Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 357

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: CaC 357 Reply with quote

Thanks to derflippi for the win!

For this challenge, I'd like to pull from the poll that was around recently where Magic players voted on a theme for a set they'd most like to see printed. The winner of that poll was Egyptian themed. Reference: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/633447-maros-new-world-tumblr-poll-results

So, for this CaC, the challenge is as follows:

Create a card that fits the theme of a top-down designed, Ancient Egypt-flavored set. You may create new mechanics, introduce new characters, or do anything else you feel would be appropriate.

Recommended reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egypt
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/108527562243/if-there-was-a-egypt-plane-will-there-be-more
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/84020092526/since-egypt-lacks-forests-or-heavily-wooded-areas
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-general/330467-what-is-top-down-design

As always, I will judge cards as follows:

Creativity: The "wow" factor and how unique I think the card is. Functional reprints and repeats of other, similar cards will score low in this category. Worth 5 points.

Balance: How appropriate the power level is based on the rarity. Worth 5 points.

Flavor: How much the card evokes a story and how well the mechanics on the card embody the name of the card or the character it portrays. This is especially important for this challenge. Worth 10 points.

All categories are purely my opinion.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked all your links...most of it is just 1 reply and a bunch of "likes" So nothing really to go on. the wikipedia helped a little. Honestly I think egypt has nothing for mtg to draw off. Look at Theors and the gods...this was horrible as there was nothing greek about them. Was looking for Zeus, Hera, or anything to that degree.

Preserving the Dead 1B
Rare
Enchantment

Whenever a creature dies, Exile it instead.
As long as there are 5 or more creatures exiled ~ Gains 2B: Return any number of creatures exiled to their owner's graveyards. Put a black and white mummified corpse token with Decay into play with power toughness equal to the number of exiled creatures Returned in this way.

Explanations:
A Separate card would be made for the token.

Also, the keyword "Decay" would be introduced in the set.

Keyword Decay Triggered ability. During the controller's upkeep a creature with decay gets a -1/-1 counter placed upon it.

The idea is that Egyptians took special care of their dead and preserved the bodies very well. Creatures are exiled to be better preserved than they return as mummified corpses with decay as time spent out of a tomb would cause a mummy to unravel and slowly weaken. The p/t change shows how much time was spent preserving the body.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk like an Egyptian WW
Enchantment - Aura *Uncommon*

Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
"When in Egypt, do as the egyptians do."
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Walk like an Egyptian WW

Enchant creature

Your card made me laugh... why the heck would you take te creature then? cute and comical.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flood Irrigation - W
Enchantment - Aura - Uncommon
Enchant land
Enchanted land has "Tap: Add UU, UG or GG to your mana pool."
When he rises, the land is in exultation and everybody is in joy . . .
OctoOoze

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonlit Pyramid

Land-Rare

Tap: Add B or W to your mana pool.

Moonlit Pyramid enters the battlefield tapped unless combined all players control 2 or more other tapped lands.

This would be in a cycle of enemy colored rare lands. (RW, BG, UR and UG being the other color combos)
Stucco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse of the King's Sarcophagus............. {}
Enchantment - Aura Curse........................R

Enchant Player

Curse of the King's Sarcophagus is black.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, you may cast Curse of the King's Sarcophagus without paying it's mana cost.
Whenever a creature attacks enchanted player, that creature gains infect until the end of turn.

Those who enter shall receive a king's gift.

Clarification: No cmc because one has to enter the cursed tomb (deal combat damage) for the curse to take effect.

Last edited by Stucco on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:
Jacois wrote:
Walk like an Egyptian WW

Enchant creature

Your card made me laugh... why the heck would you take te creature then? cute and comical.

In my head I was thinking of slaves building the pyramid. Then I was thinking of someone infiltrating the egyptians as a spy, so I was going to give a creature to the opponent as a slave. Then I got the old Bangles song, "Walk like an Egyptian", in my head and thought that White could represent the desert (like in Time Spiral with all the nomads) and that people could be coerced/forced into the Egyptian way of life against their will.

