Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament type Mirrormatches

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Tournament type Mirrormatches Reply with quote

Today I had a discussion about what is skill in Magic, what is the most skill-intense format and we came to the conclusion that most formats suck, and only Mirrormatches really excell in skill-requirement to win.

Therefore, I had the idea to start a tournament or two where everyone plays the same deck. Mirrormatches have a 50% matchup, so skill is one of the most deciding factors.

Would you be interested in this format?

I can imagine to play mirrormatches of the same 75 cards, where the host(me) decides for some deck, probably some midrange of controldeck and then players play it out to find out who's the best.

I will run an event of this format this Sunday in the evening (2 PM EST, 8 PM CET) - Players will run this deck:

4 Stifle
3 Spell Pierce
4 Ponder
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
3 Chain Lightning
4 Brainstorm
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Wasteland
3 Volcanic Island
3 Tropical Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 Sulfuric Vortex
SB: 2 Submerge
SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
SB: 2 Rough // Tumble
SB: 1 Pyroblast
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Null Rod
SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 1 Firestorm
SB: 1 Ancient Grudge

Last edited by derflippi on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
abzanasshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id be in
_Godica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RUG delver mirror is the most skill-testing magic I have ever played in my life. However, it still would have the same sample-size issue as anything else -- the best player will rarely win any given tournament regardless of the format, but they should expect to do the best in the long run.

derflippi wrote:
Mirrormatches have a 50% matchup, so skill is one of the most deciding factors.

This is just wrong imho. If the skill gap is huge, that can be the most deciding factor. If the skill gap is medium/small, who plays first or who draws more [best card in the matchup] is WAAAAY more important than who is a slightly better player.
triplekriz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If skill is what you are testing, best 3/5 would be a good way to do the rounds since there's less room for luck and focus is also helpful in a skilled player.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest cutting sideboards and just having 60 card decks. I also suggest choosing decks where the die roll is as meaningless as possible.
SpamPoppy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is if you choose a skill-intensive deck, you'll end up favouring people knowing the tech already :/
dannydb
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i think this would be a pointless exercise unless you played vs person who played that deck and were experienced with it even if its a format there experienced in (I've played quite a lot of jund, living end and quite recently tron, how ever i'm terrible at twin, i've tried but its just not a deck i enjoy playing or have had a lot of success with)

then some mirrors are very luck dependent game one, or the game compleatly changes game 2- e.g jund mirrors is all about doing more with the resources you have and most of the time decends in to topdeck wars where as the living end is all about filling your graveyard quicker than your opponent all while trying to get them to cascade
radioactivez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be better if you used brews as using decks that are online would taint the results as I assume people want legit testing here. And about your "best format" idea the answer is simple. Draft wins hands down more skill involved than anything because you are constantly reapplying ur craft not just new decking a deck offline and learning it.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated. Tournament on Sunday 27th, 7 PM GMT. See Starting post.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1