Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defending green in bfz limited

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Defending green in bfz limited Reply with quote

A lot of people have been slamming green in BFZ draft. I've been getting my best result's with green so i made a youtube video defending the colour. Showing decks I've won with which are green and some game play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQUztmHEU4

Hope you enjoy.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the trouble with green. In BFZ draft, you really want to pick one of the 4 archetypes instead of just an open color. There is Wxx allies, Eldrazi Ramp, RG Landfall, and UBx Ingest. The green ramp is overcosted already, but still at a premium because all 4 decks want either fixing or ramp and green is in every archetype. You certainly can build a good deck with green in it - in fact, it's hard to build a good deck with no green at all. But you have to fight for it, and it'll never be very deep.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch the video (if you have'nt already) you will see me winning with a multitude of green decks. Including rg and gw landfall, I really like the landfall strategy i think it's very powerful, but also with what is just really a solid gb deck. All decks have ample synergy personally I feel it is very possible to draft synergistic green decks, and I do not like the ramp strategy at all, its not what i'm going green for.
Csquared08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"you really want to pick one of the 4 archetypes instead of just an open color. There is Wxx allies, Eldrazi Ramp, RG Landfall, and UBx Ingest."

Hold on, what?

There are definitely more archetypes than that.

For starters, RW allies is very different from GWx allies. RW is straight beatdown and almost never splashes. It uses a strong curve featuring Rally synergy to win. GWx focuses on green's decent fixing to splash for powerful allies and usually wins by building a board, chipping away with a flyer or two, then slamming a Tajuru Warcaller or Tajuru Beastmaster for a huge attack.

RG landfall is hardly an archetype. There's no real "reward" for jumping in on an all landfall deck. It is, however, a powerful aggressive strategy.

You didn't even mention UW flyers/awaken, which is one of the more powerful decks in the format. It can apply a lot of hard-to-deal-with-pressure and force its opponents to play into white's powerful removal. This pairs very nicely with blue's strong tempo plays.

The Eldrazi decks are also very different. UB is a control deck focusing on the interaction between ingest and processing. UR is a midrangey Devoid-focused deck. RB is an aggressive deck that also cares about Devoid, but it often tries to be a lot faster than its UR cousin.

And finally, what you called Eldrazi Ramp is probably more similar to UG converge. This deck takes advantage of green's fixing and blue's tempo, plus both colors' ability to make lots of Scions, to stay alive and cast powerful spells of almost any color. And thanks to all the Scions green and blue can make, it can go big with giant Eldrazi.

The format is not limited to four archetypes. There are decks you didn't mention, and decks you combined that really have no business being combined.

EDIT: And I completely forgot to mention the WB lifegain+allies deck. Kalastria Healer is awful in every single deck, but in this one, it shines. There are real payoff cards that really reward you for going deep on the allies combined with the lifegain.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no drafting in the video. That would be better. Also not sure I would call this winning, as from the cards you had you clearly had no intention of winning. There are many archtypes in BFZ a good chunk of them do not care about green. Just last week i was u/w High defense and my friends r/g landfall could not get through. most of his creatures had 0 to negative power even with landfall triggers Galore. i had 2 damping fields and 3 coils. not to mention 1 adverse conditions, 1 statis cell/ 3 sheer drops, 2 clutch of currents and 2 fortified ramparts in the main. I was built to last a long game and win with my breaker of armies and ruin processors. green only has 1 plus going for it. Beefy creatures. but they are all overcosted and you have to drudge through some garbage to play them. Every archtype can run beafy eldrazi if they get any good ones. Someone said its like AVR where black was horrible and you could draft black and win. its like that but green is Far worse than the AVR black was. I am not trying to say you are wrong. just your idea is wrong for 90% of people.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely disagree with you I don't feel people are drafting green correctly. Landfall is a good aggressive stratergy, the eldrazi are by enlarge to slow the format. People who draft green looking to ramp into big spells, are the people who are losing with green.

And I did win with the cards, so clearly i did intend to win and did and as it stands currently my limited rating on modo is 1874 not to bad. I'm not saying green is the best strategy but it is very viable and no where near as bad as people make out. Last 2 8-4 finals I have played though i was not green myself, my opponents were green and got 2 respectable second place finishes.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runs bala ged and says he came to win.......yep. you sure did. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably won more in my life time than the entire lineage of your family put together stfu.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not want to start a fight so calm down bro. i was being honest. bala ged is a cheap win and never counts. if you consider those wins then you probably consider mana screw wins. and as a high caliber of player I do not. Seeing as i am the only person in my lineage who plays mtg i doubt you have won more than me. but alas its not a dick measuring contest.
Csquared08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, radioactivez. If you consider Bane of Bala Ged to be "a cheap win that never counts," what in the world did you do during Rise of the Eldrazi when Annihilator was a featured mechanic?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I won 15 8-4's in a row largely thanks to ulamogs crusher.
radioactivez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in roe i won 90% of my drafts and i had only 1 rule i always went blue something. i never played the huge titans. i won because i was able to handle things, and not have these high costed things in my hand with no way to cast them. Blue/red was probably my most featured archtype then, and i was not such a prideful player then, so i was not so concerned with the low calabier status some of those wins were.

Since isd i became a much better player and became concerned with how I go about winning games with pride. This has made me a Much better player.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1