Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abzan Midrange(Megamorph) SB Guide/Primer

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Jinete_dV
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Abzan Midrange(Megamorph) SB Guide/Primer Reply with quote

Primer: Play this if you want to bump and grind, mostly the grinding part. Abzan keeps it's spot in the metagame because it has the best average card quality, if you can drive the game into a spot where both players have little resources and no cards in hand, Abzan will win from there most of the time. Though this is not plan A, plan A is resolve your best spells turn after turn and just out power your opponent, using your natural 2for1s like Den Protectors, Rhinos, Abzan Charms, Coursers, Tasigurs, planeswalkers, and wraths to gradually put you into a spot where your opponent is out of resources and you're still going strong.
This requires that time and space your threats and removal properly, don't waste your removal on cards that can otherwise be dealt with or ignored. Thoughtseize gives you the information you need to do this and also just format knowledge of what people's average 75s will look like.

Sideboard Guide: This is a guide, not to be taken literally for each matchup listed below, because (obviously) everyone's 75 is slightly different. List for the guide:

4 Den Protector
4 Deathmist Raptor
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Siege Rhino
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Windswept Heath
3 Temple of Silence
2 Plains
2 Forest
4 Temple of Malady
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
3 Llanowar Wastes
1 Caves of Koilos
3 Abzan Charm
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize
1 Murderous Cut
2 End Hostilities
SB: 2 Dromoka's Command
SB: 3 Arashin Cleric
SB: 1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
SB: 1 Nissa, Worldwaker
SB: 3 Drown in Sorrow
SB: 3 Ultimate Price
SB: 1 Duress
SB: 1 Mastery of the Unseen

Esper Dragons
-2 End Hostilities
-1 Satyr Wayfinder
-1 Hero's Downfall/+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor (I'll make this change if I don't seen Ugin/Ashiok game one)
+1 Duress
+1 Mastery of the Unseen
+1 Nissa, Worldwaker

RG Devotion/Dragons
-1 Satyr Wayfinder
-2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
+3 Ultimate Price
-1Deathmist Raptor/+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor (If you feel like you need more life gain)

Mirror/Abzan Control
-1 Satyr Wayfinder
-1 Thoughtseize
+1 Mastery of the Unseen
+1 Nissa, Worldwaker

Atarka Red
-3 Hero's Downfall
-2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
-4 Thoughtseize
-1 Abzan Charm
-2 Den Protector
+3 Arashin Cleric
+3 Drown in Sorrow
+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
+3 Ultimate Price
+2 Dromoka's Command

Abzan Aggro
-1 Thoughtseize
+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Mardu Dragons
-1 Hero's Downfall
-1 Satyr Wayfinder
-1 Murderous Cut/+1 Mastery of the Unseen (If you feel like their deck is light on threats)
+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
+3 Ultimate Price

Heroic
-3 Hero's Downfall
-1 Courser
+2 Dromoka's Command
+3 Ultimate Price
+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
_Godica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't super relevant since heroic is basically dead, but you definitely want Duress against it, and I have a hard time imagining Dromoka's Command being better than Downfall.
Jinete_dV
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went on mtgtop8 and started writing up sb plans for all the biggest decks til I hit one that I didn't expect would show up. i.e. Heroic.

I don't think that Duress is necessary since if Thoughtseize hits all their creatures then their noncreature spells don't do anything and they ALWAYS have more enchantments/instants to buff their creatures, the easiest resource to choke them on is their creatures. I like Dromoka's Command against them because that unblockable enchantment can just invalidate this whole deck if by some chance we can't just kill the creature or block it and it's the enchantment likely to stick around while the ordeals get sacc'd eventually. Downfall is WAY too slow vs heroic and Ultimate Price is effectively replacing them post sb.
_Godica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess people are still trying to force it because it's so cheap. Hell I'd still be playing it if it were even close to viable. It hasn't been good since shortly after FRF was released though, even though it can occasionally get value from people sideboarding suboptimally against it Razz

You can't count on even casting Thoughtseize before they've played a creature, let alone hitting a 1-creature hand. Is Duress worse than Thoughtseize? Absolutely. That's no reason not to bring it in. If you assume that they ALWAYS have ways to protect their creatures, then you NEED to be able to trade for those as efficiently as possible.

Enchantment removal just isn't good against Heroic. The way to punish Aqueous Form or Stratus Walk is by killing the creature it's played on, which Downfall does a lot more reliably than Command. There is nothing wrong with playing Price and Downfall together. Remember heroic can draw a lot of cards and play a reasonable lategame, especially postboard, and if the game goes longer than about 6 turns Downfall is just infinitely better than Command.
Jinete_dV
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, modified the sb plan.

-1 Courser
-2 Elsepth, Sun's Champion
+3 Ultimate Price
+1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
+1 Duress
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1