Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 355 - Judged

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to judge, here we go!

radioactivez wrote:
Knight of Lost Spark 3WW
Rare
Creature-knight

When ~ enters the battlefield you may return target planeswalker card from your graveyard to your hand.
You may not cast a walker with the same name as returned this turn.

3/3

Creativity: 3/5
Balance: 3/5
Flavor: 6/10
Total: 12/20

This is a tough card to evaluate in a vacuum in terms of power and balance. On the one hand, the fact that you can't cast the planeswalker you return immediately implies that you've already had a planeswalker and have had it died, so I can't imagine this guy being cast until turn 7 or 8 at the earliest in which case you're extremely unlikely to be able to cast the planeswalker the same turn as this guy anyway. On the other hand, the fact that you can rebuy a planeswalker is extremely powerful and can sometimes be the thing you need to win a game on the spot. If we look at in terms of Modern or Legacy where 5-drops and planeswalkers themselves are very rarely used, it's bad. If we look at it in terms of Standard, it's borderline playable. A 3/3 for 5 isn't great but re-using your planeswalkers is really good. As for flavor, I have no idea why a Knight is involved with the spark of a planeswalker unless they're avenging said planeswalker... overall weird flavor.

Jacois wrote:
Night Knight BW

Creature - Human Knight *Uncommon*
First Strike, Deathtouch
"Sleep tight."
2/2

Balance: 2/5
Flavor: 7/10

Sometimes simple is best, and this card tickles my fancy even if you didn't know what to do. BW Knights aren't common, but they do pop up occasionally and this card fills the criteria for that type of Knight. That being said, first strike and deathtouch are extremely powerful when combined and have only been used on uncommons twice in the history of all of Magic and they require extreme investments of mana to make that combination happen. The closest card to this is Glissa, the Traitor, which is a mythic rare. I feel like this should be a rare or should perhaps be a 2/1 with a mana requirement to give it either first strike or deathtouch.

AlexPistols wrote:
Ethersworn Punisher
WUB
Artifact Creature - Vedalken Knight
Exalted, Lifelink, Deathtouch.
1/2

Creativity: 2/5
Total: 11/20

Hello Vampire Nighthawk, meet your little mechanical brother. Without knowing rarity, I find it extremely difficult to assign this a proper score. I'm going to assume this was supposed to be an Uncommon, because that's where it feels like a good fit for me. As far as flavor goes, Esper doesn't usually have Exalted so that's an odd choice. Esper probably would've given this flying, but then we have a functional reprint of Vampire Nighthawk that is almost certainly worse in every way.

Grok wrote:
The Black Knight - 2BB
Creature - Knight - Rare

The Black Knight enters the battlefield with 4 +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever The Black Knight is dealt combat damage, remove a +1/+1 counter from it, then you may put a +1/+1 counter on another target Knight creature you control.

0/1

It's just a flesh wound!

Creativity: 4/5
Balance: 4/5
Total: 15/20

I am familiar with Monty Python and the Holy Grail, though I appreciate the flavor explanation. As a top-down design, I think you nailed it except for moving counters from one creature to another. The phrasing I think I would have preferred would be: "Whenever The Black Knight is dealt combat damage, instead prevent that damage and remove a +1/+1 counter from The Black Knight. If there are no +1/+1 counters on The Black Knight, it gains indestructible." This fits templating of similar cards and is perfectly flavorful. As far as power level goes, 4/5's for 4 in Black are getting exceedingly common and this is a good twist on that theme.

kenny18O wrote:
Lone Wolf, Grand Master Kaï 1WW

Legendary Creature : Knight mythic

exalted

When Lone Wolf die if it's power is 3 or more, return it to the battlefield transformed under your control, then create a legendary 2/2 white knight creature token named Black Hawk onto the battlefield.

2/2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sommerfeld

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has vigilance and protection from the black.

As long as equipped creature is a legendary Knight it gets an addition +1/+1 and has double strike and lifelink.

{W} {W} {W}: Attach Sommerfeld to target Knight you control.

Equip {5}

based on the series of gamebook " Lone Wolf"

Flavor: 5/10

So this is a card I would've also appreciated a flavor explanation for, as I have no idea what the Lone Wolf gamebooks are. I have to assume its at least close to what the flavor of the books is. For balance, this is amazingly easy to transform and once it's flipped it has the potential to be on the level of Batterskull, perhaps even beyond. That being said, there aren't all that many Legendary Knights - only 11 total - and only 4 of them are on-color for this card. Still, in my magical Christmasland I'm imagining this on Rafiq of the Many which terrifies me.

