Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 348 {Judged}

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
IvanDano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surrender to Darkness

BB

Enchantment

Rare

During each player's upkeep, that player pays 1 or discards a card at random from their hand.

Last edited by IvanDano on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
kamphgruppe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Thought Disruption Reply with quote

Thought Disruption BG - Rare

Enchantment

Whenever a player draws a card beyond their first for the turn, that player loses 2 life.

An oppressive foreboding feeling set in the moment Xan entered Golgari lands. It was painful to even think!
skeven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless bat (B)
flying 2/2 uncommon
when this creature enters the battlefield sacrifice a land,
unless you controle atleast 2 other black creatures
johnpyp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before judging, I'm gonna restate what a taxing effect is:

1) Usually static, so its affect lasts for however long it is on the battlefield or whatnot.

2) Most of the time punishes (like Thalia).

3) Often doesn't come with a benefit for you other than taxing your opponent (or both players).

Example of a not-taxing effect: Draw 5 cards. Your opponent can discard X cards to reduce this number by X.

Example of a taxing effect: If your opponent would draw a card, you may discard a card. If you do, that player doesn't draw a card.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go judge Johnpyp
johnpyp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelemys:
Quote:
Invading Beast 3RG
Creature - Beast R
Trample
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player taps a land he or she controls for each creature with a power of 5 or more you control.
"Each new generation is a fresh invasion of savages - H Allen"
5/5

I really like the way this card would play. It incentivizes you to build your deck in a certain way to maximize its effect (as many taxing effects do) as well as staying true to the color pie. The "tap" effect is generally a white ability, even if it is on lands. 8/10

ShamedShadow
Quote:
Bind to the Lifeblood 3BB

Enchantment [Rare]

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses life equal to the number of creatures that player controls.

Sacrifice a creature: The controller of the sacrificed creature gains 1 life. Any player may activate this ability.

This is definitely an interesting and creative design, but it doesn't really "tax" so to speak. Taxing means that it would be harder to do things normally, this just kills you for playing creatures. Something like, creatures spells players cast cost 1 more for each creature they control would be a taxing ability. But, I do really like the design, and it IS almost a taxing effect. So, 5.5/10

GreenBear:

Quote:
Study of the Soritami 2U

Sorcery [uncommon]

Draw a card for each creature target opponent controls, then discard a card.

Its an interesting card, but it is very off-theme. There is no way this is a taxing card at all. A taxing card makes things harder to do, it doesn't reward you directly for your opponent doing things. 2/10

Radioactivez:

Quote:
Pulse of Nature 3GG

Enchantment (Rare)

Creatures spells cost you 1 less generic mana to cast for each creature you control. If this would reduce a creature's converted cost to Zero it reduces it to one instead.

Non-Creature spells you cast cost you 1 more mana to cast.

This is sort-of like a taxing effect, but it looks a lot more like just a good creature cost-reducer than a taxer. The last clause looks like it was thrown onto there to make it a taxer. Also, it doesn't affect your opponent, which makes it less of a taxer and more of a straight up build-around-card. 4/10

Jacois:

Quote:

Dimensional Dawdling UUU
Enchantment *Rare*

Whenever a nonland permanent would enter the battlefield from anywhere other than exile, exile it with one time counter on it instead. If it doesn’t have suspend, it gains suspend.

"Your summoning from Dominaria has been retimed. Your new time of arrival is : shortly. We are sorry for any inconvenience." - Izzet interdimensional traffic controller.

I really like this card, it has a very on-color ability with a very interesting ability that really changes the way the game is played by both players. The most interesting taxing effects are the ones that are symmetrical like this. Really cool. 9/10

kenny180:

Quote:

tangle wire of the void 3

artifact rare

Fading 4 (This artifact enters the battlefield with four fade counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from it. If you can't, sacrifice it.)

Whenever a player casts a spell with converted mana cost less or equal to the number of time counters on tangle wire of the void, counter that spell.

Not very unique and it isn't really a taxing effect. 2/10

Grok:

Quote:
Selkie Blackmailer --- 1UG
Creature --- Merfolk Rogue --- Rare

When Selkie Blackmailer enters the battlefield, return each other creature to its owner's hand unless its controller pays 1 for that creature.

At the beginning of your upkeep, return another creature you control to your hand unless you pay 1.

2/3

First off, this card isn't really a taxer. It is more of a reflector mage effect I think. However, this is a SUPER cool design that I could probably be used again for a CAC. Just all the interactions that happen within this one card are super cool. 5/10

Stucco:

Quote:

Wild Brushcrusher.......G
Creature - Elephant........U

Trample

Wild Brushcrusher can't attack unless you pay G.

3/3

Eh, not very unique, not a taxer. 0/10

McDonalds

Quote:
Constricting French Fries
Artifact
Rare

When you cast Constricting French Fries, purchase one Super Sized French Fries from your local McDonald's and put it onto the battlefield.

Creatures can't attack you unless their controller eats one French Fry for each creature he or she controls that's attacking. Creatures your opponents control can't block unless their controller eats one French Fry for each creature he or she controls that's blocking.

When there are no French Fries left to eat, creatures your opponents control can't attack or block.

Seems bothersome to be on the battlefield, but other than that, I'm lovin' it!

Triplekriz:
Quote:
Pain of Evolution
BG
Enchantment
Rare
At the beginning of each endstep, if a creature entered the battlefield this turn and it had the largest converted mana cost amongst creatures on the battlefield, that player loses life equal to half that creature's converted mana cost rounded down.

This really isn't a taxer as I said in a previous submission because it uses life. Life more often than not isn't a method of taxing even though it can be precarious to be low on life. 5/10

AxiomBlurr:

Quote:
Realmshear Device 2

Legendary Artifact - Mythic

Universal Landfall - Whenever a player puts a land onto the battlefield put a Tondendas counter on Realmshear Device.

Whenever there are four Tondendas counters on Realmshear Device, remove all counters from all cards called Realmshear Device. If you do, the player with the highest number of lands, sacrifices lands until he or she has the same number of lands as the player with the least.

Urza had unsuccessfully worked on the Realmshear Device for a millenia before his apprentice Mishra gave him the formula to perfect its mechanism.

This is actually a really interesting taxing effect because it doesn't directly tax. It doesn't make your spells cost more, or make you not able to activate abilities or anything, but indirectly it makes playing lands harder, therefor making your spells being cast harder. I really like it, nice job. 8/10

IvanDano:

Quote:
Surrender to Darkness

BB

Enchantment

Rare

During each player's upkeep, that player pays 1 or discards a card at random from their hand.

Not very creative and not really a taxing effect. Just makes them decide between paying or discarding, not say "whenever a player casts a spell, they must pay 1 or discard a card". 2/10

kamphgruppe:

Quote:
Thought Disruption BG - Rare

Enchantment

Whenever a player draws a card beyond their first for the turn, that player loses 2 life.

An oppressive foreboding feeling set in the moment Xan entered Golgari lands. It was painful to even think!

Cool card, but I don't understand why it is green. 6/10

skeven:

Quote:
reckless bat (B)
flying 2/2 uncommon
when this creature enters the battlefield sacrifice a land,
unless you controle atleast 2 other black creatures

Not a taxing effect, not unique. 0/10

The winner of this round is: Jacois!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg jacois
go next
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was not sure if my card was a taxing card. Sadly I missed your memo on how you define the effect. Also nice to see a create a card where the actual best card won.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WP Jacois - post next please, these things are a super important part of my job!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2