Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Proteus Staff deck

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
adribond007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Modern Proteus Staff deck Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a deck idea I played quite some time ago in extended. As the current metagame has lots of mid-range aggro decks and also lots of combo, I though it might be a great idea to develop a pure control deck with a combo win.

Here's my current list:

// Artifacts
4 Proteus Staff
2 Isochron Scepter

// Removal
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Path to Exile

// Tokens
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Raise the Alarm

// Control & Counters
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand

// Drawing
4 Serum Visions
3 Telling Time

// Eldrazis
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

// Land
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Island
4 Plains
4 Flooded Strand
4 Mutavault

SB: 2 Isochron Scepter
SB: 3 Spell Snare
SB: 3 Vedalken Shackles
SB: 4 Into the Roil
SB: 3 Dispel

As you will have discovered by now, the idea of the deck is to control the game until you can play a proteus staff on a token/mutavault to convert it into an eldrazi. I haven't played in a while so I might be missing some good cards. Also I feel the sideboard needs improvements, but I can't really find the problems.

After some testing, the deck seems to work very well against abzan like decks, fairly well against combo, however, it tends to lose more against faster decks, such as infect.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks for your help!
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason you feel that Proteus Staff is better than Polymorph in that slot?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi your deck is fairly clean cut. But I see a few issues.

Firstly your better off just playing 2 emrakul as path to exile is a card, more so than ever in light of all the twin.

If your having issues with aggro and with burn being a major player, I would recommend a few main deck timely reinforcement's, as they help with your deck's plan anyway. Cut some supreme verdicts, I do not think you can afford to play more than 2 in the current meta, its to slow and there are so many combo decks.

Personally I would also add, some thirsts for knowledge over telling time in case you draw both eldrazi, some signets and main deck shackles 1 or 2. Stealing your opponents creature then turning it into emrakul is fairly strong.

I also like main deck spell snare as a 2 off in any semi controlling deck, its great vs anything that is not living end. Kalani garden is a card that may interest you also.

I dislike 4 remand as its so weak on the draw and vs decks just full of cheap spells, see affinity, burn, infect, where it does very little.

On the board, threads of disloyalty is great vs zoo as its much faster than shackles. Leyline of sanctity is great vs burn and stops junk from picking your hand apart. Gut shot is great vs infect. Or you could go with polymorph/staff into sideboarded elesh norn.

Last edited by GreenBear on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way you could take this deck, is to take chapin's bw token shell and adapt it a little to include a combo kill with polymorph. Control is a bad idea at the moment your getting attacked from to many angles to cover all bases. A proactive approach with a combo element is likely much stronger.

Windbrisk height's plus emrakul, also work's great. The mana in not the best in such a list but workable as long as you use filter lands. However bloodmoon as a consequence is super strong vs you.
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
Firstly your better off just playing 2 emrakul as path to exile is a card, more so than ever in light of all the twin.

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way, but Emrakul itself doesn't care about Path to Exile.

Don't know if this is any good, but looking at the deck and comments, this is what I came up with. Probably not any good, but it could be interesting to play at least. It has the combo, but it's probably too fragile, and it has a throwback to the old Scepter/Chant decks:

1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Polymorph
4 Vedalken Shackles
4 Isochron Scepter
4 Silence
4 Mana Leak
4 Boomerang
4 Path to Exile
2 Thirst For Knowledge
1 Timely Reinforcements
4 Serum Visions

4 Mutavault
4 Flooded Strand
4 Hallowed Fountain
8 Island
4 Plains
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your reading it wrong. I said play 2 emrakul not 1 emrakul 1 ulamog because of path to exile.
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
Yes your reading it wrong. I said play 2 emrakul not 1 emrakul 1 ulamog because of path to exile.

Ok, yeah. It seemed a little to obvious for such a simple mistake that I knew I must have been mistaken. Thank you for the clarification.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well path to exile is a card, is not the clearest explanation of what I meant, so I can see where the misunderstanding arose.
Asukafan2288

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi if your playing Isochron Scepter why no love for Phyrexian Metamorph its Scepter 5/8 why not play them..

2 watch out for graveyard combos i be seening them more now and then due to the gravetroll beeing unbanned so yeah pack some hate in the borad for it like
Bojuka Bog orScavenging Ooze or Tormod's Crypt or Relic of Progenitus or Rest in Peace is need to fight them but anyway thats more my meta but besides that why no Lingering Souls great card to use with the staff if your haveing red problems why not try Kor Firewalker great times with him or try Leyline of Sanctity if you got them..bye
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1