Of course game play this is just a WW pacifism that allows you to abuse Tap abilities or sac outlets, so it's a pretty neat card regardless.

I was laughing while making it too. Very Happy
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
radioactivez wrote:
Jacois wrote:
Walk like an Egyptian WW

Enchant creature

In my head I was thinking of slaves building the pyramid. Then I was thinking of someone infiltrating the egyptians as a spy, so I was going to give a creature to the opponent as a slave. Then I got the old Bangles song, "Walk like an Egyptian", in my head and thought that White could represent the desert (like in Time Spiral with all the nomads) and that people could be coerced/forced into the Egyptian way of life against their will.

Of course game play this is just a WW pacifism that allows you to abuse Tap abilities or sac outlets, so it's a pretty neat card regardless.

Is a wonderful card! OP...almost. Great entry!
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
radioactivez wrote:
Jacois wrote:
Walk like an Egyptian WW

Enchant creature

Thankyou for taking time to explain as I was serious I liked your submission regardless of outcome.

Stucco...what is your cards Casting cost??? {} is not a value.

I know I post asking questions about cards and trying to correct some cards I just cannot help myslef even though its not my job to vote.
Lord_Cuddles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horus, Falcon's Eye
4WR
Legendary Artifact Creature-God
Mythic Rare

Indestructible
First Strike
If you control less than 5 Hieroglyphic permanents, ~ is not a creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose one:

[list] ~deals 3 damage to target creature, and you gain 3 life
Put a 1/1 Falcon Hieroglyphic token with flying onto the battlefield
Scry 2

5/4

Explanations:

Artifact due to Egypt having things written in stone rather than paper, Artifact had a higher flavor than enchantment.
    Normal things for a God (Indestructible, legendary, etc.)
    Hieroglyphic tokens are similar to Devotion, I thought of it as a way across most permanents, as they have their magic system around them (according to the Kane Chronicles).
    Modal ability do to it's multiples duties as a god.
    The Lightning Helix-esque ability involved Horus as the god of war and hunting.
    The falcon spawning are because of his patron animal, the falcon.
    The scrying was because of the Eye of Horus, an "all-seeing eye"
kenny18O

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water into blood RRR

enchantment uncommon

if an island is tapped for mana, it produce R instead of any other type.

explanation : it's the first of the ten plagues of egypt, this would be in a cycle of ten cards representing them, probably some color hate sideboard cards
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akhenaten's Decree 2WB

Sorcery - Rare

Each player, starting with you, sacrifices a number of permanents equal to the number of lands he or she controls.

"Aten shall shine forth, but it is we who must pave his path." - Akhenaten to Nefertiti.

NOTE: this card relates to the Amarna period of Egyptian history when Amenhotep IV retitled himself Akhenaten and chose Aten the sun god as the main deity of Egypt. He subsequently began to erase inscriptions, priests, objects and worshippers of other gods from Egypt. The bigger sects of religious Egypt were hit the hardest, Temple of Osiris etc.. The bigger the following, the more Akhenaten's Decree hurts.
Stucco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:
Jacois wrote:
radioactivez wrote:
Jacois wrote:
Walk like an Egyptian WW

Enchant creature

Thankyou for taking time to explain as I was serious I liked your submission regardless of outcome.

Stucco...what is your cards Casting cost??? {} is not a value.

I know I post asking questions about cards and trying to correct some cards I just cannot help myslef even though its not my job to vote.

That's the point, see cards like Evermind and Living End.
triplekriz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sphinx of the Top Bottom
2UG
Legendary Creature- Sphinx

Flying

At the beginning of each upkeep, look at the top card of your library, you may place it on the bottom of your library.

4/4

Hmm. The nose is broken. I wonder where it went...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2