Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eidolon of Great Revel

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Dooby12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Eidolon of Great Revel Reply with quote

Can someone please explain to me why this card is being played in burn? It seems to me that playing it just hurts you worse than it does help you. Is there something that I'm missing with it?
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control's answers to your game plan are generally low cost - think lightning bolt, path to exile, cantrips to dig for answers.

Your purpose for the card is to deal 6-8 damage by itself - by the time the damage you take yourself matters, the opponent should be dead.
Magx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean.

I play burn and while it's true it's really good against infect, I'm not sold on the card. It happens lots of times that I'm at 13 or 12 and I would like way better to burn my opponent's face than taking burning him AND take two...

I suppose it's a kind of a playstyle... if you don't like the card, don't play it.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card makes burn tier 1.

Why is the card great, it is symmetrical effect that the cards you play break the symmetry. For example most of burns spells net 3 damage of more per card, example lighting bolt deals 3 to opponents head. Thats 1 mana 3 damage and eidolon deals 2 to you.

Yes if your opponent lighting bolts you they get the same value, wherever, burn has a critical mass of these symmetry breaking cards, rift bolt, lava spike, boros charm ect ect. Where as most decks do not have cards that can break the symmetry and are forced to take damage just to push thier own game plan, damage is burns game plan Making them have to play right into burns plan.

Now even if they kill eidolon immediately they are still taking 2 from him and using a removal spell that isnt hitting goblin guide or swiftspear or grim lava mancer
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This card is good because it allows you to beat combo decks that were simply to fast for you with ease. And in doing so has made burn a tier 1 strategy. Storm Straight up scoops game 1 and its also amazing vs any deck, using cheap cantrips (which almost always make good magic cards) as a core part of its stratergy.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to under stand why EotGR is a good card, read this classic article.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/standard/7157_The_Philosophy_of_Fire.html
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1