Stucco wrote:
Dourgoth the Nefarious............1BBWW
Legendary Creature - Zombie Knight......M

Other Knight creatures you control get +1/+1
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1

Whenever a non-Zombie creature you control dies, return it to the battlefield under your control. That creature is a black Zombie Knight in addition to its other colors and types.

4/4

Creativity: 5/5
Balance: 5/5
Total: 16/20

This card is so cool. I'd love to see this in a deck with Haakon. It seems on point balance wise. I know flavor text wouldn't really fit on a card with that much text, but it definitely would have helped make sure the flavor was there.

Thelemys wrote:
The Solitary 2BB
Legendary Creature - Knight Assassin R
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, his or her owner sacrifices all other creatures he or she controls.
"Once you see how peacefull loneliness is, you don't want to deal with people anymore."
5/5

Flavor: 3/10
Total: 10/20

Flavor Judge!!!! Knight... Assassin? Those two things seem mutually exclusive to me. Their practices are pretty much complete opposites of one another. That being said, this card is pretty cool and I like the ability. The only problem with this power-wise is that it doesn't do anything when it enters the battlefield, which means it's really easy to play around. This might as well read "players can't cast creature spells".

TheRealPlaty wrote:
Jerrard, The Avenging Captain 4WW

Rare Legendary Creature - Knight

Flash

When ~ enters the battlefield Knights you control gain, If this creature were to die this turn instead regenerate it and put a copy of it onto the battlefield.

5/5
They once said that the knights were a weak and stoppable force but once Jerrard came they were unstoppable

Total: 14/20

Talk about a bomb for Knights. While high-costed for the Knights theme, this is definitely at least a 2-of in most Knight decks. It is borderline win-more, though, since you definitely want to use this on a very favorable boardstate. Using this card would be an absolute last-ditch "I can't allow you to kill my board." As your flavor-text says, Knights are a relatively weak archetype and this would push them that much closer to overall playability.

Lord_Cuddles wrote:
Knight of the Kentucky Fried Chicken
1WR
Legendary Creature-Knight
Rare

When ~ enters the battlefield, go to KFC and buy a 5 Dollar Fill Up. Put it to the side.
If either player eats from the Five Dollar Fill Up, they lose the game.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, put a Tasty Counter on ~ unless that person pays (3). Then, if there 10 or more Tasty Counters on ~, sacrifice ~ and target player loses the game. Give them the cookie.
1/4

We've heard that McDonalds has been sponsoring M-L, so now we want to advertise here too!

One of these days we're going to have a "sponsored cards" CaC. Today is not that day.

Mrrr wrote:
The Knights Who Say "Ni"

W

When The Knights Who Say "Ni" enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Shrubbery card, and put that card into your hand.

Whenever a Shrubbery enters the battlefield under your control, transform The Knights Who Say "Ni".

0/2

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Knights who say "Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing!"

tap, sacrifice a Shrubbery: put an 8/8 Roger the Shrubber token with Shrubwalk into play.

0/79

Creativity: 2/5

Hehehehehe, this card makes me smile. Unfortunately, it's missing a lot of templating pieces and is trying to beat the superior "The Black Knight" card Grok submitted.

OctoOoze wrote:
Knight of Burning Rage - RR
Creature - Knight Soldier - R
Haste, First Strike

When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals X damage to each player where X is the number of knights you control.

“A true knight is fuller of bravery in the midst, than in the beginning of danger.”

2/2

Total: 13/20

Okay, so, this is interesting. A 2/2 haste first strike for 2 is nothing new, but the ability for this card to reach up and smack your opponent seems quite good. Knight decks often have trouble getting those last few points of damage through, so this would be a welcome addition to almost any Knight deck. As far as flavor goes, Knights don't really rage - that's more of a warrior thing. The saving grace for the flavor of this card is the card Shrine of Burning Rage and if Knights are anything, they're pious and worship at shrines. A red Knight worshipping at a red-oriented shrine is quite good flavor-wise.

