect. Yes, this is not a normal aura as if they kill the creature you still have the wolf. The bad part is you did not get vigilance which normally came with valor. More or less you are paying 4 mana for the wolf. This would be better if it turned the creature it enchanted into a wolf also.

I would look for this mid-pack. Giant growth got a 2 mana tax added to it just for hexproof... I guess that's the rate now. This is still worth the investment and can make most combats swing back to your favor. Just at 3 mana this is a little more expensive than I like.

I would look for this around picks 4-7. this is very unimpressive as a 3 mana 3/2 vigilance is just not too amazing. Yes, it's a good card. It just does not have much flash potential. It's green doing what it does. Right body, right place, and decently aggressive, just watch that 2 toughness. I remember a time when we paid 3 mana for 3/3s they were Centaurs. Ah, the good old days.

That wraps up green. I think green got jipped. They got 1-2 good cards but the rest of it is just so bland. We are on Innistraid and green does not know how to be anything but ordinary here. Little interaction and just playing big bodies hoping they do not get outclassed. Personally, I avoid green in this format as it has Too many DFC cards. I still rate green as the Worst of the 5 colors in this set. Since this is not about me. I guess green came out about even. It can carry itself and pairs nicely with each color.

Draft Smart and I hope you do well in all your EMN booster drafts

Last edited by radioactivez on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I do not always agree with your assessment I have quite enjoyed reading these and appreciate the effort put into producing them.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
Although I do not always agree with your assessment I have quite enjoyed reading these and appreciate the effort put into producing them.

Thankyou
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1