Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gauging Interest: Throwback Thursday Draft

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments
KenCarson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Gauging Interest: Throwback Thursday Draft Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just got set up as a Judge/TC and I'm looking to start a fun, weekly tradition. Throwback Thursday! It's an homage to an odd thing people do here in the States. Basically, people post pictures of themselves from school or a song they loved while 12 years old to reminisce about how great it was (or horrid) to live back then. And since it fits alliteratively, we do it on Thursdays.

Well, I'd like to bring that flavor to ML, but in the format of flashback drafts. Return to Ravnica, Mirrodin, Innistrad, and other planes, and relive the glory days of Transmuting, Affinity for Artifacts, and Spider Spawning. The format might bring back Glory or Recurring Nightmares (actually, I think Exodus will not be something we revisit... Odyssey block is on the table though).

I'll likely start taking entries for these around 6:15pm EST and look to fire the draft by 6:30pm EST. First 8 to sign up get to jump in the way back machine! Please post here if you are interested and also a list of sets/blocks you wish to draft.
Hades
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have IRL drafts on Thursday nights at my college, so I'm not sure I'll be able to make these, but they sound sweet.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kewl. Glad to see you taking the initiative to set this up, Ken. Lemme know when you do RGD!

edit: TS is good, too. Gotta love karoos and suspend.
KenCarson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely that Ravnica will be among the first planes we re-visit. I think that tonight is probably too early notice, and next week is an American holiday... but I could probably run a tourney during our family football marathon.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 3 sets for limited are

1. rise of the eldrazi
2. kamigawa block
3. original mirrodin block

tempest is pretty sweet also

rgd is vastly overrated, people forget with that format how often you end up with bad mana and spend a lot of the time unable to cast your spells.
KenCarson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response GreenBear. It's certainly true that many formats have pitfalls and not everyone is going to be in for every draft set. It's only the first 8 who sign up!

I am going to try to do one this evening at 6:15pm EST. It'll either be ROEx3 or RTRx3, whatever the room seems more likely to support. I hope you can make it!
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I doubt I will be able to make it, as from Monday I'm working 6 days a week 10-8 up until we break up for Christmas. But if this runs for a while any of the sets I mentioned I would be interested drafting.Smile
pascal3000
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in!
radioactivez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather do a Draft league, preferably a std draft league, you make a 6 pack sealed your choice of the sets in std, and you draft 2 packs a week. every time you draft your deck size grows by 2 cards. The rules for sets would be you cannot do more than 3 of a set in your sealed, and you cannot draft the same set 2 times in a row. So if ur sealed is bfzx3 and ktkx3 you cannot draft either one until the second draft. then the first draft you did Orix2 that means you cannot do ori in the second draft. 10 rounds. Any takers?
Grok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:
Rather do a Draft league, preferably a std draft league, you make a 6 pack sealed your choice of the sets in std, and you draft 2 packs a week. every time you draft your deck size grows by 2 cards. The rules for sets would be you cannot do more than 3 of a set in your sealed, and you cannot draft the same set 2 times in a row. So if ur sealed is bfzx3 and ktkx3 you cannot draft either one until the second draft. then the first draft you did Orix2 that means you cannot do ori in the second draft. 10 rounds. Any takers?

Guitardude tried to start something like this a couple of times recently. Internal disagreements over how the rules worked (some of us didn't like that there was trading) caused it to dissipate. I would be open to joining a more traditional sealed league like you are describing, and I'm sure Guitardude would be willing to work with you to organize it too.
KenCarson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioactivez wrote:

I do this (more or less) IRL with guys I know from work. Pretty cool format.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only part i am unsure of how to manage is pools and how would we set up the "drafts" say person A wanted bfz and ori but person b was on FRF and ktk. not sure there is a draft program that will allow each player their own packs. We just started one at my store i got a drana and 2 vents in my esper deck right now. Smile thinking about branching into red for some removal and cutting the blue. Trading would NOT be permitted. Too many instances of people just being "nice" and doing uneven color swaps. If Guitar wants to chat back and forth i am more than happy to, after the Thanksgiving holiday as i am usually offline during holidays
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic-League Tournaments All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1