McDonalds wrote:
McDonald's Sponsorship Knight (3GB) (Creature) (Knight) (Rare)

Soulbond

As long as McDonald's Sponsorship Knight is paired with another creature or website, both of them have "Tap: Destroy target permanent sponsored by a company other than McDonald's."

3/4

We are facing enemies from all sides; gambling, inferior fried chicken, and a faltering economy. But when Magic-League and McDonald's work together, we can accomplish anything.

See my comment for Lord_Cuddle's card.

AxiomBlurr wrote:
Helfram, Elysiumfire Elite 1WR

Legendary Creature - Human Knight - Rare

First strike, Haste, Vigilance, Lifelink

Whenever Helfram, Elysiumfire Elite attacks or blocks, it deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is equal to the number of Knight permanents you control.

2/2

"Elysiumfire cleansed our foes and lit the righteous path ahead." - Tome of Purity.

Balance: 1/5
Flavor: 5/10

The first thing I'll say is that this has wayyyyy too many keywords for a rare. It might be fine if the combat ability wasn't there, but as it stands this is really pushed for a rare. Red/White Knights is one of my favorite archetypes though and I'd love to see this in that deck even if it is pretty busted. Going to the dome with the damage is almost always preferable, and as I mentioned earlier Knights needs that sort of reach to close out games. The other problem with this is that the Lifelink triggers off of the damage ability which is also insane.

Lord_Cuddles wrote:
Gilthunder, Protector of the Realm
4WR
Legendary Creature: Human Knight
Mythic Rate

First Strike
Lifelink
Vigilance
Protection from Black

When ~ enters the battlefield, Gilthunder deals 4 damage to target creature or player aand you gain 4 life.

4/6

Total: 11/20

At least this is a mythic rare, so the number of keywords isn't completely unreasonable. The enter the battlefield ability makes it resemble Siege Rhino, but much more fairly costed at 6 mana. It being Legendary isn't relevant, however, as often you'll just want to cast this in multiples just for the enter the battlefield effect. I don't think this was intentional, but the lifelink makes it so that you gain 8 life and not just 4 as well, which is a huge swing.

derflippi wrote:
Aspiring Knight - WW
Creature - Human Knight (Rare)
Whenever a Knight enters the battlefield under your control, choose First Strike, Menace, Trample. or Vigilance. Aspiring Knight gains that ability.
He never stopped learning
3/2

Creativity: 5/5
Flavor: 8/10
Total: 17/20

This card is sweet! As a Knight deck you definitely want to flood the board with Knights, and this guy encourages that play-style very well. The choices you have can all be relevant at one point or another without being broken. I can't really find any faults with this card, to be entirely honest.

Marcus675 wrote:
Folk Hero of the Hills 1GR

Creature-Human Knight Uncommon

Vigilance

When ~ attacks, ~ gets +X/X, where X is the number of other knights you control.

He took a stand against evil to protect his people of his home.

1/2

Total: 15/20

A GR Knight, you say? Interesting. This card isn't all that powerful, strictly speaking, but it is quite cool and I like that it synergizes and scales up the more Knights you play. The fact that it's an uncommon is quite fitting for the power level. The only problem I see with this is that it's not White, which is Knights' most populous color making this difficult to incorporate.

-----

And that's it! Thanks everyone for your submissions. The winner for this CaC is derflippi with their incredibly cool Aspiring Knight. Runner up is Stucco with Dourgoth the Nefarious.

One thing I would like to say though is that it was interesting that everyone chose to make Knights rather than a card that interacted with Knights. Oh well, thanks again to everyone!
Grok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a "sponsorship" contest, and derflippi is just the man to do it, seeing as he has influence with that sort of thing.

I think the reason many people chose to make Knight creatures that interacted with other Knights is because they misread your two options as two requirements (at least I did). Otherwise I would have made a Knight that didn't necessarily interact with other Knights, or at least a non-creature card like Knightly Valor.

I'd also like to point out a card I think you underrated, Thelemys' The Solitary. I think the idea of a "loner" mechanic, like we saw in AVR, works really well on a Knight who defends his honor alone. It may be a little overpowered, but I think the flavor is a home run on this one, so I'm not sure why it got such a low score.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Grok! Yes my card was a loner, may be it would have been better as a Duelist flavor.

Assassin may be too much (I thought of it like "The hound" in Game of Thrones).

Grok I liked your card a lot too, it made me laugh.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3