Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 364 - Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Grok

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: CAC 364 - Judged Reply with quote

Wow, I won a contest I didn't even intend to enter. I only posted that raptor card I designed years ago because it was so similar to Csquared's card, but I'll take it.

Please read the following instructions carefully.

I want to try an experiment this week. Parallel designs always fascinate me, because it shows how similarly some people's minds work to find the same solution to a problem.

Your challenge is to design a card for a pirate world set based on this artwork:

Most importantly, don't post your designs until next Thursday, June 23. The idea is for everyone to put up their designs at the same time. That way you will be surprised by what others came up with, and we'll see if anyone had the same idea.

Last edited by Grok on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea...

HOWEVER:
1) It will not fulfill the requirements of a CaC to appease my boredom at work.

2) I want to see all the designs NOW!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a way to post spoilers on this forum?
Send design by mp?
Jacois

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship in a bottle
Artifact

Morph

When it's next thursday, turn this card faceup.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a small issue as we need a time to post. or what we could do is submit our Entries to Grok via cockatrice pm this way no one see's any other design until we see them all.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is it at?
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

READY
Lord_Cuddles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica
Artifact
Rare

4: Copy target permanent. If the copy is a creature, it gets -2/-2 and defender.

"Arr, what do you mean we're just a toy for youngsters? I'm the feared Dread Pirate Roberts! Fear me!"

-Squeaky voice of a miniaturized Westley, pirate captain
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bottle in the Sea 2B
Ritual R
Search your library for a nonland card and exile it face down. Then shuffle your library.
If an opponent casts a spell with the same converted mana cost as the exiled card, you may play it without paying it's mana cost.
If you find this bottle, it may lead to a treasure.

edit : card becomes nonland card

Last edited by Thelemys on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
radioactivez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lost-relic-1
Stucco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewed Hope...1WG
Instant.................U

Choose one or both -
Exile target artifact or enchantment.
Creatures you control gain lifelink and vigilance until the end of turn.

Freed of the sea witch's curse, the crew began charting their journey home.
Grok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people replied, so I guess my experiment wasn't too popular. Maybe next time we try something like this, I will ask for submissions via PM so people don't forget about it. Anyway, might as well judge what I have!

AxiomBlurr
Quote:
Pirate's Red Herring U

Instant - Rare

Exile target permanent, its controller then puts a token copy of the exiled permanent onto the battlefield.

"Aw tis a ship in a bottle says I. Wrong! Tis a bottle around a ship I says."
Pirate's drinking game number 1264321.

I like this card. It's a simple design that functions very similarly to Cloudshift and its ilk, but with a twist. If you have a lot of bounce spells in your deck, you can exile your opponent's creature or land or enchantment and bounce the token to deal with it permanently, or use it to double up on ETB effects. I am also a fan of how you interpreted the art, where the player could be trapping anything inside the bottle. I guess I wish it was a little more obvious, which would have the case if your card made the creature token smaller or given it the artifact type.

Stucco
Quote:
Renewed Hope...1WG
Instant.................U

Choose one or both -
Exile target artifact or enchantment.
Creatures you control gain lifelink and vigilance until the end of turn.

Freed of the sea witch's curse, the crew began charting their journey home.

You focused on the fact that the art depicts the pirates escaping from the bottle and made an interesting little toolbox card. I'm definitely on board with the first option, where exiling the bottle makes perfect sense flavorwise. I guess the second part makes sense, where your creatures get powered up after escaping, but for some reason the people in the art don't scream lifelink and vigilance to me. I would have preferred something like +1/+1 to show their new strength.

Radioactivez
Quote:
Lost Relic - 3 - Uncommon

{t}: add {c} to your mana pool.
{2}{t}: place an aged counter on Lost Relic. If at any time Lost relic has 4 or more aged counters on it, remove all counters and exile Lost Relic. Gain one life for each counter removed in this way.

I like what you were going for with this; a mana rock that has a secondary ability representing the escape from the bottle. However, I don't really get why the second ability is so weak or why they are called aged counters. Something like pressure counters would make more sense, and I think you could have powered it up by automatically putting a counter on it whenever it gets tapped for mana. Finally, the last ability is usually going to be detrimental. Losing your mana source to gain 4 life is not ideal in most board states, so it should at least replace itself. My design would be something like this:

Lost Relic - 3 - Uncommon
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool, then put a pressure counter on Lost Relic. When Lost Relic has 5 or more pressure counters on it, sacrifice it and draw a card.

Sort of a fixed Mind Stone.

Thelemys
Quote:
Bottle in the Sea 2B
Ritual R
Search your library for a nonland card and exile it face down. Then shuffle your library.
If an opponent casts a spell with the same converted mana cost as the exiled card, you may play it without paying it's mana cost.
If you find this bottle, it may lead to a treasure.

Cool! I love cards that play mind games with your opponent, and this is one of the better examples I've seen. Probably unplayable in limited, but in constructed you could do silly things like grab a Force of Will that will automatically counter your opponent's Force whenever they cast it. The only problem is that you didn't mention if it is an instant or sorcery. I guess being an instant wouldn't be too overpowered because even if you cast it in response to your opponent's spell, it wouldn't immediately trigger. Nice design, and it fits the ship in a bottle motif, except for the fact that the bottle in the art is clear, implying that you should be able to see the card they got.

Lord_Cuddles
Quote:
Replica
Artifact
Rare

4: Copy target permanent. If the copy is a creature, it gets -2/-2 and defender.

"Arr, what do you mean we're just a toy for youngsters? I'm the feared Dread Pirate Roberts! Fear me!"

-Squeaky voice of a miniaturized Westley, pirate captain

I appreciate the Princess Bride reference, and purely in terms of flavor you nailed the idea of making a model of another creature or ship inside a bottle. It's also nice that you can cycle through different copies whenever you want, but I wonder if the ability should only work at sorcery speed. Still, the card seems balanced enough and is definitely creative. This was the kind of thing I was expecting to see more variations of.

Jacois
Quote:
Ship in a bottle
Artifact

Morph

When it's next thursday, turn this card faceup.

You broke the rules by posting too early! Seriously though, I know this was a joke but if this was for an Unset, I kind of like the trolly idea of a card that can never flip unless you literally sit there playing the game for days (or maybe you time the game to start right before midnight on Wednesday evening).

Overall, I guess my experiment was a failure. Maybe the art was too generic and I should have included more conditions (like make it a blue artifact card with CMC 4), but no one really had any parallel designs. Still, it was fun to try something new and I was curious how you all would make cards without seeing what other people came up with first. I know that sometimes I see a card submission so great that I don't even bother to design anything myself, because I know it will be worse. At least that didn't happen this week.

The winner is Thelemys, with a really fun minigame card that interprets the art in a unique way. The runner up is Lord_Cuddles, who probably had the design closest to what I imagined when I chose the art.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used "Aged" counters to show the age of the bottle as it was a lost relic.
Stucco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJ Thelemys

First mode was the broken curse
Second mode was the outlook of the freed crew and a tie to the card name.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg all
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1